Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: 6.5" Contender barrel 32 H&R magnum - question

Boolit Mold

6.5" Contender barrel 32 H&R magnum - question

The other day I got a 6.5 inch bull barrel in 32 magnum that fits on my G1 frame. I have plenty of Contender barrels but never heard of a Contender barrel this short. The only thing I can find on the net is that T/C Contender pistol barrels in 32 mag. were made with a .308 bore instead of the .312 used in revolvers (like my Ruger Single-Six). I don't know why that would be.

My questions:
    1. Any information about this specific barrel? It has TCA in a circle on the barrel.

2. If it is a 308 bore, would it be safe to shoot .313 cast bullets? I use Missouri Bullets 100 grain cast bullets, .313, brinnell 12, in my Ruger with good results for both 32 long and magnum loads.

3. If it isn't safe to use .313 bullets in a 308 bore, can I use a light 309 cast bullet? And would I need new dies to make the bullet fit snugly in the case?

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Boolit Master

The TCA (Thompson Center Association) made special barrels for members. The 6.5’s were very popular; I have one in 32/20 and yes it’s a .308 bore.

I don’t know about using the larger bullet; I have always used .308 bullets in the 32/20 even have Redding dies in 30/20.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the confirmation about the 308 bore.

If it matters, I can insert and extract a regular 32 long cartridge in the Contender with no problem.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BullRunBear View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation about the 308 bore.

If it matters, I can insert and extract a regular 32 long cartridge in the Contender with no problem.
    Makes sense in a way. Buddy of mine has a slew of contenders. Anyhow I told him I would be interested in one in 32S&W Long. He suggested cutting down a 30 cal carbine barrel. I was thinking "wait a minute here, that would probably be in a .308 groove diameter". One of them self full filling prophecies huh? That sure seems like a pretty good jump from .308 to .312.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

32 H&R was a popular NRA Hunters Silhouette round back in the day. For the 32/20; I use a RCBS 115 cast bullet, but for big matches used a Sierra 110 match king.

If you want more information contact Ed.

http://www.edstc.com/contact.html

Not only 30 caliber but had a 1:10 twist and will shoot really big bullets. I used one with cast 220s for big bore silhouette. We called it the 30 super slow, the bullet was longer than the case but it shot great and never left a ram standing.

Boolit Buddy

Cool

T/C chose the .308” bore to allow use of the plethora of rifle bullets suitable for various silhouette competitions. Factory ammo and reloads using .312” bullets are perfectly safe to use due to the low pressures and soft bullets involved. Depending on the die set the OP has, he may have two expander plugs - one for .308” bullets and the other for .312” bullets.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to all for the information. T/C customer service wasn't able to help. But knowing I can use regular cast bullets, such as I use for the Ruger Single-Six, is a relief. I'll only be using this to punch paper or ring steel (not knock it over). Now comes the fun of working up a load the Contender likes.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had a standard 10" TC barrel with 10" twist .308 groove diameter in 32 H&R for years and have been using it to pressure test 32 S&W, 32 S&WL, 32 ACP and 32 H&R Magnum loads. I've found 32 S&WLs loaded with actual .314 diameter cast bullets chamber and shoot just fine w/o any signs of much increase in psi if any. Remember the bullet is sized down in just one bearing length of travel in the .308 barrel. The .312 diameter cast bullets I load for use in my Ruger SS 32 H&R shoot very, very well in the Contender barrel as they do in the Ruger SS. The .314 swaged WCs (Speer and Hornady) and the TL314-90-SWCs I load in 32 S&WL for the S&W M30 also shoot very, very well in the M30 and the Contender.

Attachment 286028
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I had a friend that shot the sierra 240 gr match king in a 32h&r mag. It sure put a wollop on the ram at 200. There are a bunch of high BC 30 cal bullets out there if you decide to shoot your TC with a rifle scope with a taco hold.

The chambers on those barrels were a bit large so the gun could handle 32h&r ammo if somebody decided to shoot some. I used to shoot the H&G 115gr 30 carbine unsized in my 30-20 in hunter pistol. Around 8-9bhn and a light load of international clays shot great. I got my grand slam shooting that combo.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    +1 on what Larry Gibson said. I have .30 M1 Carbine, .32-20. .32 ACP and .32 S&W Long walking guns which were all built using common .308 groove diameter, 4-groove government form one turn in 10-inch barrels which shoot wonderfully with either common factory loads or handloads with cast bullets up to .314" diameter. The fast twist will stabilize #311299 subsonic.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.