Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee sizing dies go from .358 to .401?

Lee sizing dies go from .358 to .401?

Well I was wanting to get a Lee sizing kit for my press so I could start sizing some 357 cast boolits but I'm told it is best to load a little over size bullets. From what I've read it is common practice to load .360? Anyways basic question is why doesn't Lee offer a .359, .360, etc? Maybe I'm missing something

No it is not common practice. I have 8 diff 357mags, they all get 0.358" cast bullets. All will shoot better off the bench than I Can offhand. With any revo, cyl threat size will determine a lot of your accuracy issues. So measure those, pin gages or ID microm. IF they are smaller than bore dia or your bullet, you will have accuracy issues with lead bullets. The "rule" is 0.001" minimum over bore dia. That is the starting point & often works just fine, but does little good if the throats are 0.001" smaller than your bullet.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    IF they are smaller than bore dia or your bullet, you will have accuracy issues with lead bullets. The "rule" is 0.001" minimum over bore dia. That is the starting point & often works just fine, but does little good if the throats are 0.001" smaller than your bullet.
    OH! This is a ding ding ding moment in my head. It all makes sense now. I had it backwards! Thank you very much for pointing this out to me, you literally just set off a light bulb!

Boolit Master
    It's also not very hard to open up a Lee sizing die with very fine sandpaper, a dowel, and a drill motor, if you really need to. For .45 they only make .452 and .454, so I picked up 2 .452's and opened one up to .453. Similarly, they make a .401 but no .402, so I opened up a .401.

But in the end, you need to know your barrel and throat size. Sizing to .359 or bigger doesn't help, and in fact makes it worse, if your cylinder throat is .356. Slug your barrel first, cast and size to .001-.002 over that, and then check for problems. If it's still leading like crazy, hammer some pure lead through your cylinder throat, and see if it's coming out smaller.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If you are going to do several sizes of bullets for different guns it might pay to invest in the NOE sizing setup. It is a bushing style (like the Lee APP dies) so different bushing are inexpensive and changing sizes is just loosen a setscrew. NOE has sizes for just about any dia you want.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    If you are going to do several sizes of bullets for different guns it might pay to invest in the NOE sizing setup. It is a bushing style (like the Lee APP dies) so different bushing are inexpensive and changing sizes is just loosen a setscrew. NOE has sizes for just about any dia you want.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk
    What do the NOE sizers work in?

Boolit Buddy

The NOE sizers screw into your press. One video is worth 1000 words...

Full Lead Taco has a video detailing their use...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRoudK8THGM

Quote Originally Posted by TimD View Post
    The NOE sizers screw into your press. One video is worth 1000 words...

Full Lead Taco has a video detailing their use...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRoudK8THGM
    Lord I wish I had known about the NOE before I purchased the LEE .358 sizing setup. Oh well 2 is 1 right?

Boolit Grand Master

Lee offers "popular nominal" sizes for their sizing dies, and 38/357s "normally" use .357". I have customized, honed/polished the ID of about 6 Lee sizing dies for specific cylinder throats and barrels. No big deal and easy...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

After seeing Full Lead Taco's video on the N.O.E. bullet sizing, I'm saving my pennies to buy their setup.

Thanks TimD
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I've been thinking about buying it and selling off all my lee dies. I've got a little lee C press I could dedicate to it, so I'd only have to swap bushings and push rods, and it could just stay set up for sizing. Especially since it can easily do base-first sizing for checks.

Boolit Master
    i only size boolits that need a gas check so it seats them ,i dont bother to size plain base boolits

Boolit Master
    NOE also sells a neat little setup to seat gas checks square on a bullet. Look at the tooling section of their website. Full of little goodies.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    I've been thinking about buying it and selling off all my lee dies. I've got a little lee C press I could dedicate to it, so I'd only have to swap bushings and push rods, and it could just stay set up for sizing. Especially since it can easily do base-first sizing for checks.

I have a Lee Challenger press that is dedicated to bullet sizing operations. Has the NOE holder in it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    i only size boolits that need a gas check so it seats them ,i dont bother to size plain base boolits
    Well, some say this and some say that about sizing but it's certain they all precisely fit the bore by the time they enter the barrel their full length.

Boolit Grand Master
    I size .001" over cylinder throat dia. as long as that is over groove dia.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    Well, some say this and some say that about sizing boolits but it's certain they all precisely fit the bore by the time they enter the barrel their full length.

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Well I was wanting to get a Lee sizing kit for my press so I could start sizing some 357 cast boolits but I'm told it is best to load a little over size bullets. From what I've read it is common practice to load .360? Anyways basic question is why doesn't Lee offer a .359, .360, etc? Maybe I'm missing something
    Measure the cylinder throats on your revolver. No need to size any larger than that since any boolit will get sized down to their dimensions when fired.
    Perfect sizing would be a sliding fit to the cylinder throats.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Measure the cylinder throats on your revolver. No need to size any larger than that since any boolit will get sized down to their dimensions when fired.
    prezactly, ^^^^^^
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    So what if your cylinder throats are 3.585 and you only have 3.580 sizing dies from Lee? Open one up slightly or what?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast