Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: combo lyman ideal

Boolit Bub

combo lyman ideal

Were combo molds of same caliber with different bullet and different caliber all together on same mold custom orders? Can't find much info about them?

Boolit Master
    Yes. You could specify different designs in the same caliber, or even different calibers in your order for Ideal and early Lyman multicavity moulds. Back then, they would do custom work as well as turning out their standard off-the-shelf moulds. If you had an idea for a new design, they would make up a cherrie (at your expense) and cut a mould for you. If it was a success, they would add it to their catalog.

They were a lot like Accurate, Arsenal, NOE and MP are now.

Boolit Master
    Just cast with one today that has a 311359 (115g) and 311466 (153) bullet… odd spread. I’ve tried the -466 in my 30-06 but havent found a consistent load for it yet (rifle issue-loooongg leade kills short bullet performance.), didn’t even bother trying the -359.

Kinda makes me want to find something chambered in .30 Carbine to toy with..

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Just cast with one today that has a 311359 (115g) and 311466 (153) bullet… odd spread. I’ve tried the -466 in my 30-06 but havent found a consistent load for it yet (rifle issue-loooongg leade kills short bullet performance.), didn’t even bother trying the -359.

Kinda makes me want to find something chambered in .30 Carbine to toy with..
    It is precisely this problem that spoils the concept for most shooters. I have a 452-374/452-423. I could use the SWC's but the RN's just go back in the pot. It is very seldom that one finds all boolits equally useful cast from these combo molds. I saw a 4 cavity for sale that had a 38 WC, a 358-311 RN, a 311-466 30 cal boolit and a 457-193. Did anybody ever use equal amounts of these? I'm inclined to doubt it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the days when people ordered these "combo" moulds it was for the ultimate of thriftiness , most people bought single cavity ... I did because of cost ... but you could order the combo cheaper than two different moulds ...sounds good a rifle cavity and a handgun cavity ... while it sounds great ...it actually is a poor idea . It may be cheap , but you usually wind up with a lot of unneeded boolits . I shoot a lot more handgun than rifle ...you need to fill both cavities for heat ...therefore I got a lot of rifle boolits I don't need .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"