Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Went to a Gun Show today.....

Boolit Master

Went to a Gun Show today.....

in Wilson, NC. It's about 30 minutes from the house. Mostly plastic and tactical guns. There was 32' of tables with PSA AR pistol/rifle stuff. No Wylde chambers. Really went to check ammo and reloading component prices and availability. One table had some LR and LP primers for $125/1000. Boxes looked a little travel worn. CCI 22lr SV was $100/brick. SK Jagd Match Extra was $180/brick. Winchester 22lr SV in the white box was $175/brick. Little hand written on top said it was "MATCH AMMO".

All told it took me 45minutes to see everything twice.

Banned
    That is sad to hear

Boolit Master

I am glad I have what I need I even recently gave some 12 ga. slugs to a widow who has a bear messing with her home ,in case it comes in she has no plan to shoot it outside but is worried because it does not leave when she yells at it .
    DNR will not even talk to her !

I also gave 100 rounds of .22 rim fire to a guy teaching his kids to shoot .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    I bought 200 srp’s a couple days ago. I about chocked when they rang them up...$7.50 per hundred. I guess it was a steal.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    I bought 200 srp’s a couple days ago. I about chocked when they rang them up...$7.50 per hundred. I guess it was a steal.
    In this market that is a good deal. The least expensive we have around here is $100.00 a 1000.

Boolit Master
    Went to an estate auction a couple of days ago. Many long guns and some reloading components. Only one brick of large pistol primers. Must have been at least 20 people who picked that box up and made sure it was full. Auctioneer opened the bidding at $100 and would not back down, and very quickly it sold to a guy who I considered to be a wee bit smarter than that, but he was happy. The rest of us just kind of stood there wondering what had just happened.

Went to a small show in Ocala, Fl last Saturday. It's a Shrine hall so not a big venue, but it was packed. I didn't buy anything, but my partner got a couple of boxes of Fiocchi .32acp from one dealer who had it for only $35 a box which is the cheapest we've been able to find it in over a year - when we could find it at all.

Prices were about what you would expect for the present time, but there was one other dealer who had PMC 62gr fmj .223 ammo for only $13.00 a box and Winchester 12ga 00 buckshot for only twelve bucks a box. Not great prices, but cheaper than I've seen either since the beginning of 2020. I took them for a hopeful sign. Only one table had any .327 Fed Mag ammo and that was two travel-worn boxes of Federal AE 100gr jsp at $65/box. If I can find it for $35/box or less I buy every box I can, but $65 will not find me as a customer.

Stopped at a local gun store on the way out that often sells used equipment, brass, etc and picked up a double handful of .44 spc brass for 20 cents a piece. Magnum brass is easy to find, special not so much.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Boolit Grand Master
    Was in Wally world today and they had federal auto match 325 count pack for a little over 6 cents a round. After tax, probably $20

Boolit Grand Master

I was going to go but decided not to. I wasn't impressed the last time I was there although I did pick up a Noveske lower at a good price. I generally stick to the Dixie in Raleigh although if we are not busy we make a day of the C&E. Gunshow, wander around the swap meet then lunch on the way out of town
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

The thing about the last several gunshows I have been to, is that I drive 2 hours to get there, stand in line a good time, and then go in and see all the tacticool stuff and plastic guns. Take something to trade/sell, it's my (the dealer) stuff is gold, your (me) stuff is ****. Then offer me half of what is worth. I go to local, smaller shows, but the bigger ones I don't drive to like I used to. I started to go to one about 45 minutes from the house, had everything ready to load up, and then self says to me, "You know all you gonna do is drive over there, listen to some idiot tell you everything that could be wrong with yours and how great his is, and then just get mad and frustrated." Put everything back where it goes and had a good day.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master
    I go to gun shows to spend time with a buddy and walk around looking at stuff. I do not expect to find any deals so am pleased when I get lucky.

It is cheaper for me to buy stuff on line or from a distributor I know who attends major trap shoots.
    Don Verna

Haven't been to a gun show since COVID hit.
    I am hesitant to go to the next one around here because i will have to drive an hour, stand in line for another hour, then see nothing but overpriced crap.
    Those on-line auctions are looking better and better every day.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    Quite exited heading out tomorrow for my first Gunshow in 18 Months. After that I plan to poop out a bunch various Handguns test loads at the Range. I am a definitely a Gunshow Junkie, always had a few good Loughs, never expecting to much and rarely been disappointed with what I come away with.

Enjoy your Gunshows before we get this Fall into Stage 4 with more Corona Lock downs.

Cheers

I haven't attended a gun show in probably 3 years now. I live in the far S.E. corner of Oklahoma, rural with a county seat of 7,000 population. For too many years now, the last shows I attended in my area were flea markets, not gun shows. That, and the two closest towns of any size are both across state lines. I can be in Texas in 20 minutes or less, or Arkansas in about 30 minutes. Texarkana TX/AR or Paris, TX are the two I'm speaking of.

I'm 67 years old now and my 'gathering' days have passed. I can't think of anything I may need or want to be honest. I'm happy for those who are enjoying them though. I don't think the want of something new that involves our sport ever truly leaves us. Best of luck and happy hunting at the show. Now and then, there's still a diamond to be found for the right person.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master
    So did y'all have to have a mask on at the shows?????
    Club is planing to have a show, but I'm not sure if I'm going to set up my tables.
    Place is saying mask all the time, proof of shot or testing 48 hours before, tables 6 feet apart, signed waver, random temp testing, and some other stupid stuff.

Our last local show was a couple months ago. It was pretty good considering these times. I've been going to this same little small town show all my life around here. I can't begin to tell ya of all the fun I've had, the gems I've acquired, acquaintances I've renewed, the money I've spent and the money I've saved.

Bumping elbows with like minded people and swapping stories, meeting their kids and their kids kids -- I love it. It's an all day thing for me, and sometimes both days. I never go with any great expectations, except to have a good time, and spend only money that I can afford. Over the years I've bought most of my reloading equipment, components, and untold gems for pennies on the dollar.

Like Murphy, I'm in my mid sixties, and there really isn't anything that I've just gotta have. I haven't retired yet, but when I do, I just might set up a table to get rid of some of the stuff I hardly use. Maybe partner up with someone else also. On these forums I read way too much complaining from folks who apparently think every gun show should be like a trip to Disney Land. None of us has to pay a ridiculous price for anything, and we all have the right to ask what we think our stuff is worth. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master

I went to a show a few months ago and then the next month , had some stuff that was okay and was worth the going , it is entertainment and a chance to meet like minded people , and sometimes one finds something that one wants .

I enjoyed the shows more before the( non )instant checks and going through dealers , shows are a shadow of what they used to be with all the laws and changes here .