RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Did you see that

Did you see that

I took kiddo to a shotgun shooting range and the people there were very nice and helpful. One guy was able to tell me that I needed to aim higher and to the right. How in the world did he know? I watched kiddo shoot and he told him where he was missing. Again, how in the world did he know? I watched kiddo shoot many more and I still couldn’t tell where his shots were going in relation to the clays.

Can anyone tell me how to tell where shots go in relation to the clays? Should I paint the shot?

Thanks in advance for your time.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    my guess is is the --dormant eye---
    you need to get a patch and put over one eye and see where shots go.
    i will bet if you are using right eye to shoot , your left eye is the one that {sees} the target

If you're standing in the right place, and you're quick, you can see the back end of that pattern as it flies.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Know which is your dominant eye. Hold your arm out straight, aim your thumb at a distant object. Then close one eye and then the other. The eye that stays on target is the dominate one.

Banned

He was watching the wad. Easy to see where you are missing.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    He was watching the wad. Easy to see where you are missing.
    This.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    watching wad doesnt work ive seen it almost hit the bird and miss
    when patterning shot guns quit often the wad hits 2 feet off from center of pattern

He was watching were your barrel was pointing.

When standing behind and looking over the shooters shoulder, I can tell where the shot went almost every time by estimating
    where the barrel was pointing in relation to the target.

For the technique to work, you must know what the correct lead looks like to begin with. On the skeet range
    I have a picture of every target imprinted in what's left of my memory, having watched many thousands being smoked
    by my squad pals. On the sporting range it's a little harder, especially if the shooter uses extremely fast or erratic swings.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll find you can stand quite far to the rear from the shooter, and still tell roughly where he's pointing
    at his targets. It's a great (and cheap) way to learn where to hold on a specifik target by watching the pros.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    To a person who has trained their eye for the purpose, one can see the"cloud" of shot as it flies through the air. I have used that little trick to get noobys on target in their first ever session on the trap range. Had a couple shooting better than me!

Boolit Master

He is able to see the shot string. I am a Master class sporting clays shooter and a certified instructor. Until you develop your target vision you won't be able to see the shot string. Depending on the background I can see around 70% of them.
    A few words of advice....Most folks think you aim a shotgun just as you do a rifle or handgun. You don't, you point a shotgun. If you try to aim at the clay target you will usually miss. Only look at the target and your chances of breaking it increase substantially. It takes several years to develop good target vision as you are using your eyes in ways different than you do in everyday life.
    Texas has many clay target facilities and several quality instructors as well. I'm not sure what part of Texas he is in but Dan Carlysle teaches in Texas and works with many youth shooters. Look him up and if he is within reasonable distance try to get your son set up for a session with Dan. It would be money and time well spent.
    Good Luck to you and your son,
    Rick