RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ah yes, Fig Jam

Boolit Master

Ah yes, Fig Jam

I love me some figs. Had a good crop this year, but between the squirrels and birds, lucky to get enough to make some fig jam, which I love. Sorrowfully, so do some of the people of my family. I don't know which is worse, the varmits or the family. LOL Anyway, yesterday morning, made 5-1/2 pints. Let me tell you--it is delicious. Got enough to make 2 more batches. I actually chopped the figs too fine, for me. Can't see the pieces in the jars, but the taste and flavor is there. I'll end up with about 15-16 pints. Good Eats!! Can't get the site to load pictures right now. Try to re-size and do it later. SUCCESS!! Attachment 286176
    Last edited by gbrown; 07-16-2021 at 05:16 PM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    I grew up on home made fig preserves my grandmother made , and skillet fried bread .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    I love me some figs. Had a good crop this year, but between the squirrels and birds, lucky to get enough to make some fig jam, which I love. Sorrowfully, so do some of the people of my family. I don't know which is worse, the varmits or the family. LOL Anyway, yesterday morning, made 5-1/2 pints. Let me tell you--it is delicious. Got enough to make 2 more batches. I actually chopped the figs too fine, for me. Can't see the pieces in the jars, but the taste and flavor is there. I'll end up with about 15-16 pints. Good Eats!! Can't get the site to load pictures right now. Try to re-size and do it later.
    I grew up in SoCal, with a fig tree in my dad's yard. Only got to be there in the summertime, most years, but figs ripe from the tree were and are one of my fondest memories of then. Had a Concord grapevine, and a Pepper tree, too. It was already starting to get stupid there when I was a teenager, so I enlisted and left the state in 1973. While I was stationed in Turkey in the mid-80's, I was again able to get fresh figs. They don't seem to grow here, though. So I have to live with store-bought. Oh, well. I'll probably survive.

Boolit Master

Back in the day, 50s and 60s
    , everyone had a fig tree and a pear tree in their yard. I remember driving thru it seeing all of them. Now, very few, if any. Kinda sad to me. Everyone put up figs and pears. People don't do that today.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

I would appreciate a recipe if someone has one. Lots of figs on the trees, we'll see how many the squirrels leave.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Grandma kept it simple when making 'preserves ' ripe fruit & sugar slowly cooked down so not scorched .
    The only time she used an ingredient in the process was to make jelly from the grape vine .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I would appreciate a recipe if someone has one. Lots of figs on the trees, we'll see how many the squirrels leave.
    I'm thinking squirrel stewed in fig jam could be monumentally good...

Bill

Boolit Master

I just use the one off the Sure-jel site or you can get off the insert inside the box of Sure-jel.

https://www.myfoodandfamily.com/reci...rejell-fig-jam

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    I grew up in SoCal, with a fig tree in my dad's yard. Only got to be there in the summertime, most years, but figs ripe from the tree were and are one of my fondest memories of then. Had a Concord grapevine, and a Pepper tree, too. It was already starting to get stupid there when I was a teenager, so I enlisted and left the state in 1973. While I was stationed in Turkey in the mid-80's, I was again able to get fresh figs. They don't seem to grow here, though. So I have to live with store-bought. Oh, well. I'll probably survive.
    My buddy was craving fig jam in January one year. Kinda out of season. I went down and found some dried figs at a local grocery store. Re-hydrated them in warm water and made him 3 pints. Couldn't tell the difference in taste, at least to he and I.

Boolit Buddy
    Fig jam with proscuitto on a pizza is epic.

Boolit Grand Master

The most " fool proof" fig jam recipe is the one made with Sure-Jell , I loved figs , grew three trees just for JAM and Preserves ... you can make it with just sugar and fruit but the Sure-Jell method insures the cooked batch will set properly , not be too soft or too hard ... also speeds up cooking time . TIP: when using Sure-Jell to make fig jam you can make a "double batch" I do it all the time and it has always come out perfectly ...just double everything .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    My buddy was craving fig jam in January one year. Kinda out of season. I went down and found some dried figs at a local grocery store. Re-hydrated them in warm water and made him 3 pints. Couldn't tell the difference in taste, at least to he and I.
    That's an awesome tip ... thanks for posting it ... Dried Figs ... LIKE LIKE LIKE !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

My grandmother used to make strawberry fig preserves. Ate many a jar. Basically half strawberries, half figs, pureed but not too smooth. A little sugar and pectin. I've made them several times over the years, but haven't got a fig tree of my own.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dunross View Post
    My grandmother used to make strawberry fig preserves. Ate many a jar. Basically half strawberries, half figs, pureed but not too smooth. A little sugar and pectin. I've made them several times over the years, but haven't got a fig tree of my own.
    You can also make faux strawberry jam with figs and strawberry jello. Mom made plenty a batch and I have also. Tastes and looks pretty dang close.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22...fig-preserves/

Boolit Master
    I love fig jam, unfortunately they won't grow very well here. About the only pears that will survive fire blight in these partss are Keifer and some asian types. Plums, peaches, and black berries are doing well. I made 13 pints of seedless black berry jam this week, and 1 1/2 gallons of juice. My berries have put out so well this year I've given away gallons! Peaches are next, and a few grapes. It is ashamed that for the most part people don't grow fruit any more!

Boolit Master

Figs aren't ripe yet here in coastal South Carolina, but I'm watching.
    Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Moderator Emeritus

My berries took a huge hit form the drought conditions. Raspberries started forming then aborted... to bad because my patch doubled in size the last year(it is on year three from being planted as a stick with a root!). Strawberries are struggling too. Not getting the weekly rain, maybe a little every 2 weeks isn't cutting it. Garden is in the same boat, everything is stunted and struggling...

Boolit Master

I wish I could send some our excess rain to you. We've had more than our fair share in the last month. 10+ inches or more. We are soaked, all I can say.

Moderator Emeritus

~1.5 inches for all of July, June was similar... normal is 5-6 inches per month.

Boolit Master

Sorry to hear. We get 10 inches in June, usually. We got more at my house last month. Doing even more this month. May get a respite next week, but not betting on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast