MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ah yes, Fig Jam

Boolit Master

Oh, yeah, our hurricane season will be ramping up in mid August thru September, Yea! We are prepared, though. Come on!
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Buddy
    I had green cerignola olives today stuffed with preserved figs. It was to die for.

Boolit Master

That sounds interesting. We're the olives salty? Salty and sweet is usually a good mix.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

I developed this fig jam recipe from a basic recipe and my imagination. If you like mincemeat pies, this recipe has a similar taste.

In large nonstick skillet, simmer 3 quarts chopped figs a half cup water And 1 1/2 cups sugar. Pears would be a acceptable substitute if you don't have figs. Be sure and add I/2 tsp allspice and 1/2 tsp Saigon cinnamon (or regular cinnamon, but it isn't as good). I also like to add a half cup raisins too. The nonstick skillet prevents you from having to stand there and stir the whole time. Do not use a lid, you are trying to drive off moisture.

Cook until it starts to get thick and turns a nice brown color. It will start to stick very slightly to the bottom of the pan. This should take about 45 min to an hour. If the consistency meets your liking you are done, otherwise add a bit more water and cook a bit longer. Stir every 10 minutes or so until you are getting close, then every few minutes until done.

At the very end stir in a half cup of nuts as well as 1/4 cup lemon juice concentrate and turn off the heat. I prefer English walnuts, but we have used pecans and black walnuts with success.

You are now ready to jar and process. I just water bath them. This can be used on toast or English muffins. It can also be used as a tart or pie filling. I really like it.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

I don't have figs, but the blackberry patch across the street is showing black gems by the handful.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12