RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Gun culture fellowship

Boolit Master

Gun culture fellowship

I miss my match shooting days. I ran quite a few practical pistol events back in the day, a couple state championship matches too. Went to one of the first IDPA nationals in Jefferson City Missouri and took 7th place on one course. We had Rob Leatham and Ryan Wilson on our squad. I traveled down with three friends, all seasoned match shooters.

But these days I have to make an effort to spend time with those guys. None of us shoot as much anymore and health issues and energy levels make it happen less. Trips to the lgs cheer me up. Been going there for almost 30 years so the vibe is layed back pleasant. And this forum helps a bunch too. We do have an abundance of gun culture fellowship here and we can be grateful for that.

Thanks guys!

Best online home we could ask for.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I don’t know any online community that is this tight knit. I’ve met true friends here and most of us try and look out for each other. Truly a special place. Thanks to everyone for making this the great place it is!

Boolit Master

Yeah, it sucks to get old. All my old shooting buddies have passed on to the big range in the sky or are disabled to the point of not being able to go to the range. Miss the old camaraderie of meeting them out there and spending some good times. Joshing each other about outdoing one another or near misses. Drooling over someone's newest acquisition, etc. I go to the range, still, but don't have my buds with me. Not quite the same experience. I agree with the posts here, just being on this forum is a very positive thing, and seeing others experiences, successes and failures, or near misses, is invaluable to me. Glad to be able to be a part of it.
    Last edited by gbrown; 07-15-2021 at 09:18 AM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Yeah, it sucks to get old. All my old shooting buddies have passed on to the big range in the sky or are disabled to the point of not being able to go to the range. Miss the old camaraderie of meeting them out there and spending some good times. Joshing each other about outdoing one another or near misses. Drooling over someone's newest acquisition, etc. I go to the range, still, but don't have my buds with me. Not quite the same experience. I agree with the posts here, just being on this forum is a very positive thing, and seeing others experiences, successes and failures, or near misses, is invaluable to me. Glad to be able to be a part of it.
    My grandmother was a Brown out of Beauregard parish, Bagget town it was first called, Now Longville.
    You're people from that area?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    My grandmother was a Brown out of Beauregard parish, Bagget town it was first called, Now Longville.
    You're people from that area?
    No, my folks came from Pa. and Va. by way of Alabama. Moved to Texas around 1840. Great grandfather worked for the Texas government, not the State, but the Nation. Died in late '40s after contracting some sort of fever--probably yellow or maybe cholera. Great grandma (Mammy) was advised to move her small daughter (Grandma Brown, nee Dignan) to a drier climate. She owned a boarding house in Blanco. Later, Grandma went to Sam Houston Teacher's College, Huntsville, TX, lived in Sam Houston's old "steamboat" house as a dorm. After she graduated, returned to Blanco and taught in the school there. 2 young men moved into the boarding house--John and Lee Brown. John became my grandfather. Both Dignans and Browns originated in Alabama.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    I don't match shoot or really shoot too much due to too many irons in the fire.
    But... I love being an RSO at our gun club. Too many RSOs get a God complex but I've been complimented many times for striking the right balance. The regulars show up, do their shooting as well as new shooters looking for advice on reloading or casting of boolits. the last shift that I had, I spent a while talking with a new shooter and the topic slanted to casting boolits. We walked to the pistol berm and I showed him how much scrap was dug up by others shooting. FWIW, I can easily carry out 25# every time that I'm an RSO.

Then there are the muzzle loader guys. They are why I got a Kentucky 50 cal flint lock. Yes dear. No more guns but this is a kit.

Great people here and it is one of the few places that I frequent daily.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Grand Master
    I miss competitive shooting and the folks I used to shoot with. Moved north in 2012.

Pissed away a lot of money at it but have many good memories.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Lost a good shootin buddy due to cancer. Knew he was sick,but didn't pry into it as I figured he'd tell me when he was ready. Showed up at the house at the Christmas before he passed. Left me with a Swiss army knife and then left. Only when I saw contractors fixing up his house and the for sale sign I feared the worse. Was getting the local paper but the delivery person threw them in the driveway instead of the box. So didn't find out about it until I did a search in the papers obituary pages. Called the paper and cancelled my paper, and told them what happened. Told them,wouldn't pay money only to have the papers get soaked in the rain and my best bud passed and didn't find out about it until I did the search. I did send a condolence card and apologized for not being able to pay my respects. And got a nice thank you letter from them. Everytime I pass his house I still remember the good times we had. Frank

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I miss my match shooting days. I ran quite a few practical pistol events back in the day, a couple state championship matches too. Went to one of the first IDPA nationals in Jefferson City Missouri and took 7th place on one course. We had Rob Leatham and Ryan Wilson on our squad. I traveled down with three friends, all seasoned match shooters.

But these days I have to make an effort to spend time with those guys. None of us shoot as much anymore and health issues and energy levels make it happen less. Trips to the lgs cheer me up. Been going there for almost 30 years so the vibe is layed back pleasant. And this forum helps a bunch too. We do have an abundance of gun culture fellowship here and we can be grateful for that.

Thanks guys!
    I try to never miss a gun show. I never buy much, but it's just a cultural thing. The closest thing I can get to a country club.

Banned

I dont miss it. I beat myself up to much and was never satisfied even when i won. It took the fun right out of it. I get much more enjoyment by myself or with some family member pounding steel at my own range. I still occasionally stop by a match and say hi to the guys i used to shoot with but i have absolutely no want or need to participate in any way again. I have nothing more to prove.