Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Lube flowing down into 9mm magazine after firing 40 rounds.Counterfeit bullet Lube?

Lube flowing down into 9mm magazine after firing 40 rounds.Counterfeit bullet Lube?

Bought some "Lyman" 50/50 on Amazon because of the low price. While shooting , the whole top of the magazine became wet from the lube.
    Barrel leaded.

No marking on the tubes, like the photo.

Never seen this before in 50 year shooting.

Do you think this is some counterfeit bullet Lube?? Not Lyman?
    Last edited by 243winxb; 07-16-2021 at 08:09 AM.

Boolit Master

is this a trick question
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    How is the smell and texture when at room temp? I think it looks a little too light colored for the Real NRA 50/50. Do you have some Lyman 50/50 to compare the smell and touch with? Keep in mind that my 50/50 is not lyman and perhaps darkens with age.

No smell from both that i can tell. Would have to heat it, i think?

Lyman is lighter color & softer then the RCBS Pistol Lube.

Lyman has on their package "NRA Formula" Us old casters know the real Alox used is long gone. On #3 now i think.

Mainly looking for a lube that doesnt need a heater when its 60 F degrees in the basement. Needs to work at 70F or above in Lyman 450.

Tried the White Label Lube 50/50 a while back, needed a heater. Now the White Lube has a different replacement (?) for that Alox.

Coating the Lyman lubed bullets with Lee Liquid Alox should stop the flow/leading?

Super Moderator

I'd be suspect of the tubes not being marked, coming from Amazon. FWIW, my only experience with 50/50 lube was with RCBS's version. It was WAY too soft and runny, and I ended up going with White Label's 2500+.

Boolit Buddy

Zero customer reviews and now not available.
    I could only find it on the Canadian Amazon site.

Something is sketchy about this item.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lyman-Products...ws_feature_div

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I wonder if White Label Lubes found a replacement for Alox 350? https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...n-Discontinued

The "NRA formula" should not be used any more Imo. Long gone.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    I wonder if White Label Lubes found a replacement for Alox 350? https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...n-Discontinued

The "NRA formula" should not be used any more Imo. Long gone.
    I was going to order 20 sticks of 50/50 alox/beeswax from a lube maker ...about 1978 -1979 (late 70's)
    when he told me the old Alox formula had been changed ... and he really didn't like the "new" alox .
    He said he had what he believed to be a much better lube ... Lithium Grease / Beeswax and offered to send me three sticks of that lube ... if I didn't like it I owed him nothing .
    Well I tried it , loved it and placed an order for 40 sticks . Running low in 2012 I emailed him about lube . They no longer make it but he gave me the recipe :

1 part lithium grease (Lucas Red-N-Tacky is what I use)
    3 parts beeswax
    Now this is a soft lube and should flow easily ...but if you want it softer increase the lithium grease . The Lucas Red-N-Tacky doesn't get hard and I have seen people use a 1 to 1 blend , which makes a very soft lube ...maybe too soft ... in case try more beeswax , like a 1 to 2 ratio ...
    That lube should be soft enough to flow in your basement .
    All these years , I have tried other lubes but keep coming back to Lithium / Beeswax .
    Never had one leading problem with it in handguns or 30-30 cast boolit loads.
    The problem may be in the formulation of Alox that's now being used ...it ain't the old Alox for sure .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Making lube would be more work. Not for me Ty.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, that is one of many Amazon counterfeit scams. It's not unique to Amazon though, most major sites that allow private sales have such scams. Anytime you see the following, it is a scam.

A: The brand name is not listed anywhere except the title.
    B: There is not a complete description
    C: An American product is described in metric, or a foreign product in standard
    D: The only buying option is from somebody who doesn't sell large amounts on Amazon.
    E: You look at the add, and your spidey senses tingle

That add you posted a picture meets every single one of those. That looks like toilet bowl ring in a tube. While the Alox White Label Lubes used in 50/50 has been discontinued, he has I think a couple 55 gallon drums. He wont be running low for many years. Buy from him.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Making lube would be more work. Not for me Ty.
    Making the 1 part lithium grease / 3 parts beeswax is the easiest stuff to make .
    Heat and blend with a wire whisk in an old Crock Pot . Let cool . Three heating , blendings and coolings will get a total mix . I spoon the hot softened lube into my Lyman 450 so eliminate the making of hollow sticks ... I leave it cold in the crock pot and put the lid on it untill next time .
    Some make the process way too hard ... it doesn't need to be .
    You can also place/shove chunks of cooled lube into the reservoir ... it's soft and moulds right in on a warm day ... I do this when I need some in there and don't want to heat up the crock pot ... there's usually a layer of lube in the pot bottom .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Lyman would have their label on it. To get great 50/50 lube, use White's lube.

https://lsstuff.com/

Boolit Grand Master

Counterfeit bull lube? Who would have thought it?

I really like the White Label Lubes. It helps that he is local to me and a short trip just up the road.

Boolit Grand Master

I love Carnauba Red, but 60 degrees would be just a bit too cold for it. White Label lists Carnauba Blue as 70 degrees working temperature. It should work fine at 60 degrees and the 165 degree melt temperature keeps it in the grooves in all but the harshest environments.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy

The lack of a Lyman label makes me suspicious. I use Lyman Orange magic and won’t buy it from any seller that does not post an actual picture of the lube with the factory label.

You have to watch Amazon. They have counterfeit items galore. There is a router/cnc company named Whiteside. Good stuff. And about half of the items marked whiteside on amazon are fake. At $10 to $100 each it makes someone money..... like the theft it is.

Boolit Buddy

Definitely some shady types operating on Amazon. I wish Amazon would police those unscrupulous sellers better.

Coating with Alox over the "Lyman" lube stopped any leading. The other 2 sticks should be ok for fluxing.

Boolit Master
    On the Amazon site they show real or properly labeled “Lyman” brand lube sticks.
    In the description I read they come from China.
    That tells me the whole truth that is even the brand name product isn’t made by Lyman.
    Even if Lyman contracted with a China firm to make their brand name lube to the Lyman specifications what comes out the China factory door could be/will be anything but.
    They print the label to your specs and made the product to theirs.