Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Mold Suggestions for Baby Rolling Block .45 Colt

Mold Suggestions for Baby Rolling Block .45 Colt

I recently picked up a Pedersoli baby roller in 45 colt, it has a 20in barrel with a 1/16" twist. I understand that the most popular molds in this caliber are usually originally intended for 45acp, flat points for lever guns or swc for revolvers. This little carbine has some capability beyond those limitations so the question appears, what mold can I use in this rifle to really get the most out of it? I have a lee 452-228-1R and lyman 452374 to try out as well.

My go to for the 45 Colt is #454190. It pretty well duplicates the original bullet and flies very well from the Marlin 1894. A very lightly duplexed black powder load generally is best for accuracy from what I've found.

Boolit Grand Master
    The RCBS 45-270, or one of the clones thereof, would be my choice, given that it is a strong action, single shot. Loaded hot with H-110/296, this combination should be able to handle just about anything this side of an Alaskan Brown Bear, and might do fine there. Loaded mild with Red Dot, Unique or Trail Boss, you have a fun plinker.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Vendor Sponsor

It might be worth pushing a soft round ball through the barrel to know what the Pedersoli barrel is like. It goes without saying, getting the right diameter bullet is helpful.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

Take a look at the many offerings by NOE www.noebulletmolds.com
    The 45 Colt case has decent room for powder , my thoughts on a hunting rifle (deer or hogs) would be :
    NOE 454 - 265 - WFN - A01
    NOE 454 - 283 - WFN - BL1
    I believe the rifle will easily handle heavier boolits than 250 grain ... the 283 gr. WFN might be the sweet spot . 45 Colt Rifle Loads ... And I would get a mould set up to cast hollow points ...in solid or HP form it should do well on a close range deer or hog .
    I've always thought rolling blocks were nifty rifles ... but never owned one .
    You don't have to worry about feeding , roll open and shove the round in ... Slick !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My bullet and load for H&R Classic Cowboy .45 Colt single-shot.
    Attachment 286152
    Attachment 286151
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Depends if you are looking for a target bullet or something that is more about delivering trauma - either to game or milk jugs.

Accurate Molds has A TON of .45 designs. He has quite a few that take the meplat (nose flat) diameter down to his minimum of 0.18" if you are looking for best aerodynamics. His 45-260W might have possibilities if all you plan for it is to run in a single shot.

Do you also plan to run this in a revolver? If so, look for one with a crimp groove or ask for one to be added. If it's only for the roller, that's not required.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.