Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: CS Lewis

CS Lewis

I have become, over the last few months, completely enamored with CS Lewis' works on Christianity. They are truly incredible and eye opening. What a true genius. Im currently listening to "GOD in the dock". Its his works defending the belief in GOD. Fantastic

In high school I read his book "Mere Christianity". It changed my life completely. Have since read others. Agree that he was a genius.
    What could possibly go wrong?

Boolit Master

I really liked " The Screwtape Letters " . "Narnia" not so much.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Mere Christianity is next on my list. Ive had several people recommend it

Boolit Master

CS Lewis is one of my favorites.

Boolit Master

CS Lewis wrote science fiction too. I believe he was a friend of Tolkien.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Tolkein helped lead Lewis to Christ

God In the Dock is a great series of essays. Bulverism is my favorite. Anything Lewis wrote is worth reading.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by badguybuster View Post
    Tolkein helped lead Lewis to Christ
    Interesting! I did not know this.
    What could possibly go wrong?

Boolit Master
    The Screwtape Letters by Lewis is available in PDF if you like.
    It is a correspondence of advice between an old demon and a young one.
    This is how it starts:

Pr e f a c e
    i have no intention of explaining how the correspondence which i now offer to the public fell into my hands. there are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. one is to disbelieve in their existence. the other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them. they themselves are equally pleased by both errors and hail a materialist or a magician with the same delight. the sort of script which is used in this book can be very easily obtained by anyone who has once learned the knack; but ill-disposed or excitable people who might make a bad use of it shall not learn it from me. readers are advised to remember that the devil is a liar. not everything that screwtape says should be assumed to be true even from his own angle. i have made no attempt to identify any of the human beings mentioned in the letters; but i think it very unlikely that the portraits, say, of fr. spike or the patient’s mother, are wholly just. there is wishful thinking in hell as well as on earth.

As a spoiler, set during The Blitz, the book has a happy ending...good wins out, but at a price.
    I especially enjoyed the part where screwtape advises
    "...when your man reads his Bible, make his stomach growl, he will put down the book and get something to eat..."

Boolit Master
    “I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him [that is, Christ]: ‘I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept His claim to be God.’ That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic–on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg–or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse…. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”

–C.S. Lewis in Mere Christianity

When you hear The name Jesus Christ you have to decide is He Lord, Liar or Lunatic.

As for me He is my LORD.

Boolit Master
    Mr. Lewis was an incredible intellect.

He started as a convinced disbeliever who became an avid believer mostly due to his own reasoning and rational Bible study. IMHO, he was the best single defender of Christianity the world has yet seen --- and we've seen a lot of good ones!