WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting With Glasses:

Banned

Question Shooting With Glasses:

Shooting With Glasses:

As I get older my glasses get stronger ☹

How do you deal with shooting with glasses If you're not just near or far-sighted and have astigmatism?

Do you have a special prescription (different than you normally wear) for:

Hand Gun shooting?

Rifle shooting?

Or do you shoot rifles with no prescription and rely on the scope adjustments. [even if you have astigmatism?]

I put on fiber-optic sights or painted all the sights on my handguns and put scopes on most of my rifles (I know some of you will call that sacrilege )
    so I can see better and still enjoy our hobby.

Boolit Master

I held out as long as I could with my rifles, but I have had to go to using a scope. I am still blurring my way through with my handguns.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    They make black dots with a pinhole in the middle. Putting them on a pair of safety glasses really helps with using rifle iron sights. It cuts down the aperture going into your eyes.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master
    I use my glasses for red dots and reflex sights, no glasses for scopes and handguns. If I could get a reading glass +2 in the upper corner by the bridge of my nose on my dominant eye lense it would help with iron sights.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

For pistol, I have a set of bi-focals. The top lens focuses on the front sight and the bottom lens allows me to see the sight adjustment screws.

For rifle, I have a pair of Junkers shooting glasses with a distance prescription as I am using either a scope or peep sights.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Master
    I wear trifocals. I have no trouble seeing the sights on either a handgun or a rifle. Yes, that front sight on a rifle is sometimes a little fuzzy, but it is still accurate.

Banned

So far I'm still doing good with my specs, but I don't have an astigmatism either so it's not quite as tough yet.

Boolit Master
    Find an ophthalmologist that shoots! He’ll have the answers for you.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

The answer depends on several things but in short you need to have your point of focus at the front sight. That means you need astigmatism correction if needed in your shooting eye.
    With age your eyes will not focus at close distances so a diopter is needed (reading glasses). The power may be different between rifle and pistol due to the distance between your eye and the front sight.
    A diopter of +1.00 will change your point of focus to one meter in front of your eye. +2.00 will change to 1/2 meter (18 in.)and +4.00 to 1/4 meter (9 inches).
    This all depends if your dominate eye ( if you have a dominate eye) is the eye you shoot with. If you have a dominate eye you may need to block it to shoot with your non-dominate eye. I am left eye dominate and shoot right handed. I block my left eye and correct my right eye for front sight focus.
    To shoot with scopes or 1x red dots your regular prescription for distance should work.

Boolit Master

The answer depends on several things but in short you need to have your point of focus at the front sight. That means you need astigmatism correction if needed in your shooting eye.
    With age your eyes will not focus at close distances so a diopter is needed (reading glasses). The power may be different between rifle and pistol due to the distance between your eye and the front sight.
    A diopter of +1.00 will change your point of focus to one meter in front of your eye. +2.00 will change to 1/2 meter (18 in.)and +4.00 to 1/4 meter (9 inches).
    This all depends if your dominate eye ( if you have a dominate eye) is the eye you shoot with. If you have a dominate eye you may need to block it to shoot with your non-dominate eye. I am left eye dominate and shoot right handed. I block my left eye and correct my right eye for front sight focus.
    To shoot with scopes or 1x red dots your regular prescription for distance should work.

Boolit Master

I was never good with rifle sights. Good enough for 50 yards but not much farther. I can't see the blurry target and the front post covers the target.

I use my glasses with pistol and iron sights. I do shoot an expert for my pistol quals so there is that. Most my rifles though wear a scope and i correct my vision with it. Same for binoculars. My stigmata (what ever its called) is slight and and i am a plus 1.25. Just enough to make things blurry at far and close. Sucks, i can see good enough drive and live my life safely but bot good enough to read a book or a road sign without squinting. Basically the difference between 1990 TV and HD TV. Told my wife not to get a better TV, its pointless without glasses.

Seriously thinking of a red dot for my 3030. Just because i get jelous of those guys hiting decent groups at 100 yards with irons.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I have a 'special' pair of glasses made up that focus out to 6' so I can clearly see the iron sights but the target is blurred! It was funny at the time, me with a Ruger Superblackhawk in a bag going in to see the ophthalmologist and holding up the gun to see the foresight and to try different lenses. Seems to work for me.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

Progressive lenses. Take a mock up with you. A popsicle stick taped to a ruler works. When they ask for where your reading distance is, hold up your mock up in your preferred stance.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Conditor22

I found an eye Dr that works with shooters. He sold me a set of Decot shooting glasses. I can change lenses on my shooting eye for rifle or pistol (different increase in diopter strength). wv109323 explained that increasing your prescription +1 Diopter changes your point of focus. They sell clip on magnifiers in various diopter levels. A cheap way to experiment is to pick up or borrow some reading glasses and put them over your regular glasses. A + .5 to 1.5 diopter would be a good starting point to experiment.

Boolit Master
    Rifle: Globe sight on the front, peep sight on the back, lenses that let me see the target clearly. Very easy to center a crisp clear target in the middle of two fuzzy looking holes.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Optics. And keep the Rx current. I bring the optics with me to the ophthalmologist and use the "try glasses" to see if the new Rx is correct. Red dots are the most touchy since there's nothing can be done with them to correct for vision. The Rx must be correct for them to work.

Yeah, aging isn't for wimps!

Boolit Master
    I shoot both eyes open but am right eye dominant. My big astigmatism is in my left eye. Any rifle without a scope has peep sight. Pistols I still do pretty good with. I hate my current bifocals. Maybe I can get some trifocals later this year.

Boolit Master

For rifle I use an aperture front sight and a #575 Gehmann rear. The Gehmann has a variable aperture, polarizing filter, and a variable diopter.
    For pistol I just have a 1 diopter clip on lens on my glasses.
    I normally wear bifocal glasses.
    Hunting & varmit rifles have scopes. I really like the old Weaver post reticule. Simple and uncluttered, and really stands out.

Boolit Master
    Had an old optometrist that had been a position shooter back in the day. He had me bring my guns in that I shot in matches to get the right fit for my lenses. I had a set of regular glasses and Knobloch shooting glasses and Dycot for shotgun and backup use. He fit the lens with my astigmatism in each. Adjustable iris helped to fine tune the sight picture. Consistent head position was a must to deal with the astigmatism. My lenses didn't keep pace with the deterioration of my sighting eye for long range open sight shooting. Doc changed out 3 lenses in one year. I gave up those disciplines and focused on the scoped classes. My right eye got bad enough my brain switched to left eye dominant so I used (and still do) Eyeblind on my scopes. Plenty of scopes out there and I can still shoot decent at 50 yards with my bomars. Not so much at 100-1000 yards with the iron sights. Good Luck.

Banned
    Working outside my entire life I had developed cataracts didn't know how bad my sight was until my Doc said it is PAST time to get this done. I now wear some shooting glasses with a aperture sight stuck on the lens it works fine for me and I used to wear glasses but not any more

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast