Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ford and Cummins Diesel

Boolit Master
    To my knowledge there aren't any CUMMINGS engines. Clessie Cummins started building diesel engines around 1919 and the company that uses his name sells about 20 billion dollars worth of products each year.

Boolit Master
    A chip is a computer that reconfigures fuel timing, fuel amount, transmission shift points, amount and timing of turbo boost and probably some other stuff. Dodge Cummins started with 24 valve computer controlled engines at mid year 1998. I bought my 98 1/2 Dodge Cummins used and it came with an Edge tuner ( chip). With chip turned off it is stock at 210hp and some 400+ lbs ft of torque. Chip turned on it has about 350hp and 600lbs ft of torque. There are other things that can be done for more power such as high output pump, bigger injectors, bigger exhaust, better air filter, propane injector and such stuff.
    My sons 5.9 is probably 450hp and one of his friends has one with 700+hp. There's no end to what you can do if you have the money.

The auto trasmissions with the 5.9 will not last unless they are built by someone that knows what they are doing. The newer trucks, Dodge, Ford and Chevy are all putting out a lot of hp and torque but the price has went way beyond what I can afford so I'll drive my old Dodge for another 20 years and call it money well spent.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    What does the term “being chipped” refer to. Seems like it increases power.
    Power is limited mostly for mileage/ air quality and fuel injection is computer controlled. Hardware (chip) and software can be added to increase power. Which puts more strain on the truck which doesn't last as long..... Basically you are overfueling.

I was going uphill about 3000 feet and put my foot in it to pass a log truck in a short passing lane. The acceleration was more than I expected and when I looked back the log truck was gone, all you could see was black smoke, overfueled. My truck is stock and the computer made a mistake that one time.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy

Computer is reprogrammed, 7.3's used a module/chip that plugs into the obd port, later trucks use a tuner to change the programming. Some are good, others not so much, and a few will shorten the life of the engine and or transmission.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Screwbolts View Post
    Just to set the record straight:

"Engine" Engines are of internal combustion by design! "Internal combustion Engine"

Motors have cords and generally require electricity to operate!

Unless you have a long cord your vehicle does not have a "Motor", it has and "Engine"

Words mean things.

Ken
    HUM dont they call them motorcycles and out board motors???

motor
    [ˈmōdər]
    NOUN
    a machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts.

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    never was a Cummins in a Ford pickup from the factory.
    Not true. In the early 2000's Ford did offer the Cummins in their 450 and 550 series pick ups. Some trucks wore a Sterling badge.
    Last edited by wolfwing; 07-15-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Banned

chipped came from back when automotive computers had actual chips in them with programing that to change programing you popped out on chip and stuck in another. For the most part now a computer has to be taken out of the car or truck and plugged into another computer to change programing. Matter of fact most of them are factory locked to prevent reprograming. But most of the locks are eventually figured out and unlocked to allow reprograming. There is usually a lot more power to gain in a diesels computer then a gas motor. gas motors are lucky to pick up 10hp with a tuner. maybe 30 with a real dyno tune. Diesel motors a 100hp is easy and like was said with a few other parts and a tuner even 300hp is doable. But go that far and good chance you will have to upgrade your transmission at minimum. We had one guy with a duramax at a car shot dyno last year do 1060hp and he said it wasnt even turned up all the way. But he had bigger tubos bigger intercooler bigger injectors and a well built transmission. But to this old gas hot rod guy that was awful impressive. This years show they had a sign up NO DIESELS
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 07-15-2021 at 10:05 AM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    Just as a side note.
    I used to contract into Caterpillar maintaining servers at their Mossville engine plant. Back in the early 2000's, they were working on their ACERT engine for on highway use. It used in series turbochargers to put 100PSI air into the cylinders. Emission regulations were getting so strict that they ended up dropping on highway engine production which IMHO was a shame because Cat was a top quality company.

Many afternoons if all servers were up and running with no issues, I'd put in earplugs and don safety glasses to walk different machining lines. Nothing like watching a gray rough cast block or head go through each machining station to come out as a part ready to assemble.
    Exactly correct, I worked for a Caterpillar dealer at that time and Cat had been steadily gaining market share, EPA regulations being able to kill the whole thing is amazing to me especially when you see kids rolling coal in a pickup that costs over 50k!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsm180 View Post
    2009-2011 F series used the 6.4L, I'll be nice and say that engine is less than desirable. The 6.0L can be made just as reliable as the 7.3 with a little work and good preventative maintenance. My 03' 6.0 is pushing 240k miles and still running the original head gaskets and bolts. The key is understanding the engine and knowing how to work on it.
    the 450's I was looking at were cut aways and they had the 6.0 in them
    I'm no expert but the fleet manager I met sure is. after learning what I can about them
    I'd much rather have a 7.3 which when cared for I guess is a 1/2 million mile engine or more

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Thought I saw a Toyota truck awhile back with a Cummings diesel badge on the fender, Anyone?

Boolit Master

Chipped used to refer to an actual ecm or gem module chip that changed engine parameters. Nowadays it usually means you used a programmer to change ( store original and replace?) The engine control parameters. Everything from shift points to timing..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jsm180 View Post
    Computer is reprogrammed, 7.3's used a module/chip that plugs into the obd port, later trucks use a tuner to change the programming. Some are good, others not so much, and a few will shorten the life of the engine and or transmission.
    My 7.3's used a chip that went into the ecm not the obd. I have since removed them. I reprogrammed with a super chips tuner. Didn't have to remove the ecm... Just plug into obd, save original program, send new program. Takes 5 minutes.

Boolit Master
    I dun drived my CumminGS powered Ford truk to the EvINGston wyomin libary.

Boolit Master
    Neighbor has a Dodge 2015 4x4 Fiat diesel, He loves it !

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    Thought I saw a Toyota truck awhile back with a Cummings diesel badge on the fender, Anyone?
    Bet it was Nissan, the Titan XD is Cummins powered. I've seen a few, first one made me look twice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Bet it was Nissan, the Titan XD is Cummins powered. I've seen a few, first one made me look twice.
    You're probably correct about the Nissan, Same here I'm like what the heck?

Boolit Master
    The Edge tuner on my 5.9 Dodge has 5 stages of power and each stage has 5 levels of programming for the different areas. Different trans shift points, different turbo boost levels, different injector timing and flow and so forth. It is plugged in line with the ecm and pcm and can be turned off or on with buttons on the Edge box in the cab. The different levels are also adjustable from the in cab tuner.
    The truck has had a tranny rebuild with better parts and clutch pressure turned up and a special TQ. It has a bit over 200,000 miles and I think I can get another 200,000 on the motor/tranny.

The stock tranny is good for up to about 280hp. After that you have to have it built or your lucky to get 100,000 from the tranny.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123