RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Texas where the GREAT REVIVAL is to start?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    In both cases, not the former and sometimes the latter.
    I believe this to be true!

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Winger Ed - An analogy to the "Missionary" aspect of large/mega churches is the desire to go to some other far away country and improve the lives of those there - yet they can't go down the road a mile in any direction and improve the lives of those closer to home.
    From what I've seen, they don't do either one.

When we lived in the city, Robt. Tilton's big church was about 3/4 mile away.
    My Aunt was one of his flock that gave darn near every dollar she had to him.
    I always figured she thought she was buying her way into Heaven.

This is a guy who would fly in from California, in his private jet, to stay in Dallas for Sat. and his service on Sunday.
    And yeah, both of his houses were almost big enough to have their own zip codes.

One of his deals was dedicated checks/donations-
    The checks he promised to personally pray over, along with a letter of what you wished for........
    Boxes of them were found cancelled, and inside a dumpster in Oklahoma.

One family of his flock was on the news, they fell on hard times, and drove in for some promised help.
    Upon arrival, Security ran them out of the parking lot.

There is or was a couple more cut from the same cloth around town, but they were smaller, and kept a lower profile.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Prayer has nothing to do with changing God. Fervent prayer (let the reader understand) changes us profoundly, transforming our minds into something acceptable to God. Our faith is thus multiplied. I have never moved mountains so my faith is small. Even so I have witnessed miracles of grace and healing as my prayers were joined with others called to pray in specific circumstances.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

This reminds me of when I worked in the deepest, darkest part of S. West Dallas.
    Our store wasn't in the ghetto, but you could see it from there.

A local church there sold and delivered plate lunches pretty frequently to the neighborhood businesses and homes.
    They were a little more expensive than if you went to the drive up window at 'burger Biggie',,,, however;
    You haven't lived until you've had a plate lunch made by some 60-odd year old, Southern born & bred, big, fat, black guy.
    Gosh they were good.

They were always actively seeking donations, but all their proceeds also stayed in the neighborhood.
    They had their own 'meals on wheels' program for old and disabled folks who couldn't get out.
    They gave away clothes and coats to kids & homeless, and offered tutoring to school kids.

Great folks, and I always looked forward to those lunches.
    I think they charged $8-9 bucks. After the first one I had, I always gave them a $20. to be sure
    they came by our store the next time they made them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Winger Ed - An analogy to the "Missionary" aspect of large/mega churches is the desire to go to some other far away country and improve the lives of those there - yet they can't go down the road a mile in any direction and improve the lives of those closer to home.
    Wanting other people to improve the lives of the poor is a noble idea ... and it's feel good easy too. But, the primary purpose of the church is to spread the spiritual gospel of eternal life through the accomplished work of Jesus, not to be a world wide soup kitchen.

America has huge numbers of "poor" folk, and some of it'a legitimate, but if we look just a little below the surface we can quickly find why there are so many people who live looking like open mouth little birds in a nest waiting to be fed by someone else.

Sadly, the small numbers of Christians is overwhelmed by the huge numbers who need daily helping. Even more sad is how many of the poor actively avoid helping themselves to anything but the largess of others; were it not for the vast numbers of the useless, our temporal helping of the truly needy would be much more effective.

Bottom line, living free doesn't mean getting to live for free! The church is only charged to aid the needy people within the church but we do much more than that. There are valid reasons the truly poor and the truly useless run terrible risks and go to such extremes to get here; the USA has the fattest, best dressed and best cared for "poor" in the world.

Banned
    The modern commercialized church in this country has sold out to political correctness. It is as far from Godly as anything I have seen.

Until the megachurches stand up against the moral decay instead of embracing it no true revival will be possible through them.

Perhaps a groundswell of laymen who buck the liberal megachurches will come about.

Steve in N CA

This is what I thought the OP was about.

https://promisekeepersevent.com/
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Man
    I've been pondering on Matthew 7:21-23 lately. It seems apparent that the heart of God's will for us is more than amazing miracles. We are about to be about "the family business" of introducing people to Jesus, and loving them as Jesus loves them. Matthew 25:35-40 seems to really get to the heart of our duties as Christ's ambassadors. I think the Lord is asking what I can point to, specifically, in my life that fills his command to clothe the naked, visit the sick and imprisoned, feed the hungry and welcome the stranger.
    When a local community of believers is moved to fulfill these things that remain at the heart of God, I believe His favor will show up and revival occur. Because, lets face it, for revival you have to have..."vival".

Boolit Master
    I don't know? How about the revival going on right now at Asbury University in Wilmore, Kentucky?

I really think we ought to be praying for what is going on there.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Concerning the mega churches, often what you're seeing is not only using God as a stage prop for show business but also (and there's nothing new about this) it's government business. And not just the US government. Be aware of who you serve.

