Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: Cabbage in the crock last night.

Boolit Master

Cabbage in the crock last night.

Went to the farmers market last saturday looking for cabbage. One guy had some for $2.00/lb. Another had some for $2.50 a head and they were good sized cabbages. We bought 8 for $20.00 and he threw in 2 more. All in all it was 50 cents a pound.

So last night, we sliced up 15 pounds of cabbage, mixed it with Himalayan salt, added some carrot and cucumber slices and stuffed a 15L crock. It only took 3 1/2 heads to do that and we have 6 1/2 left so we did the next obvious thing. Bought another crock. This time a 20L.

We still have a 10L one to do this evening. For that we'll mix in Korean red pepper like they use with KimChi.

In 2 to 3 months, it will be time to can once again.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master

Oh yeah, making kraut or Kim Chi? I'm in for both. Made 35 lb of kraut last February. mmmm good. My wife and I could just eat it straight from the jar. As can my oldest grandson. Nothing like a good German supper of sauerkraut, good smoked sausage and potatoes, boiled, oven fried or pan fried. Need to have that soon.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Cabbage.........yuck. I had a friend that tried one of those purge diets with 2 weeks of ONLY cabbage soup. I was over one evening and almost lost my lunch. He now cannot even look a head of cabbage in the eye!!!!!

I like some Sauerkraut....if someone else makes it. The prep smell is something I do not like. Even then I generally load up on the sausages and nothing else.

Glad you enjoy it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Cabbage.........yuck. I had a friend that tried one of those purge diets with 2 weeks of ONLY cabbage soup. I was over one evening and almost lost my lunch. He now cannot even look a head of cabbage in the eye!!!!!

I like some Sauerkraut....if someone else makes it. The prep smell is something I do not like. Even then I generally load up on the sausages and nothing else.

Glad you enjoy it.
    Had an associate at work try that years ago. Hard to think of a more selfish act than to eat a pile of cabbage and then confine yourself in a trailer with 20 other people for 8 hours every day.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    Went to the farmers market last saturday looking for cabbage. One guy had some for $2.00/lb. Another had some for $2.50 a head and they were good sized cabbages. We bought 8 for $20.00 and he threw in 2 more. All in all it was 50 cents a pound.

So last night, we sliced up 15 pounds of cabbage, mixed it with Himalayan salt, added some carrot and cucumber slices and stuffed a 15L crock. It only took 3 1/2 heads to do that and we have 6 1/2 left so we did the next obvious thing. Bought another crock. This time a 20L.

We still have a 10L one to do this evening. For that we'll mix in Korean red pepper like they use with KimChi.

In 2 to 3 months, it will be time to can once again.
    Sounds yummy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Cabbage in the crock last night.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Had an associate at work try that years ago. Hard to think of a more selfish act than to eat a pile of cabbage and then confine yourself in a trailer with 20 other people for 8 hours every day.
    I can. I have not smelled anything since 1984. Fractured skull in a karate tournament in Okinawa. I can blast all day in confined spaces & never suffer! Fried eggs, refried beans and jalapeños can sure give cabbage a run for the money. I got called out in a Mexican movie theater I stunk so bad! My family claimed I wasn’t with them!
    Some things don’t change ……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I cant wait. Cabbage is no where near ready here but they grow quite a bit just a little north of here. Actually there were a large number of sauerkraut packagers in this area. We usually get some from a stand near the daughter in-laws. They are bigger than a basketball by quite a bit.

Moderator Emeritus

Son as farmers market starts here in a couple weeks I will grab 2 big heads to make kraut. I don't can mine. It goes in the fridge to be eaten fresh, lot healthier because the good bacteria are still alive. I pack it in quart jars and don't tighten the lids hard, just barely snug so they are sealed but can burp gasses off during storage. Love that fart smell when I open the fridge door LOL