WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Persian Mauser 98/29 with cast bullet loads

Boolit Master

Persian Mauser 98/29 with cast bullet loads

This Persian Mauser was a gunshow purchase for an obscenely low price with matching number bayonet $105. True story! Bore is like-new. It had a very bad trigger pull so I bit the bullet (cast of course!) and intalled a Dayton trigger... since I intended to keep this rifle until my dying breath. The scope mount is my own manufacture and is very low and works very well. Scope is cheap NcStar 2-7x32 handgun scope. I keep it dialed at 7x since I shoot from the bench.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1428yy-vi.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	286085

Name:	DSCF1765k-vi.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	286091

Name:	DSCF1430yy-vi.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	286086

Lyman 323471 .324" using 15.8 grs Swede gallery powder (pull down). That one flyer was from the previous shots while zeroing. 50 yds. Five shots one hole. The Swede powder is akin to Unique. The level of accuracy shows what's possible with this rifle. It would be hard (difficult!) to match the results using the military iron sights. This is why most of us (old fellows) need optics to help and to make shooting these old rifles much more fun.

Name:	001-vi.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	286087

This next group was loaded using purchased RCBS 170gr .323" bullets intended for .32-40 WCF (Gardner's Cache). They shot very well in this 8x57 rifle using 12 grs 700X.

Both these loads used Turkish military Berdan primed cases. I generally prefer using fast powders like these for all rifle cast bullet loads. No filler used or needed. I also utilize 2400 and will start using 5744 due to having purchased recently an 8 pound keg. Accurate 5744 is very similar to Reloder7 and somewhat like SR4759. Whenever possible seat the bullets to touch the rifling. I use a shop-made version of the Stoney Point seating gage and it works extremely well.

Name:	002-vi.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	286088

I use the same thread as the Stoney Point/Hornady tool: 5/16-36 (purchased tap & die)

Name:	DSCF2777s-vi.jpg 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	286089

Name:	DSCF2789s-vi.jpg 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	286090

Wow! I listed after one of those years ago. Major score for you. Good shooting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.