Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Lee 365-95-1R Top Punch

Lee 365-95-1R Top Punch

Picked up a NOS mold for my 9x18 Makarov this past weekend. I've been trying to figure out what Lyman top punch number would work but can't get any useful hits on my forum and web searches. Anyone know what would be and appropriate top punch?

Thanks

Boolit Master
    I use a 266 top punch for my Makarov boolets. You can also any round nose top punch and to get an exact fit put a little hot glue in the top punch and while the glue is still soft stick a boolet in it! The whole process can be removed and repeated as the need requires! I really love my Makarov and Random P64! What type of mak ya got?
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Got a Bulgarian and German in a 9x18 plus a CZ 82 and a P-64. The Maks and p64 are in excellent condition and the CZ is one of the refurbished from classic arms maybe...don't remember. The p64 I fixed the horrific trigger pull with wolf springs and some minor trigger polishing.

All shoot great other than launching the brass into the stratosphere. I save my nickle 9mm Luger brass and make 9x18 with it. Got around a 1,000 cases i need to load some day.

Boolit Master

It works better if ya put a bit of Paste wax that has dried on the bullet before ya stick it in the top punch.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I would not use nickel brass and cut it down. When you cut nickel you expose the brass underneath and the nickel might split. I just the Makarov brass I make by putting cheap nail polish on the head stamp! You are definitely right about launching brass. I was at a public range and I was the only one there. This guy comes in and picks the lane right next to me. I told him he might wanna take a Lena a little further down because my breast typically launches. He said no that’s OK. But after about 20 or 30 hot Makarov brass bouncing off his bald head I packed up and left. I have literally made thousands of pieces of 9 x 18 brass out of 9 x 19 brass! You should do fine with that lean mold it’s the one I started out with. I asked for the P 64 I found I have the size my bullets to . 363 in order to get feed and function. I know goes against conventional wisdom but I get zero leading and it shoots one whole accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    I use a 266 top punch for my Makarov boolets. You can also any round nose top punch and to get an exact fit put a little hot glue in the top punch and while the glue is still soft stick a boolet in it! The whole process can be removed and repeated as the need requires! I really love my Makarov and Random P64! What type of mak ya got?
    Like poppy42 says to use hot glue for a quick fit ...it doesn't last forever ... For a longer lasting custom fit just use J-B Weld Epoxy Glue or Epoxy Putty ...they will last decades . Almost Forgot ... clean nose punch cavity so it epoxy sticks , grease or wax boolit so it doesn't stick !!!
    If loading boolits with a flat spot on them ...fill nose cavity with epoxy , let cure and sand flat ...
    Tah-Dah ... Flat Punch , it will seat anything and in a pinch I've used it on RN's boolits.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Thanks for the suggestions. Think I'll give the mold a try soon. Got to work on developing a 45-70 load first. In a ladder test a week and a half ago I was testing 405 gr FN with AA5744 in 1 grain increments. Got 4 shots in a row, so 4 grain spread in a .7 inch group at 100 yards from my Marlin 45-70CB. So got to load up some 5 shot groups to test and see if the accuracy was for real...or a fluke. Then I'll mess with the 9x18 mold to see how it does. While I bought it as new, it was NOS and is a v block and not a pin. The only other v block i have works fine. So, hopefully this one will too.
    Last edited by SoonerEd; 07-16-2021 at 12:00 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerEd View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Think I'll give the mold a try soon. Got to work on developing a 45-70 load first. In a ladder test a week and a half ago I was testing 405 gr FN with AA5744 in 1 grain increments. Got 4 shots in a row, so 4 grain spread in a .7 inch group at 100 yards from my Marlin 45-70CB. So got to load up some 5 shot groups to test and see if the accuracy was for real...or a fluke. Then I'll mess with the 9x18 mold to see how it does. While I bought it as new, it was NOS and is a v block and not a pin. The only other v block i have works fine. So, hopefully this one will too.
    Soonered,
    Feel free to contact me anytime. I don’t have all the answers, but I’ve been loaden & shooten guns chambered for 9x18 for quite awhile. I must have made over 5,000 9x18 brass from 9x19 brass. I got it down to a science. Besides why should anyone pay for high dollar factory Mak brass or when it’s so cheap and easy to make. I love me some Makarov’s! One of my favorite summertime EDC’s!

Thanks I'll probably hit you up sometime this summer.

Is the 266 a Lyman number? I can't seem to find one, only a 226.