Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If some Meplat is good.. is more better?

Boolit Bub

If some Meplat is good.. is more better?

I have been doing some reading on WFN type bullets (.452) for hunting applications and their ability to combine excellent penetration with larger-than-caliber wound channels. My hunting (deer/pigs) is mainly at very close range so the long range aerodynamics are not a huge concern.

Question #1.... what is the largest meplat (>80%) hardcast bullet for .452 that is commercially available in a 255-280 grain loading?

Question #2.... what about full wadcutters for hunting or even turning a bullet around so that the flat base is pointed forward? This would theoretically give you near 100% meplat.

I’m currently loading 265gr WFNGC Cast Performance over 15gr of 2400.

Sorry if these questions are dumb, I’m still learning. Thanks!

👍🏻

Boolit Master

I would have to find it the references, been a few years and was a random article. There is a trade off to aerodynamic. More meplate, more better killing but less range of usability. That nose is getting more wind friction. There is a happy medium and thats where the WFN comes in. Its the middle ground of best meplate and still retaining usable ballistics at respectable hunting distances.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Bub
    Yup that is what I was guessing. For a “woods protection” or short range hunting applications I wonder if the aerodynamics are important or not. At 50 yards and more I am betting the drag would become a real factor, but is it a factor at 20-25 yards?

Vendor Sponsor

The largest meplat would be one of three LBT designs, I get them from Montana Bullet Works, you can go to their site and look these up LBT 250gr WFN-PB, LBT 250gr WFN-GC, LBT 250gr OWC

I am using these three boolits, one plain base one gas checked and the OWC is nearly an oilcan only with slightly curving sides, it is the biggest meplat besides a straight sided wadcutter. I use them in 45 Schofield brass, loaded with H110 to just under 1200fps which maintains the 23,000psi pressure ceiling of the medium framed Vaquero or Flattop Blackhawk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger New Vaquero 45 Schofield.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	723.5 KB 
ID:	286023
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Bub
    DougGuy,

Thanks for the info. Do I need to be concerned about the lack of gas check at the speeds and pressures I am loading? Also, for hunting would the softer BH of the OWC of 15 be a positive or negative for pigs and deer compared to the harder gas checked bullets they offer?

Boolit Master
    Decades ago when I was loading for the .45Colt I read an article about short range dangerous game loads. One was a guide in Africa who used a Ruger .45Colt. He loaded a straight cylinder of lead, 350gn if I remember correctly. He claimed it worked well against lions at close range (less than 25yd). He was not concerned with lube or gas checks as he rarely shot more than one at a time.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAg11 View Post
    DougGuy,

Thanks for the info. Do I need to be concerned about the lack of gas check at the speeds and pressures I am loading? Also, for hunting would the softer BH of the OWC of 15 be a positive or negative for pigs and deer compared to the harder gas checked bullets they offer?
    The middle boolit in the photo is a GC design. I wouldn't worry about the hardness of the OWC just use it as is and if you DO happen to recover a boolit, then you can determine if it was a good one to use but I suspect you will have many more two holed animals than you will have boolits to show for it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    here is an interesting article on cast hunting bullets.

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellPerfectBullet.htm

Boolit Bub
    Really appreciate the feedback folks!

Boolit Master
    There was, several years back, a big discussion on meplat diameters and their effectiveness on Graybeard outdoors between Tim Sundles and Randy Garrett. Sundles stance was after a "medium" diameter meplat size that almost nothing is actually gained in killing power by going to the larger meplats. Garrett maintained that meplats quite abit larger than what Sundles said was good and gave a decent improvement in killing power but even he said that too much meplat diameter was a detriment.
    As in most things like this, and the stopping power of handguns discussions, nothing was ever settled. You and I and most others will believe what we want to believe regardless of who believes what or writes regardless of eloquent writing or verbalizations.
    I printed out the whole thing and there were many pages of it. It is here somewhere but don't have a clue where it is.
    Does anyone else remember it? I do simply because nothing was ever settled on too small, too large, or to in the middle meplats whether they were good or bad or inbetween on killing power.
    A lengthy discussion though as most of these discussions are.

Boolit Buddy
    My relatively limited experience indicates that Elmer Keith was right on at 70% of caliber diameter. As mentioned by previous posters it’s a trade off, and Mr. Keith felt that 70% was the best compromise between ballistics and thumping power.

Vendor Sponsor

And, at the end of the day, we hopefully have a two holed and bled out animal, and no boolit to be recovered regardless of meplat unless it dug into a tree on the other side of the animal and you brought a chain saw with you.

Boolit Bub
    Yup! I guess half the fun is the journey of finding out for myself. I should have a lot of opportunities over the next few years to really dive into revolver hunting. Working on building up a respectable arsenal and figuring out the right loads for the job.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB8BED72-6EFE-4841-BEF1-0B549F60B2C5.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	286082

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    At normal .45 Colt velocities and pressures the meplat at 70% of bullet diameter is ideal and will remain accurate from a revolver to 100 yards or more. The #454424 is hard to beat in a common off-the-shelf design, but the Accurate 45-264H ogival wide flatnose is my go-to bullet in the Colt New Service and wonderful with 7 grains of Bullseye.

Attachment 286127
    Last edited by Outpost75; 07-15-2021 at 12:36 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    My relatively limited experience indicates that Elmer Keith was right on at 70% of caliber diameter. As mentioned by previous posters it’s a trade off, and Mr. Keith felt that 70% was the best compromise between ballistics and thumping power.
    Where did Elmer say that? His Keith bullets varried in meplat percentage depending upon which caliber they were in. These were the Ideal/Lyman designs that he endorsed.
    Rule 303

Boolit Buddy

At 50 yards and more I am betting the drag would become a real factor, but is it a factor at 20-25 yards?
    Nope. The valid long range performance qualities of the SWC/WFN that folks refer to above are irrelevant at 20-25 yards. A full wadcutter will work just fine, assuming proper composition, hardness, placement, etc. But that doesn't necessarily make it any better than a SWC or WFN for the job.

Boolit Buddy
    He played with it a bit but he discussed it in the 1963 revision of sixguns. I’ll dig my copy out tomorrow and look for it, I don’t want to misquote.

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
    Where did Elmer say that? His Keith bullets varried in meplat percentage depending upon which caliber they were in. These were the Ideal/Lyman designs that he endorsed.

Boolit Bub
    Any feedback from hunters who have first hand experience with these WIDE bullets on thin skinned game? Especially compared to a standard XTP/GDHP type projectiles?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Any feedback from hunters who have first hand experience with these WIDE bullets on thin skinned game? Especially compared to a standard XTP/GDHP type projectiles?
    MUCH prefer them on feral hogs, wild beef, black bear to the HPs of any construction. Complete through and through penetration from any angle.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used Verals 45 300gr LFN in my 454 Casull for over 30 years, and it has accounted for over 150 hogs, feral sheep and goats. I have never been able to recover a bullet as they ALL went coast to coast, AND have never needed more than one shot. I have a Lipsey 44 Special which I shoot a 44 WFN out of and it has only been used on 41 hogs, again, no bullet recovery or second shot needed.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast