Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: 6" 686 Plus Deluxe inbound.

Boolit Master

6" 686 Plus Deluxe inbound.

Gunbroker auction. $805.00 which is quite a bit less than they have been going for. With taxes, shipping and transfer fee I will be at $900 even. It will be interesting to see just how accurate this deluxe piece is. Hoping for .358" cylinder throats and a smooth forcing cone. I will finaly have an L frame in the stable. After all these years of loading 5 or 6 rounds loading 7 will be a little different.

Boolit Grand Master
    Tazman suggested the 686 when I was shopping for a .357. We got two of them...His and Hers and love them. You should be happy.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I have a 686+ with a 6” bbl. and it shoots about 98% as accurate as any of the custom handguns I’ve owned in the same caliber. My two Bill Davis revolvers would edge it out by a very small amount. I consider the 686 and the 586 (same gun in blue) to be the most accurate .357 revolvers S&W ever made.

Boolit Master
    .38 caliber revolvers are a favorite of mine. I like my .44's too but the .38's are the most satisfying to shoot. Muzzle velocity with less recoil may be the reason. Also economy. Just got 500 Starline .357 brass and 2000 small pistol primers so I am all set for some revolver action. Will post pics.

I own a 686+ and have used it for years now. It shoots every bit as well as the older K frame revolvers I own. It handles cast just as well as jacketed with no issues at all.
    Fine weapon.

Boolit Master
    Years back, in the 90's, Smith offered the 629 in a DX model. These were hand selected for outstanding accuracy and came with a test target. They had DX marked on the barrels. Now they have models of both the 629 and 686 that they call deluxe models. But these guns are not hand selected for accuracy. Not a big deal really but somewhat misleading. I have four Smith's and they are all plenty accurate. I'm confident the one coming tomorrow will be as well.

Boolit Buddy

Congrats on the new 686. I had a very early 6" 586, paid $230 for it brand new. (early 80's IIRC.)
    It was very accurate, my son has it now. It was more accurate than my 6" Python with lead boolits.
    I missed it so I bought a new 5" 686 Plus several years ago and it's just as accurate as the 586. I'm very happy with what S&W is building lately. I'm sure you're going to be very happy with that new 686.

Boolit Bub
    The 686 + is a great handgun I have one in 6" shoots very well enjoy it
    Ron

I think you'll like it.

In years gone by, I had a 6" 586, that really liked Blue Dot.
    I really enjoyed it until I traded it off for a Gold Cup.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I own both a 3" and a 6" barrel 686+. I love both guns and they are more accurate than me. I hope you have as much pleasure with yours as I've had with mine.

Boolit Master
    Well, the revolver is a beauty. So solid and nicely built. Plenty accurate as well. With the 7 shot cylinder there is about 9 degrees less rotation with each shot. This makes double action shooting easier for some reason, perhaps because the cylinder locks up well before the hammer drops. Happy I chose a 6" barrel. It is well suited for my purposes. No buyer's remorse with this one.

Boolit Master
    14 shots double action @ 50'
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16268832946866056274901850740678.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	286432

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    14 shots double action @ 50'
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16268832946866056274901850740678.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	286432
    Good honest shooting right there.

What was the load you were using?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Master
    173 gr. Powder coated over 7 gr. HS-6.

Glad to see it working so well for you. Now you know why I recommend that revolver to people who ask.

Boolit Master
    Put a 13# trigger return spring in this morning. Really makes a difference. Went back together fine. Those Smith side plates take finesse. Ham fisted should steer clear. Had an unused Bianchi X15 shoulder holster and will give that a try. Certainly not a concealment rig except perhaps under a winter jacket. And a bit cumbersome for range use. Want to see how easy it is to draw from and reholster. The spring they sew into them is darn stiff.

Boolit Master

Boy, are you guys ever right about the 686. Just picked one up the other day at our LGS, he had it on consignment for $600, excellent shape, with box and paperwork. Must be a later one as it has the "Hillery Hole".

Shot it with some random cast loads I had for other .38 & .357's. It just ate everything up and put 'em all in nice groups. 358311 / 5.0 gr BE & 38-150 / 6.0 gr Green Dot were particularly good shooters. Oddly, my SAECO 052 WC load scattered shots all over the target.

It's just a pleasure to shoot. This one is rapidly becoming a favorite. Can anyone clue me in on the date of manufacture, SN is CTU1XXX? It's a -6.
    Last edited by Alstep; 07-23-2021 at 01:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've had a 6" 686 since they came out. Mine is a no dash model. It is the handgun I shoot most accurately, not really a 357 fan but my 686 really shoots, usually I run mild wadcutters. I will use 158 gr SWC's for more thump for playing out past 75 yards or if carrying for some reason. Mostly just a very pleasant range gun.

Boolit Master
    Range gun describes it well. And that covers the majority of the shooting I do. Not a bad companion for a walk in the woods either.