WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford and Cummins Diesel

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Ford and Cummins Diesel

My son just bought a 1999 Ford 350 heavy duty truck. It has a Cummins diesel and he said it was made before pollution restrictions, that is a good thing. He won’t tell me how many miles are on it or how much he paid. I know for his use, mostly pulling a heavy trailer now and then, It will probably work out for him.

I was wondering what kind of reputation these trucks with those diesel engins have.

Boolit Grand Master

I always thought Ford used the international diesel in their trucks and Dodge used the cummins diesel.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    If that ‘99 F 350 has a Cummins diesel in it, it was put in there aftermarket. Country gent, you are correct as far as pickups go.Big trucks, it’s not a Cummins in the big Fords. Before I get hammered, at one time in Ford’s history of big trucks, they DID run Cummins in their trucks. When they quit, I don’t know. But, pickups?? Never had a Cummins in any one of their trucks as far I know.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy

1999 F-350 diesel came with a 7.3L V-8 Power Stroke, if it has a Cummins it was converted.

Boolit Master

I seem to remember all our ford work trucks back in the 80's had cummins in them, and something about ford was going to buy them out, the buy out thing obviously did not happen and my memory may be a little off.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    At one time Ford owned a controlling interest in Cummins stock, however that was many years ago. During the 1980’s Ford commited to IH, followed by Navistar to use their products in light duty diesels. The medium duty commercial trucks could be ordered without engine, with the end user installing their desired power plant. Ford user navistar engines until the 6.7 was released around 10 years ago.

Boolit Master

Concerning the 7.3 Liter Power Stroke (I have a 1997 F250 still going strong at 285,000 miles):

The History of the 7.3L Diesel Powerstroke Engine

The 7.3L Diesel Power Stroke engine had been used by International for Ford Trucks since 1993. More than one million had left the factory by 1999, with number two million being built by 2002. The name Power Stroke is reserved for Ford trucks and has set a new bar among the Big Three competitors.

The engine was included in the prestigious Diesel Power
    Magazine’s Top 10 Diesel Engines Ever Produced. With more than two
    million Ford trucks equipped with this engine, it beat the total number of Dodge, Chevy and
    GMC diesel engines in just one lineup.

Specs

Displacement: 7.3L; 444 cubic inches
    Configuration: V8
    Compression Ratio: 17.5:1
    Bore: 4.11"
    Stroke: 4.18"
    Injection: Direct injection; hydraulic electronic unit injection (HEUI)
    Aspiration: Single turbocharger
    Valve Train: OHV, two valves per cylinder
    Oil Capacity: 14 to 15 quarts
    Weight: Approximately 920 pounds dry
    Horsepower (Peak): 275 HP @ 2,800 RPM
    Torque (Peak): 525 foot pounds @ 1,600 RPM
    *Peak is qualified by the highest rating given to this area during testing.

With the changes in emission regulations hitting engine production hard
    in 2003, International had to pull the mighty Power Stroke off the
    market, replacing it with a 6.0L Power Stroke. Though the 7.3L Diesel Power Stroke engine is no longer in production, it’s estimated there are around two million still on the road today.

The 7.3L is considered aging to today’s diesel technology, but it was a
    major powerhouse in its heyday. Buyers of trucks with this engine love
    the performance and heavy duty dedication the 7.3L Diesel Power Stroke
    offers. It’s no wonder this engine beat out all the diesels its
    competitors put out combined.

If you’re in the market for a hard working diesel engine you can trust,
    check for a used 7.3L Diesel Power Stroke. Check with your local state
    EPA regulations to find out if you need to perform any modifications.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...stroke-engine/
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    never was a Cummins in a Ford pickup from the factory.

Ford's 7.3L was an international, and it had a good reputation
    Dodge 'married' Cummins in 1989 and the horsepower race was on !
    This left chevy in a far distant 3rd place at the time

Boolit Bub
    I have a 7.3 IDI International Harvester engine in my '89 F-250, no turbo, but with 22 :1 compression, ya dont need it. ... Still runs good, a/c works, cant complain..... EASY TO WORK ON!.... Powerstrokes=not so much...

Boolit Master
    Like others have said, if it has a Cummins, more than likely it was a conversion at some time.
    I had a '99 with a 7.3 Power Stroke. I drove it over 200,000 miles with the only problem being a couple glow plug relays going bad. It was hard starting without the glow plugs.
    I now have a '79 F250 that I installed a Cummins engine from a '89 Dodge. The Dodge showed 87,000 miles on the odometer, but the previous owner said he knew it had been around once and thought it may have been around twice. I've put 70,000 miles on it since then, so it has somewhere between 257 and 357 thousand miles on the engine. I don't have or anticipate any problem with the engine. I've heard stories of over a million miles on the Cummins engines, but I doubt I'll live long enough to find out if mine will go that far.

