Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Coleman fuel last indefinitely?

Boolit Master
    See my post on the Lantern mantles thread...
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    you are fine if the can dont rust from outside
    as a note . most towns have a place or 2 that carry RV non alch gas . its works the same ,but about 1.50 more . a gal
    look up RV gas in your town. in wv its about 3.75 gal
    but lot cheaper than the 15.00 i have seen on Colman
    and NO it is not low its 90 octane
    My local Shell has No ethanol gasoline pumps. Is this ok to burn in coleman stoves/lanterns?

any unleaded gas will work, but as said by a previous poster they will gunk up your stove or lanterns "generator" . Coleman a few years ago came out with models that were sposed to work with any gas. Propane stoves and lanterns are more the norm these days and you don't see as many of the gas types.

I still use one of mine to smelt my dirty lead. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    My local Shell has No ethanol gasoline pumps. Is this ok to burn in coleman stoves/lanterns?
    I can't speak for the lanterns, but yes, gasoline works in the stoves just fine. It doesn't have to be non-ethanol either. I've even run mixed 2 stroke gas through my stove. I'm sure it will crud up the heating tube faster than coleman fuel, but I clean it out yearly anyway.

That's what I really love about these stoves is their bone simple, bullet-proof system, I really wonder why anyone would ever mess with those garbage 1 lb propane bombs ever again. These coleman stoves will run on all the common fuels, gasoline, diesel, kerosene, white gas, etc. Do some research, and it will blow your mind how versatile these are with fuel. There's nothing to really fail unless you drop it and break the tank. If it doesn't pump up, I usually take the leather seal out, and flare it slightly, and it helps to wet with fuel. Maybe keep a spare leather taped inside the cover. These aren't fuel hogs either, a full tank must last me half a dozen meals at least, probably more.

I love these, a true end of the world tool that isn't a gimmick.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    Non ethanol gas still has a bunch of additives. The stoves probably handle the gunk pretty well, but I don’t think I’d burn it in a lantern.

In a pinch you can distill gasoline to get white gas. Takes a pressure cooker, you boil the gasoline and condense the fumes. Boiling gasoline is probably pretty nerve wracking, I’ve seen it done but have never done it myself. Probably violates some law.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Non ethanol gas still has a bunch of additives. The stoves probably handle the gunk pretty well, but I don’t think I’d burn it in a lantern.

In a pinch you can distill gasoline to get white gas. Takes a pressure cooker, you boil the gasoline and condense the fumes. Boiling gasoline is probably pretty nerve wracking, I’ve seen it done but have never done it myself. Probably violates some law.
    So you burn a fuel, to cook another fuel, to create a third fuel? I've been sitting here for a couple minutes trying to imagine a single situation where that would ever be a reasonable idea. I can't think of one.

Gasoline runs fine in the stoves. Actually not just fine, they work fantastic, every bit as good as Coleman fuel. When I clean that burner tube, it has a char crust inside. It is a simple matter to unthread it, unthread the nozzle, and run a cleaning brush through it a few times. Mines due for the yearly cleaning, I should take a picture. I ran mine the entire year last year on nothing but gasoline. This spring and summer I used it three times with mixed 2 stroke gas.

Coleman fuel is cleaner, but I don't consider it a huge benefit. The real benefit is that it doesn't go bad. You can keep the same can of fuel at your cabin for 10 years if you want. I've never tried to run a stove on 1 year+ old gas, and I have no idea how it would like it. Both fuel's light extremely easy, even well below 0, which is one drawback I've found to an alcohol stove if you've ever tried to use one. I've heard diesel works great, but I have to wonder if it doesn't suffer the same cold weather fate as alcohol fuels.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    So you burn a fuel, to cook another fuel, to create a third fuel? I've been sitting here for a couple minutes trying to imagine a single situation where that would ever be a reasonable idea. I can't think of one.

Gasoline runs fine in the stoves. Actually not just fine, they work fantastic, every bit as good as Coleman fuel. When I clean that burner tube, it has a char crust inside. It is a simple matter to unthread it, unthread the nozzle, and run a cleaning brush through it a few times. Mines due for the yearly cleaning, I should take a picture. I ran mine the entire year last year on nothing but gasoline. This spring and summer I used it three times with mixed 2 stroke gas.

Coleman fuel is cleaner, but I don't consider it a huge benefit. The real benefit is that it doesn't go bad. You can keep the same can of fuel at your cabin for 10 years if you want. I've never tried to run a stove on 1 year+ old gas, and I have no idea how it would like it. Both fuel's light extremely easy, even well below 0, which is one drawback I've found to an alcohol stove if you've ever tried to use one. I've heard diesel works great, but I have to wonder if it doesn't suffer the same cold weather fate as alcohol fuels.
    Sorry, can’t give you an example where it makes sense, but then I struggle doing so for making your own black powder and some other things. I do believe that you can distill old gas, the yield is lower.