3 years ago we were lucky enough to spend 7 weeks in New Orleans with my Aunt Skelly. Skelly grew up next door to my mom. And her home life was troubled so she spent a lot of time with Aunt Thelma and Uncle Robert, my maternal grandparents.

About the 3rd week we were there she asked if we were coming to church?
    Now normally her daughter would pick her up and take her. But this week she was tied up with something.
    Now I did not bring any church clothes. But I showered and got into my best shirt and pants, loaded us up and went and found the church.

Little Farms United Church of Christ

4201 Transcontinental Drive
    Metairie, LA 70006

https://www.lfucc.org/

Now this is a mission based church.
    They do not have a big fancy building. Their pastor works for a living same as everyone else.
    And she did not have a new car.

What really struck me was when she opened the service, she told them to great their neighbors.
    Then came walking down the aisle to find out who WE were.

It was the warmest most honest welcome I had ever received in a church. We truly felt welcome and at home.

Every month, Little Farms UCC donates a specified collection of items to support local community partners.
    In 2018, LFUCC members donated 1,680 pounds of food to The Dorothy B. Watson Community Center, and in 2019 we exceeded our annual goal to donate a ton of food to the Watson Center, literally, a ton (2000 pounds) of food.
    In 2020 and 2021, our monthly donations were interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic and the damages to our Church building by Hurricane Ida, but we are proud to have been able to support Covenant House New Orleans, Animal Rescue New Orleans, Back Bay Mission in Biloxi, MS, and The Dorothy B. Watson Community Center in Metairie, LA.

Here is a church who is taking care of those a mile down the road. They had programs for helping the homeless in the inner city.
    They are reaching out to those near to them in need and doing what they can.

Now THAT is a church.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

If Jesus was to walk up to a Mega-Church in Texas he'd start tearing it up and whippin' the money changers. He did it before and is going to do it again. Some people just never learn.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Bub
    Wow, don’t know whether this is the start of “the great revival” but this thread has revived after a year and seven months. Churchian is a new term for me and appropriate for some and I am adding it to my vocabulary.

To the question, revival will start when each one of us looks in the mirror and sees the “man of sin”, humbles himself “under God” and THEN we will hear from heaven and he will heal our land.

Boolit Master

It's mostly about tithe...disguised as spiritual.
    Nowadays, political & social wokeness likewise abound both pro & anti in these gatherings to gain tithing share
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

The tithe is good. Shows your not in love with your money. Revival won’t bejesus coming down but a lot of hurting people giving their lives to God because of pressure from government and splinter groups. Feeling oppressed and needing somewhere to turn. Like the Vival in China. Like in a revolution here or after a dirty bomb. Hurting people wanting something better. That always gets them. Pain would make worship more meaningful. If somebody comes doing miracles it’s probably antichrist.

Boolit Master
    We need more missionaries in America
    to revive some of the failing, dying churches.
    Church is not a spectator sport.
    My church sponsors a missionary in Kharkiv
    and a missionary in San Francisco

We haven't heard from San Francisco for a while
    I hope they are ok.
    Lord, bless our missionaries everywhere!

Revival begins at home
    and works from witness to witness
    hymn to hymn, prayer to prayer
    from the ordinary to the miraculous.

The Book speaks of "stumblingstones"
    and there certainly are some to trip over.

I believe America is not done with greatness yet.
    Paradigm shifts are, by definition, unexpected.
    Even so, Lord Jesus, come quickly!

Revival does indeed begin at home.
    Perhaps it is time for home churches.

PS,
    Came back to say that yeah, Isaiah 26 has been on my mind.
    Last edited by Good Cheer; 02-27-2023 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Added a PS.

Isaiah 26...
    Recently heard a pastor comment that it's time to begin organizing home, some would call underground, churches.
    Is it that time already? The more I think about it the more it does look that way.

Boolit Buddy
    Heard a story about a local major tree company's owner grandson went to a particular church. He has tattoo sleeves and doesn't look "churchy". A decon asked him to leave as he was not welcome there. Sad just sad. We have got to get away from our four and no more. All denominations are on the same team. We all need to come together and be The Church and show the love that Christ showed the world. Revival starts on our knees

Boolit Master
    Baptist joke from Arizona

Cowboy visited church
    He looked like a cowboy walked like a cowboy
    talked like a cowboy smelled like a cowboy
    After service the preacher told the cowboy
    to go home and pray about what to wear next Sunday.
    The next Sunday the preacher asked the cowboy
    "Didn't you pray to God about what to wear to church?"
    "Yes I did" said the cowboy "God said He had never been to this church
    so He wouldn't know what to wear, either"

It's their souls to save not their skins!
    I am sorry we can't reach the teens before they use themselves for coloring books.
    But maybe, just maybe they'll bring their kids.

Jesus could look at a man
    and know what was in his heart.
    I cannot.
    Most people judge another in about 2 seconds.
    First impressions are often wrong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast