Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: .38APC vs .38Super

Boolit Buddy

.38APC vs .38Super

Need to know if .38ACP dies can be used to load .38Supers.
    TIA,
    Netherwolf

Boolit Buddy
    Yes. Dimensionally they are the same but were loaded to vastly different pressure levels with the Super being the hot one.

MLV

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Mike. I was pretty sure that's the way it is but I'm seperated from my library at present & couldn't double check. I knew the 38Super was the hotter of the two but wasn't sure if the manufacturers changed/stretched the case demensions of the 38 Super to prevent it from being chambered in the older 38ACP guns.
    Netherwolf

Boolit Master
    one of the few really bacd decision as far as i am concerned. tow vastly different pressures for essentially the same mechanical cartridge.

not a good idea....

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    How many 38 models of acp firearms were made however ?? AFAIK very few models, maybe only ONE ? Also a pistolsmith I know has a customer who insists on shooting 38 super in one 38 acp gun, and while it is ill advised and he tells him so over and over, he has not blown the gun up.

It is common in Europe from what you read anyway to sell high pressure loadings for cartridges like 6.5x55 and 7x57 that are only to be used in modern strong firearms, and low pressure loadings for the older guns.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    Some time ago I put a 9mm Para barrel on a Star Super for a local gun shop. The gun was originally 9mm Largo. The customer insisted on using 9x23 Winchester in it because he couldn't find any 9mm Largo. The customer was all for the 9mm Para barrel because he could find all sorts of ammo for that at reasonable prices. He shot quite a bit of the 9x23 ammo through that old Star and I could detect no damage to the gun when I took it apart. That 9x23 is one high pressure puppy. After switching the barrel the pistol functioned great with the original magazine.

Cheers,

Phil

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    yes, and you can use them to load 9X23 Largo too, and 9X23 Bergmann....

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    Yep, lots of versatility there. This guy didn't handload though.

Cheers,

Phil

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

38 acp

the 38 acp guns had a wedge to hold the slide on if it broke you got it in the face.
    the gov insisted that colt redesign the gun and it ended up as the 1911.I had one and shot the 38acp,it was still a potent cartridge.tthe mauser broom handle was like that.and I converted one to 38 acp from 9 mm.as there was no 9 mm at the time.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master

38ACP vs.38Super

Another precaution is not to use the 38 acp brass as .38 Super brass. The .38 ACP has a thinner wall design and will rupture the case in the unsupported part of the chamber. (1911 design) The IPSC group uses a special case that is thicker than the standard .38 Super. They use it because their loads exceed .38 Super pressures.

Boolit Buddy
    And the end result today is that if you buy 38 Super ammo and look at the velocities, it's the same as those quoted for the old 38 ACP. In other words there is no longer any 38 Super, just 38 ACP that's been renamed.

Boolit Buddy
    wv109323: You really got my attention saying you are from Lenore. I grew up in Mingo County in Williamson to be exact. I actually did a little substitute teaching at Lenore High School in the early '70s.

Mike Venturino

Firebird: you are exactly right. .38 Super nowadays only equals .38 ACP ballistics, and that's from actual chronographing one of U.S. Firearms 1911 .38 Supers.