Can you use Denature Alcohol in a Colman stove and lantern ?
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I have a very old coleman stove and have run nothing but pump gas through it for the last thirty years I have owned it. It actually works better (lights and burns clean quicker) with the alcohol gas. Never cleaned the burner tube and I know I've burned more than 10 gals of gas through it. I have also used it in lanterns without issues.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I have a very old coleman stove and have run nothing but pump gas through it for the last thirty years I have owned it. It actually works better (lights and burns clean quicker) with the alcohol gas. Never cleaned the burner tube and I know I've burned more than 10 gals of gas through it. I have also used it in lanterns without issues.
    I have always used white gas in mine. Have not used it in more then a few years. But my question is what octane gas do you use?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Can you use Denature Alcohol in a Colman stove and lantern ?
    I've never tried it, as I usually have an alcohol stove with me if I need it. My guess is that if you use the stove as intended, the flame will go out quickly. Alcohol turns to fumes at a very low temperature on it's own. In the heating tube of the coleman stove, my guess is it would evaporate immediately. You need a LOT more alcohol to equal the same quantity of gasoline. The amount of work required to do this would not be worth it. You can run alcohol as a stove with something as simple as a can filled with alcohol, bonus points if you make a lid and drill some holes in the lid and around the top edge of the can.

@XDROB, I'm guessing this a joke question, but I've run 87 octane ethanol, 91 non-oxy, and 105 racing fuel in mine. I might hesitate on 100 low lead Av gas. I'm disappointed to report they all smell the same. It does not smell like a race track with 105.

Boolit Master
    I use regular as it's the cheapist and has less additives than the higher octanes. Higher octanes are derived by adding things such as lead ( no longer used ). Now other things are added to raise the octane rating. The less the octane rating the less the additives. Lead used to be the standard additive for octane and was not so good for colemans as it doesn't burn and will deposit on the inside of the coleman heater tube. The nolead fuels don't seem to have that problem. White gas is no additive gas so has nothing to plug anything.

I've never tried it, as I usually have an alcohol stove with me if I need it. My guess is that if you use the stove as intended, the flame will go out quickly. Alcohol turns to fumes at a very low temperature on it's own. In the heating tube of the coleman stove, my guess is it would evaporate immediately. You need a LOT more alcohol to equal the same quantity of gasoline. The amount of work required to do this would not be worth it. You can run alcohol as a stove with something as simple as a can filled with alcohol, bonus points if you make a lid and drill some holes in the lid and around the top edge of the can.

@XDROB, I'm guessing this a joke question, but I've run 87 octane ethanol, 91 non-oxy, and 105 racing fuel in mine. I might hesitate on 100 low lead Av gas. I'm disappointed to report they all smell the same. It does not smell like a race track with 105.
    Thank you that is what I was looking to know, thank you for explaining it to me .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    @XDROB, I'm guessing this a joke question, but I've run 87 octane ethanol, 91 non-oxy, and 105 racing fuel in mine. I might hesitate on 100 low lead Av gas. I'm disappointed to report they all smell the same. It does not smell like a race track with 105.[/QUOTE]

Why do think this is a joke question?

I've never run any else through my Coleman stoves and or lanterns then the fuel that was sold for it. Never had to think of an alternate fuel. Have not used any of them in a few years. So have not had to talk about running gas in them. So was asking a question to see if there was a preferred octane.

Boolit Master
    Hehehe the fuel might but the can won't , I checked my can of Colman fuel in the shed and it's empty . Through evaporation or a rusty can it's empty .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by XDROB View Post
    Why do think this is a joke question?

I've never run any else through my Coleman stoves and or lanterns then the fuel that was sold for it. Never had to think of an alternate fuel. Have not used any of them in a few years. So have not had to talk about running gas in them. So was asking a question to see if there was a preferred octane.

You never joke about that kind of stuff? "Wow you got the lawn done quick, must have put some race gas in the mower."

I'm just wary because in the last week I got a bunch of nasty messages because I answered seriously to a question that was a joke (and I didn't know). And now I answered jokingly to an apparently serious question. What I said was true though, I've run all those octanes in my stove, and there is no difference at all. It's just not as fun as saying "I cooked Klotz burgers".

Boolit Buddy
    You never joke about that kind of stuff? "Wow you got the lawn done quick, must have put some race gas in the mower."