Boolit Master
    I had a Ford with a cornbinder IDI Diesel, Cummins is an upgrade.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Just as a side note.
    I used to contract into Caterpillar maintaining servers at their Mossville engine plant. Back in the early 2000's, they were working on their ACERT engine for on highway use. It used in series turbochargers to put 100PSI air into the cylinders. Emission regulations were getting so strict that they ended up dropping on highway engine production which IMHO was a shame because Cat was a top quality company.

Many afternoons if all servers were up and running with no issues, I'd put in earplugs and don safety glasses to walk different machining lines. Nothing like watching a gray rough cast block or head go through each machining station to come out as a part ready to assemble.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jsm180 View Post
    1999 F-350 diesel came with a 7.3L V-8 Power Stroke, if it has a Cummins it was converted.
    Agreed.. it was an international design. Probably the best engine ford ever used... I have a 99 350 and a 99 450. Great engines.. can outlast the truck. A 25$ sensor can leave you on the side of the road.. so most owners travel with a spare one in the glove box with a chinese 10mm wrench taped to it. just get behind a front wheel and r&r the CPS.. back to driving. also watch the oil pan for salt erosion.. otherwise.. just common truck stuff.

Boolit Master

I miss my 87 6.9 Navistar. They started the 7.3's in 88 which I think the only difference was they were bored out to 4.11. Ironically Ford did have almost 11% stock in Cummins from mid 90's to 2015. See here >>>>https://www.4btengines.com/rumor-mil...-owns-cummins/
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    It’s too bad that Ford and Cummins never got together with respect to pick-ups.

The International Diesel engines are a good second place choice however.

The problems with Ford occurred when they went with Ford diesels. Not good!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    Like others have said it would have come from the factory with a powerstroke. Putting a Cummins in would be a downgrade, no matter what anyone says. If it is in good shape, he paid big for it. The square bodies are going for huge money if they are nice anymore.

The 6.no and the 6.4 were junk unless you did some major work to them. The new 6.7 is a monster and once again blows the cummins out of the water. I am fairly biased, as I drive a 6.7, but I've run the dodge motors and they did not then (7.3)and still do not hold a candle to the powerstroke. The straight sixes just can't make the power that a big block V-8 does.

Ken

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    If that ‘99 F 350 has a Cummins diesel in it, it was put in there aftermarket. Country gent, you are correct as far as pickups go.Big trucks, it’s not a Cummins in the big Fords. Before I get hammered, at one time in Ford’s history of big trucks, they DID run Cummins in their trucks. When they quit, I don’t know. But, pickups?? Never had a Cummins in any one of their trucks as far I know.
    The Ford heavy duty trucks could be purchased with a Cummins, Caterpillar, or Detroit diesel engines.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    I had I think a 97 F-250 7.3 diesel, Thing would get stuck in wet grass, When I sold it a few months later I made a grand off it.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    My son just bought a 1999 Ford 350 heavy duty truck. It has a Cummins diesel and he said it was made before pollution restrictions, that is a good thing. He won’t tell me how many miles are on it or how much he paid. I know for his use, mostly pulling a heavy trailer now and then, It will probably work out for him.

I was wondering what kind of reputation these trucks with those diesel engins have.
    It is what's called a Fummins. Lots of conversions of this type have been made, it is most likely a 12 valve 5.9 Cummins, and it is a great combination that will provide lots of miles of use.
    Have your son sign up at cumminsforum.com to learn everything he needs to know about that engine, there is also a good conversion section with many knowledgeable members. I am an Administrator there with the same user name.
    Last edited by tryNto; 07-13-2021 at 10:21 PM.
    Casting, Reloading & Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    At one time Ford owned a controlling interest in Cummins stock, however that was many years ago.
    Not so, that's an urban myth.

Cummins set the record straight in their May 2013 newsletter, outlining that Ford Motor Company had purchased 10.8% of the diesel engine manufacturer in 1990.
    In 1997, those shares were bought back, and as such Ford has not owned a stake in Cummins since. Think of it as an investment for Ford, rather than a strategic partnership.
    Beyond the medium-duty market, there are no additional ties between Ford and Cummins. If you were told that Ford owns or has owned Cummins, your source was blatantly incorrect.

https://www.dieselhub.com/news/ford-owns-cummins.html
    Casting, Reloading & Shooting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast