Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Redding sizer die question

Boolit Master

Redding sizer die question

A friend of mine came over with a set of NEW Redding Dies 45 colt/454FL JO.
    Can someone tell me what the JO means ?
    The reason I ask is because there is a step half way up inside the die and it slightly necks the top 1/3 of case down. So the lower bottom of of the case measures .476 dia and the top third is .4665. This is on a 454 casull brass case he try to size.
    Tomorrow I’ll dig up my 45 colt brass and see what happens.

Any thoughts appreciated as we are at a loss. Did Redding not fully lap the inside to full length ?

Mike

Boolit Mold
    I'm going to guess these are steel dies, not carbide?. I don't know about 454 but I bought a steel Redding set for my .475 Linebaugh, as that's all Redding makes, and it also had a step in it, I thought it wasn't finished so I contacted Redding in an email. I was told that's the way they're made , after sizing it looks like how a dual ring carbide behaves, but it's a steel die, not carbide. After being told that I looked at them a little different, and I like them. Since then have added a 45 Colt dual ring carbide sizer for my .454. So with that said, that was the response I got on the .475 dies, it may be the same for the .454?

My Redding .375 Winchester sizing die is the same, with two diameters. It works.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    I resized a couple of 45 colt cases I have and it sure is hard to start them and they need to be lubed real well and some firm pressure to start them.
    My Lyman die sizes them with ease to .4715 outside dia. And the Redding reduces them to .4665 at the mouth or top1/3. I’m guessing this is for tension when seating a bullet after flaring the mouth to start them.
    I don’t have any Redding Dies to compare with but it seems that your really working the brass by reducing it so much.
    I guess since it’s his, he will check with Redding to confirm that dimension, as he’s not happy about it.

Again, thank you for the reply’s. Mike

My Redding 45-70 does the same.