Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: mp 432-640 gc to alter or not to

Boolit Master

mp 432-640 gc to alter or not to

ive been thinking of cutting the gas check ridge out of one or two of the cavities on this 4 cavity mold.
    ive found that I don't really need a gas check on bullets at 1400 fps at least I get away with no gas check on H&G 503's at full power out of the super red hawk. but feel gas checks are probably necessary when loading in the 444 at 2000fps
    I'm hesitant to alter one of Miha's works of art.
    opinion? should I just save up and order a new mold without gas checks or alter the mold.
    if cutting out the gas check ridge I'm not sure if I have a drill the correct size, without having a mill can it be done properly?
    a number 57 drill bit is .430, I'm thinking that's about as close as I can get and I lube size at .431

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    How did it shoot when you tried shooting it without gas checks?

If there was leading or accuracy problems Booyah excuse to get a new fancy mold!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    your saying try that bullet lube sized without gas check, never tried that. ive always thought if bullet is designed for gas check then it gets a gas check.

Boolit Master

Send it to Eric at Hollow Point Mold Service. He can remove the gas check ring - And it'll still be a work of art.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Yeah absolutely.

It may be more accurate, and it may be cleaner with check, how to know either way with out testing/trying it?

I've never used a gas check, I want to, to test it, and at least in my situation it was ok.
    I was using some lee molds a 358-200gc in revolvers and a rifle,

and a 30cal-170fn for a couple rifles, I don't really use them anymore, since I got myself enchanted with the brass miha molds.

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    Send it to Eric at Hollow Point Mold Service. He can remove the gas check ring - And it'll still be a work of art.
    That's a great idea!

Shipping there and back is $20, and he wants $40 plus $10 per cavity for GC removal. Might as well get another mold.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd be inclined to agree with JAC43. Unless you have a local machinist who can do it for really cheap, I'd bite the boolit and buy another mold. I am no fan of the "combination molds" with two (or more) designs in the mold. It is as rare as a purple zebra for a shooter to use the same amount of each design. Consequently, you end up with a pile of boolits that you don't really need.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I'd put in a request to have MP notify you next time it runs and think about it. MP's machining is going to be better than the gas check removal in most cases. That 640 is popular and runs often.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.