Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: A sad report on the times...

Boolit Master

A sad report on the times...

About a week before Thanksgiving of 2020 I placed an order for an XL750 Dillon press, along with a shell plate and reloading dies for 9mm. They told me then it would be 6 months or so. OK. Three months later, the press arrived. Another month or so, and the shell plate arrived. Months go by. I call about once a month, and the answer is the same; "you are getting close to the top of the list.".
    It is now July 14th, and I called them this morning. The latest date is now "twelve to fourteen months from my original delivery date.". Sigh...

The good news; I am saving money since I am not shooting my 9mm Sig Legion or my Beretta 92FS.

Take care, and God Bless! us every one,

Rich

Look on the bright side, you'll appreciate them more when the dies do arrive.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Doesn't the dillon take std 7/8x14 dies ?
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I know the 550 does and have used other manufacturer's dies though I do prefer Dillon. I would find some Redding, RCBS, etc dies elsewhere and start loading. Good luck.

I remember a few years ago the only thing that held me back from any of the good stuff was money. Now I have money and no way to buy pretty much anything. Just last night I was looking high and low for 357 Hornady gas checks and finally found ONE box of 1000. So I guess I will count myself lucky.

Boolit Master

.... i ordered my brother a loadmaster last month and he loves it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    About a week before Thanksgiving of 2020 I placed an order for an XL750 Dillon press, along with a shell plate and reloading dies for 9mm. They told me then it would be 6 months or so. OK. Three months later, the press arrived. Another month or so, and the shell plate arrived. Months go by. I call about once a month, and the answer is the same; "you are getting close to the top of the list.".
    It is now July 14th, and I called them this morning. The latest date is now "twelve to fourteen months from my original delivery date.". Sigh...

The good news; I am saving money since I am not shooting my 9mm Sig Legion or my Beretta 92FS.

Take care, and God Bless! us every one,

Rich
    well that stinks. You would think a single set of dies ordered with a press would get a wee bit of priority over random die orders. I guess you info tells me my January 9MM die order is going to be way longer than my anticipated 7 months. But as others have said, a relatively cheap set of Lee (or other brand) dies will do the job while you wait. That's what I did.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    All I can say is that I didn't flinch at whatever the price was I paid for a set of Hornady 9mm dies from the S&S forum. Finally got my youngest interested in shooting, and reloading, and I'm collecting stuff for her setup. I'm hoping she can't inherit my setup for a lot of years yet.

Though if she decides she needs a progressive press, she's on her own! If a SS press was good enough for her grandpa, and her dad, it's good enough for her! Unless the uncle decides to interfere...

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Yes they do, ordered an XL750 and conversion kit direct from Dillon on Thursday April 15th this year, no dies. Conversion kit arrived Saturday and press was at my door Monday. This despite a 16 week waiting period (at that time) per Dillon's website.

Boolit Bub
    My Dillon 9mm dies have been back ordered for about 5 months now. Two months ago I saw that Lee's 4-die set was available at Midway USA so I jumped on it. I'm really glad I did. I'm now using Lee dies for both .45 ACP and 9mm on my Dillon 550 and sure can't tell any difference between what they produce vs. what my three sets of Dillon dies produce with other cartridges. I do believe the Dillons with removable inserts for cleaning may be a slightly superior product but for the money, I think the Lee carbide set wins hands down.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I know the 550 does and have used other manufacturer's dies though I do prefer Dillon. I would find some Redding, RCBS, etc dies elsewhere and start loading. Good luck.
    The problem is, pretty much every manufacturer is backordered on dies, especially 9mm, and used dies on eBay are just nuts, though I think things have loosened up a bit since earlier this year. Before everything went upside down, I used to buy incomplete or surface rusted RCBS die sets for less than 25 bucks, give them a light bead blast in my blast cabinet that is close to the current RCBS finish. Well, long story short, I sold an early RCBS 9mm carbide die set that I might of had 35 bucks into for about $125 bucks. Now before everyone roast me for price gouging, I started the auction at less than I had in them, I think around 29 bucks.

Moderator Emeritus

I just did a fast search and midsouth shooters supply has Lyman and Lee I stock. I just looked real quick as I was surprised on comments of still being out I stock on common calibers.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I just did a fast search and midsouth shooters supply has Lyman and Lee I stock. I just looked real quick as I was surprised on comments of still being out I stock on common calibers.
    Yep - same with Lee's at MidwayUSA https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101119737?pid=885350

Boolit Buddy
    I saw one of these on the shelf of a gun shop here in Miami …. Would you like their contact info ???

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
    $60.00 Larry's getting greedy.

Boolit Master
    Absolutely!

Rich