I'm just wary because in the last week I got a bunch of nasty messages because I answered seriously to a question that was a joke (and I didn't know). And now I answered jokingly to an apparently serious question. What I said was true though, I've run all those octanes in my stove, and there is no difference at all. It's just not as fun as saying "I cooked Klotz burgers".
    I was just asking because in the time I was using my stove and lanterns I never thought of using anything else then the original Colemen fuel.

Ya never know until you ask.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I always ran Coleman fuel in my stove lanterns and a catalytic heater I used to heat my airplane engine during the winter. I never tried to use gas, because I heard too many stories of how it ruined lanterns especially and probably would have caused problems with my catalytic heater.

I knew a guy who would only burn gas in his lantern, but he had a supply of replacement generators that he changed during the winter.

Coleman once came out with a line of products that you could burn Unleaded in. I think they were blue in color as I remember. I don’t know if they still make them.

I had a Coleman kerosene lantern. It worked, but you needed to preheat it with alcohol and that was a pain to have to carry an extra fuel.

I once had a kerosene stove on a boat. We used to burn paint thinner in it because it burned cleaner and hotter. We used a propane tourch to preheat the burner instead of alcohol. We used a garden sprayer fore the fuel tank. It held a lot more, you could put the whole gallon of paint thinner in at once and was much easier to pump up and lasted longer between refills.

Boolit Master
    In 1963 (at age 24) I applied for and acquired a free, special use permit for a piece of lake shore property from the BC forest service. In the interests of keeping this missive short (relatively speaking) I will leave out most of the ensuing history, except to say that in due course I managed to erect what passed for a cabin to use as a summer vacation home. Now, this place was totally off grid. There was road access that (depending on weather and use/abuse) often resembled a goat track more than a road. My palace (appropriately named Mosquito Manor) needed light, so I went out and bought a brand-new Coleman, double mantle lantern. Much to my aggravation, that lantern, once hot, had the annoying habit of producing a pulsating light, rather than the expected bright glow for which Coleman lights are famous. At a yard-sale I found an old single mantle Coleman lantern for a dollar. After a lot of cleaning and replacement of seals, I suddenly had the light I so desired! In communication with my parents, who lived in Manitoba, I mentioned the problem I had with the original lantern and shortly thereafter, I began to receive single mantel Coleman lanterns (several with CN etched into the glass globe). CN stands for Canadian National (railway) and these, in the past, had been used by railway signalmen. Some of these lanterns were designed to run on kerosene, while others used white gas (but I did not know that then). For those readers that are not familiar with Coleman lights, the procedure for lighting a white gas lamp/lantern is to; fill the tank with fuel, pump air into the tank, clear the generator, turn on the gas and light the lamp. Those appliances that run on kerosene require you to preheat the generator by burning alcohol in a small thimble size cup that fits loosely on the generator, before turning on the fuel supply. Now, at this point I feel it is only fair to admit that I have an affliction that borders on OCD, albeit selective OCD, in that when I begin to acquire certain types of “stuff” I tend to go a bit overboard at times. Over the next several years, flea markets, yard sales etc. produced no end of various Coleman products that followed me home. I acquired many Coleman lamps (as well as lanterns), again some of which ran on white gas and some on kerosene. I was introduced to the difference (rather rudely), when I reconditioned a double mantel Coleman lamp and began to test my efforts, with the lamp sitting on the kitchen table. I turned on the fuel, lit a match, applied the flame to the underside of the mantles, and promptly got a six-foot flame shooting up from all over the lamp from the top of the tank up. Oh---that’s what that little cup thingy on the generator is for, it is used to preheat the kerosene generator. I guess it is a good thing that I do not panic easily. I shut the fuel valve, grabbed the lamp by its base and ran outside and set the lamp on the cement sidewalk, where it continued to burn until all the released gas was gone. Thereafter, all gas appliance testing was relegated to the outdoors! After a little bit of thought and experimentation however, I discovered that with care, by opening and closing the fuel valve, one can release just enough white gas fuel to light safely and doing that a couple of times will serve to preheat the generator, causing the mantels to emit steady, bright light at which point it is perfectly safe to open the fuel valve fully. Be it known, therefore that one must determine which type of fuel is required before setting the appliance alight! If your light has a small metal cup through which the generator stem passes you most likely have a kerosene fueled light/lantern. If there is no small metal cup you may have a white gas light, but you may also have a light that has had that cup removed so, extreme care is a must! On Coleman two mantle lamps (not lanterns), look on the bottom if it is stamped R-55 generator use kerosene. On the small single mantle lanterns, the stamp on the bottom of the tank for kerosene is T-44. Once I understood how to make white gas burn safely in a kerosene lamp, I have used it for the last 50+ years. Next thing to try is unleaded car gas in the kerosene lights.
    R.D.M.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12