Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Texas where the GREAT REVIVAL is to start?

Boolit Master

Is Texas where the GREAT REVIVAL is to start?

With so many mega church's in Texas, surely the great revival of our country will start from there ! Or are they just like the rest of us do nothings? You watch any of these programs and the congregations are shouting and clapping and ready to be raptured, yet you never hear of any great revival happening. How come?

Boolit Master
    Because everyone is comfortable.

IMO too many preachers in too many churches won't preach anything that could/would upset their flock.

If a revival comes it will be from the churchless but strong in their faith.

Our nation as a whole needs to fall on its knees and repent. And I don't see it happening.

Alas Babylon that City on a hill that sent forth a clear shining light for all to see.

The light is dimmed now. I am afraid we are doomed to follow the Jews and the torment they suffered through.

You want it to change, or stop. We as a people need to be less concerned about this life and more concerned about the one to come after this one.
    We need to put our trust in the Lord not ourselves.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

Because Christianity should be about an individual and his/her relationship with the Lord - while the Mega Church/Revival is about showmanship and the big bucks.

Concerning "Revivals": My dad as a young man was a helllion. One can explain it by being a child of the depression, having a father who was a drunk (WW-I vet), losing his mother and dropping out of grade school in 3rd grade to care for younger sisters, and... He tells the story of going to a "Traveling Revival" meeting near Shamrock Texas where he witnessed a crippled man throw his crutches away and walk - totally healed. He was so impressed that he followed the "Revival" to the next community; where he witnessed the same man on crutches throw them away and walk once again. He was agnostic until my mother convinced him that Christianity was about the individual and their relationship with the Lord.

And yes JimB; everyone today is comfortable - even those unemployed and those on Public Assistance of all forms. (Not a recipe for christianity I read about in my bible).
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 07-12-2021 at 01:22 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you believe God is omniscient, He already knows what will happen to this country. He has a plan, and our prayers and repentance will not affect the result of His plan. Our "charge" is to use our free will to live as He wants us to live and to find our comfort in Him.

IMO praying for our nation is "feel good" stuff. If His plan requires our nation to fall, such is His will and it will be done. We can pray for strength and wisdom to deal with what may happen but we cannot pray to undo or change His plan. He is our God...He does not answer to us or our wishes.

There is no mention of a nation like ours in the Bible. God's interest is not in nations (save possibly the Jewish nation), but in His children. America does not hold a special place in God's Kingdom.
    Don Verna

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Every great revival started in a prayer meeting. Everyone was convicted of their sins and started confessing them to the Lord asking forgiveness for their sins. It spread till folks quit confessing sins and preachers got involved. Want a revival it starts with confessing sins and turning to the Lord and following his word, the Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by augercreek View Post
    With so many mega church's in Texas, surely the great revival of our country will start from there ! Or are they just like the rest of us do nothings? You watch any of these programs and the congregations are shouting and clapping and ready to be raptured, yet you never hear of any great revival happening. How come?
    What you are watching is church entertainment. Jesus show biz, if you will. Folks go for the entertainment and the adrenalin high. That wears off and then they go back for their next fix. Lots of emotion, but very little actual substance. basically these services are music events, with a motivational speech thrown in, sprinkled with Jesus words. Do not expect the birth of a spiritual movement and you won't be disappointed. Jesus Inc. is big business now.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    ... you never hear of any great revival happening. How come?
    Auger, what I mean is, what do you think such a revival would look like? Some folk think it would be a rush of the Holy Spirit bringing in new converts. Others think it would be a flood of recommitments from those of us who are already Christian.

To me, the word itself suggests the second, i.e., a personal RE-vival of an old spiritual intensity and an internal - heart - refocusing on Godly living before the world. What say you?
    Last edited by 1hole; 07-12-2021 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    I dunno; what do you think such a revival would look like?
    I have been the preacher at well over a hundred revivals. Some have been good meetings with folks doing serious business with the Lord. That said, I have seen one genuine "Holy Ghost Revival" in my life. It was both wonderful and scary at the same time. When it happens, you know it is the product of the Spirit and not anything human about it. It can't be control or channeled, you just have to let the Spirit go where he wishes. It scared the bejabbers out of me and on paper I was the one in charge. It happened at Brooklyn United Methodist Church in Baltimore in the winter of 1977. Folks from many churches came, as the word spread. Protestants of all stripes and Catholics as well. Some drove a hundred miles in the snow just to be there. Standing room only for ten days. I preached the same sermons and taught the same breakfast Bible studies that I have used dozens of times, and nothing like that happened before, so I know it was not me. It is a once in a lifetime experience and it forever changes you. You know that from time to time God still will assert his authority and do what cannot be explained.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

With so many mega church's in Texas, surely the great revival of our country will start from there
    They're all about begging for money, and getting lots of it.
    Their flock is mostly gullible fools trying to buy, or con their way into heaven.

Our local news has stories of their deceit and corruption all too often.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Well, there are a few different views here aren't there. If God won't change His plan, then why pray for our country? Why pray at all?

Boolit Grand Master

We were in a Baptist Church in Concord, NH years ago - and I mean more than 25 years ago. We had a Mission's program and the lead speaker was a man in his 70's who was then head of TEAM. He told us that when he was a teenager he and his brother went to a summer camp in Cape Cod, MA. He and his brother were saved at that camp. He told us that he, his brother, and his mother went from 'Church' to 'Church' in Boston for six months before they found one that knew what it meant to be 'born again'. His point was that New England has been in a tremendous revival for the past 50 years - but you don't see it when you are in the midst because all you see is the battle. There are bible believing Churches all over New England today. They are still in a battle.

I firmly believe that there are many more Churchians in the Church today than there are Christians. That is, there are many more who believe in the Church or the pastor than there are who believe in Christ.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Well, there are a few different views here aren't there. If God won't change His plan, then why pray for our country? Why pray at all?
    This deserves it’s own topic of you feel like starting another.

Prayer can be many things, but I struggle with the value of intercessory prayer. I get that it’s modeling what Jesus did for us, but I fail to understand why. Sometimes it feels like it’s just about having something to do when there is nothing else you can do. Sometimes it feels like it helps to know that the community is trying to help. Praying for the country, I think it’s probably more effective to spend that time talking to a young person.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    This deserves it’s own topic of you feel like starting another.

Prayer can be many things, but I struggle with the value of intercessory prayer. I get that it’s modeling what Jesus did for us, but I fail to understand why. Sometimes it feels like it’s just about having something to do when there is nothing else you can do. Sometimes it feels like it helps to know that the community is trying to help. Praying for the country, I think it’s probably more effective to spend that time talking to a young person.
    Q: Does prayer change God's mind, or does prayer change out minds?

A:

Q: Does prayer align God's will with ours, or does prayer align our will with God's?

A:

Boolit Master

Both questions - Either one, the other, or both - Whatever God intends it to be - Our understanding is limited
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    They're all about begging for money, and getting lots of it.
    Well, "all" is pretty harsh. I believe most mega-churches are mega because they're good churches and it seems most of them handle money fairly well. Your thoughts about TV show-biz mega-churches are dead on but they aren't "all" mega-churches by any means. The flamboyant fakes are just the most visible because they are fakes.

Their flock is mostly gullible fools trying to buy, or con their way into heaven.
    Perhaps. Those who fit that description are fooling themselves but, sadly, many of them are just well meaning dupes.

Our local news has stories of their deceit and corruption all too often.
    The fact that church deceit and corruption is "news" says it's outside the norm. I have faith that most ministers and churches (of any size) are honest.

God's good workers - and there are many - will be rewarded in the hereafter. But self-indulgent religious show biz pretenders like Joel Osteen, Benny Hind, Jim/Tammy Baker, Joyce Myers, et al, better enjoy their vainglory and sly theft of God's wealth now because Jesus says they're in for hellz correction later. Jesus quite clearly speaks of hard working but self deluded churchists who really work for themselves in Mt 7:21-23: "... depart from me ..."

Come quickly Lord Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    Both questions - Either one, the other, or both - Whatever God intends it to be - Our understanding is limited
    Our understanding is indeed limited, but it is not non-existent.

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Well, "all" is pretty harsh. I believe most mega-churches are mega because they're good churches and it seems most of them handle money fairly well. [/I]
    Seeing some of them in the light that I have, I guess I look at them as some of us do lawyers:
    'Sure there are some good ones, but the other 95% give the rest of them a bad name'.

Such as when a real missionary in some horrible place was interviewed by a news agency.
    He talked of mega church camera crews coming in and only wanting to photograph the worst of the worst living conditions.
    They'd take a bunch of pictures, go home, and the preacher would use them as he cried, and begged for money.
    Then, not a dime came back to those places where the local missionary was actually bringing the Gospel to the heathens..
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Seeing some of them in the light that I have, I guess I look at them as some of us do lawyers:
    'Sure there are some good ones, but the other 95% give the rest of them a bad name'.

Such as when a real missionary in some horrible place was interviewed by a news agency.
    He talked of mega church camera crews coming in and only wanting to photograph the worst of the worst living conditions.
    They'd take a bunch of pictures, go home, and the preacher would use them as he cried, and begged for money.
    Then, not a dime came back to those places where the local missionary was actually bringing the Gospel to the heathens..
    Winger Ed - An analogy to the "Missionary" aspect of large/mega churches is the desire to go to some other far away country and improve the lives of those there - yet they can't go down the road a mile in any direction and improve the lives of those closer to home.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Q: Does prayer change God's mind, or does prayer change out minds?

A:

Q: Does prayer align God's will with ours, or does prayer align our will with God's?

A:
    In both cases, not the former and sometimes the latter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast