WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new ugly 357 Mag Lever rifle

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    OMG! That thing reminds me of an AR! It must be an ASSAULT RIFLE!

Congrats! If it feels good in your hand and shoots well - go for it! Looks to me like a good knock around rifle that will do the job and you don't have to fret about scratching up a good wood stock. "Form follows function" and it sounds like it would be a good little workhouse.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Quote Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
    Thanks for pointing out my numbers were off. Yes it does hold 8 rounds of 357 Mag. But boy it is a little tough on the fingers till she gets broken in loading them up. Thanks for all the comments guy's. Like I said I would have never looked twice at this rifle. In fact I turned it down twice until I picked it up to my shoulder the other day. That did it, now I am really liking this thing.

358429 here are the pictures you requested although not real good

That is awesome! I would bet, that if you got an oily microfiber rag, and just wiped it in random directions all over the rifle, that a lot of that rust might just disappear.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

You don't see any rust on the rifle. It is the camera showing it. I have wiped it down a couple times. I even looked at the front sight after these pictures, you can't see it with the naked eye. I might get a tooth brush and work on it. I wish the rifle was blued and not some kind of paint. I really think it is the flash, looking at the rifle again there is no rust. Must have been a glare with the barrel oiled up.
    Last edited by jstanfield103; 07-18-2021 at 12:00 AM.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    These tacky cool rifles have a certain appeal . I've always been a sucker for forged steel and walnut but there is a certain appeal in the fall in them bang it on a rock AR mod style too , I had a couple of kids that couldn't 10 feet off the road without running into something ......

I don't see how the blood and guts of it could go wrong being a 92' clone even with the rusty drill Rossi chamber . (Yes , I can say that I have 2 of them made 30 yr apart and both of them look like they were hogged out with chipped .490 straight reamers .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Ok guy's

The rounds have been a little stiff to put into the feeding tube. I have been reading up on this and it appears that Rossi uses the same magazine spring on 20" all the way down to the 16" barrels. I cut three inches off the magazine spring and still left 5" sticking past tube. Also filed the sides of the gate spring to lighten the gate up.

Now she feeds much easier and better. Happy with that part of the rifle now. Only thing left to do on this rifle is the hand stop that is due in Tuesday I believe.

I hate to say this, because I own several lever rifles mostly Marlins. But as of right now shooting wise, this might end up being one of my center fire favorites.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

We have a couple of shortened CBC single shot shotguns and they have been overbuilt 100% dependable farm tools for decades. I’m thinking that you will like that gun, especially if it eats .38 Special well.

Thanks, I am hoping with the 38's they feed alright but not real smooth. Hoping with time they will get better. But really I only buy .357 mostly and when reloading supplies come back I will only reload .357 and the couple of boxes of .38 brass that I have.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Try different overall lengths and bullet shapes to see what feeds best.

There's gotta be a happy medium somewhere... a payoff for the experimentation.

Apple's to oranges I know .. different rifles types and all... in my 77/357 I

loaded the 95 grain lee 380 bullet powdercoated, in 38 special brass with

3 grains alliant red dot. Feeds perfectly from the rotary magazine the power is low, report is in the mouse fart class.

Easily rapid fire 2 inches at 25 yards, perfect for plinking, or teaching new shooters, a couple months ago.

Everyone who shot it at the steel plate wanted to shoot it more....

ADMIN

threaded 1/2x28?

HATCH
    I believe so
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Just a note , the 45 Colts I had would not feed RP brass whether new ammo or hand loads and it didn't matter whether they were brass or nickel either . I fussed with the polishing and all and sold the RP brass it was all sticky in the pistols anyway .
    A buddy had one in SS it would run 38s from flush WC to TC to the Lee 358-158 like water through a hose but 357s would hang up I didn't put in the time I should have . I suspect that it was lift timing and the little bit of travel difference between the two got the 38s up just enough higher to feed .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Thank you,
    I have enjoyed all the comments so far in this thread. It's been fun reading them all.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Bub
    I have the same Levtac machine. Mine had the magazine tube cap stick out further than the shoulder of the threads. You could not thread on a suppressor without it crashing into the magazine cap. I removed the cap and faces off enough in the lathe and it was good to go.

I took mine apart and slicked up all surfaces but the lock bars and she runs excellent. It is an armadillo hammer!!

Lksdmachine,
    post a picture of yours. Would love to see it.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Bub
    Here’s a pic of mine….
    M-lok bipod with extendable legs.
    Leapers dot scope with green or red dot.
    Green laser designator underneath.
    Section of pic-rail for the laser designator.
    M-lok grip pads to cover the slots and give a good hold.

Using the laser designator with the red dot works best…..poor mans night vision!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B2DD2AAA-0AFB-4205-8BB7-E5A4F7F6EC5B.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	286375

Quote Originally Posted by Lksdmachine View Post
    Here’s a pic of mine….

Name:	B2DD2AAA-0AFB-4205-8BB7-E5A4F7F6EC5B.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	286375
    I like that rifle setup!

What loadings have you tried in it?

Boolit Bub
    I haven’t explored the whole gamut of boolit options. But I have recently experimented with my hollow base wadcutter mold. Loaded inverted and a nose reformed so it can feed out of this little Levtac gem. This is an easy boolit to make and has excellent low velocity results.

Then I made a new core pin for that HBWC mold to produce the next abomination of a projectile, but I haven’t perfected it yet. My first attempt used my sizer like a swage press and it required me to final size my bullets too small to smooth them out. Those deep hollow points had the aerodynamics of a banana. I haven’t messed with it since, but I will. I attribute the poor flight due to the undersized diameter.

I figure the super deep hollow point should open up nicely at sub 600fps velocities for ‘dillas….and possibly an excellent turtle popper without having the round come back out of the water…in theory anyway.

Name:	93CAF7E2-0F92-4284-9CF8-355A28F2452D.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	286376

Name:	68F3C2BD-4200-4C1F-B496-00D484F2094F.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	286377
    Last edited by Lksdmachine; 07-20-2021 at 11:28 AM.

A turtle popper, indeed!

(I wonder if powder coating would help with the sizing and forming process, by

acting as a slick plastic jacket.

My favorite is ultra gloss clear.

Helps me seat and crimp, load and fire bullets without damaging the thin deep

hollowpointed bullet noses, no leading as well, nice side benefit.)

You sir, have jumped into the deep end with both feet!

Is dillas = armadillos?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post

Is dillas = armadillos?

Yes sir……the ‘dillas must be killa’d.
    Hate those things! Nothing more disturbing than driving around the farm with a nice cool beverage and you hit a hole spilling said beverage.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    For a utility rifle that is going to get beat up anyway, I think it is about perfect! How much didja pay, if you don't mind me asking?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast