RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: what not to get.

Boolit Buddy

what not to get.

I always have hated taking a hand gun with me when I hunt because of the elements. mud and dust and mostly dust. I have found that in north Texas there is a dust, is like baby powder. This dust will get into place that I would not have thought it could get into. I finally got my hi point 45 acp carbine, and was looking at the hi point 45 acp pistol. I thought to myself a less than 200 hundred dollar gun and if it gets abused no big loss. I read and and watched youtube video about the hi-point jhp, almost everyone said it was heavy and bulky. I said to myself I think I can deal with it, well who wants to spend alot on a holster for a 200 hundred dollar gun. Keeping with hi-point, I ordered the hi-point holster as well. So today I put the pistol on today and give it a test run while doing yard work. It did not last 5 minutes and this set up will not go hunting with me. This set up is bulky and heavy and does not carry well at all, the only why I can sum it is its always in the way. I may carry it in a back pack or if find an over the shoulder bag. My best ideas are not always the best. LOL

Too bad that didn't work out for you. A shoulder bag might work, but it would be slow to get out. I decided years ago that a handgun in addition to a rifle was too much, so I started leaving the handgun at home. One is much better armed with a rifle anyway.....

DG

Moderator Emeritus

Have you looked into a Kenai chest rig? I carry my SA 10mm when in the woods and like it.

May be a bit much for a Highpoint, but I have been very pleased with the simply rugged chest rig. Not in the way when walking or driving. Also the same rig works with multiple holsters. Really easy to zip a jacket over it in rain or snow.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Your first comment on hating carrying a handgun when hunting made me pause. I hunt with & only carry a handgun when hunting.

That said,, Having spent time in TX & knowing the dust & all,, I understand your thought process. But,, I prefer to carry a firearm I know, trust, and expect to work 100% of the time. That said, I do spend money on good holsters, & also plan on cleaning a firearm once the day is over, if necessary.

I have found the Hi-Point firearms to be a bit too bulky & heavy for my purposes.

The Hi-point pistols are best at home or in a vehicle IMO. Too heavy- as is necessary for a zinc slide blowback gun.
    I like my Ruger Wrangler for carry on the tractor and walking. I never worry about the elements with it. IMO, it's the best $200 handgun out there for riding or walking the dusty trails.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I would have thought an LEO Glock trade in would fit the need. They seem to run OK when a bit dirty but I am not familiar with Texas sand.

That Hi-Point will still be a decent truck gun if you decide to keep it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Use a good dry lube on the non metal to metal parts of your gun, I use the Sentry Solutions Tuff Cloth to wipe dry lube on my Glock, though it does get dusty, it is not enough to keep it from functioning. Worked very well on multiple deployments to various sandboxes with sand as fine as cocoa powder, used it on both my M4 and M9, though eventually went with Militec on the M4, specially the internal parts.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014879854?pid=449355

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    I always have hated taking a hand gun with me when I hunt because of the elements. mud and dust and mostly dust. I have found that in north Texas there is a dust, is like baby powder.

I’m guessing where you hunt there’s lots of post oaks & green briar, a hallmark of sandy loam here in North TX.

I’ve plowed fields, then looked back afterwards to see what looked like one of those cartoon pictures of L.A. smog. When dry it’s like house dust. Growing winter decent wheat in the stuff required a 2-1 fertilizer with 60# actual nitrogen per acre.

I toted revolvers over it my whole life without any problems. The sand drains very well and mud was never a problem, unlike my current property which is clay loam. That stuff gets wet & stays wet.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I carried an SS Sec 6 about 3 years , a Taurus 66 for a season and a summer , a Blackhawk 5 seasons , and a XD40 for 2 yr of not hunting season in western central Nevada with talcum powder fine decomposed granite . The stuff will work into jeans hems through the stitches and cuts like 800 grit wet/dry . The blow sand is similar but 180 grit .

Graphite dry film is fine as long as it's dry .
    TTFE is fine down to about 15° where it gets gummy and balls up .
    Silicone in the trigger groups and kept out of powder fouling and pressure ares is great .
    Light machine oil in the sliding parts and only in the contact areas is about as good as it gets , you just have to wash it out about every 7-10 days , after group moto rides , and winds over 25 mph .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Moderator Emeritus

Doesn't the dust and crud get in a long gun as well?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

When it comes to inexpensive hunting holsters that carry well, and don't look too bad, it is extremely hard to beat a Hunter Versafit holster. They are not dirt cheap like a few fabric options, but when you consider that they fit such a wide range of guns, it makes a lot more sense. With my size #4 holster I can fit my GP100, Redhawk, and model 57 in the same holster with nothing but a quick adjustment of the strap.

If you are looking for a holster to protect a handgun, then there is no arguing that a flap holster will protect more than anything else. Some may consider it unnecessary, but nobody denies the flap adds protection. Unfortunately I'm not aware of a good and inexpensive flap holster.

Boolit Master
    I'd find an old 1911. Out here we get a lot of wind and fine dust as well as sand. The newer 1911's are assembled to closer tolerances for better accuracy. The older ones were more like the GI issue, they 'rattle' a bit. Not as accurate but they can accumulate what seems to be a ton of dirt and still function.

And I second the dry lube. Dad used to use the powdered graphite on his .45. Same stuff we used on locks. It was messy to apply but it worked well.

And, yes, flap holsters are a little better. Better is if you can wear it under a shirt.

I live in a rain forest up here in the NW of Canada so I am the last guy who should comment on what you need in dusty Texas but as a thought.... I would suggest, this maybe the only time you ever here me say this, a police turn in Glock 9MM or .40cal would be your choice. Failing that, a M&P FS new or used in 9MM. Polymer guns don't require much lubricant if any at all. Most of the guns are dead nuts reliable under most conditions.

If you really need a firearm to protect yourself, buying an entry level pistol because they don't cost as much as say a Glock or M&P I would suggest trying to save money, when your life might depend on your decision is somewhat less than wise. The difference between a proven design such as a Glock or M&P can't be more than a couple hundred dollars in the US.

Take Care

Bob
    ps I dislike Glocks because of their ergonomics and don't own one for that reason BUT they are popular for a reason and they work.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I live less than 15 miles from the ol' Red River and it can definitely be dusty up here. When I'm hunting I just don't carry a handgun and a rifle, ever. I figure if I can't get it done with a rifle, a handgun won't do me any good. That said, I do hunt deer mostly with a handgun and wear a handgun almost all the time when I'm outside, mostly for rattlesnakes and stray dogs. I keep a S&W 10-7 on the shelf over my computer and grab it when I go outside. It's a light, trim revolver and loaded with 158 gr. cast SWC's running around 900 fps, it'll do everything that needs to be done around here.

I'm also fond of SA revolvers and frequently carry one of the homely looking Uberti Frisco's in .357 Magnum. It's stoked with 152-ish gr. SWC's from a Lyman 358477 and run about 1000 fps they take care of any business around here.

If it's during deer season I'm more likely to have a SA .44 Special or 45 Colt on my hip, just in case.

Regardless of what I'm wearing, when mowing or doing work on the tractor or cutting firewood, they get filthy, especially mowing in the summer when the dust is horrible. So when I'm finished with the chores, I just plug in the compressor and with an air nozzle blow out the barrel, chambers and run it around the trigger and hammer to blast the innards. Of course I'll occasionally disassemble them and give them a good cleaning too.

So if you want to carry a handgun in these situations, you might consider a revolver.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    I always have hated taking a hand gun with me when I hunt because of the elements. mud and dust and mostly dust. I have found that in north Texas there is a dust, is like baby powder. This dust will get into place that I would not have thought it could get into. I finally got my hi point 45 acp carbine, and was looking at the hi point 45 acp pistol. I thought to myself a less than 200 hundred dollar gun and if it gets abused no big loss. I read and and watched youtube video about the hi-point jhp, almost everyone said it was heavy and bulky. I said to myself I think I can deal with it, well who wants to spend alot on a holster for a 200 hundred dollar gun. Keeping with hi-point, I ordered the hi-point holster as well. So today I put the pistol on today and give it a test run while doing yard work. It did not last 5 minutes and this set up will not go hunting with me. This set up is bulky and heavy and does not carry well at all, the only why I can sum it is its always in the way. I may carry it in a back pack or if find an over the shoulder bag. My best ideas are not always the best. LOL
    I have hunted all over Texas and have never had any problems with the elements.

I lived and hunted in North Texas and East Texas. I have hunted in Central and West Texas as well. Talk about dust, along with the wind of West Texas, they have it in spades. But it never caused me any issues.

I have always carried a handgun afield and hunting. Now I don’t roll around in a ghillie suit or lay await on the ground for ambush. My preferred hunting method is stalking and tree stand, with long walks to the stand.

My handguns were either a Colt Gold Cup, Ruger SBH, or Ruger Mark 1 22.

Sorry, I can’t relate to the OP at all.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

I'm a fan of dry graphite in a spray can. Spray it on then wipe off all you can reach with a old cotton T shirt.
    Then wear a shoulder holster with too large of a button up shirt or a jacket over it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.