Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Ruger No1

Boolit Master

Ruger No1

I purchased the above rifle in 270 Winchester a couple months back and have been re doing the stock after a trip to Africa by the previous owner, I took it out and gave it a run today and I am very impressed with it. I also took my Sportco 22 Hornet out for it's first run and found it shoots way better than I dreamed it would, however I fired some 15 shots and had two of the cases on Winchester factory loads split up the neck. I have been told my many that Winchester's quality has all but gone as the brass seems to be brittle and prone to splitting, does anyone else have this problem. I anneal all my new brass and do not have any problems at all, however it is not possible to anneal factory loaded brass. I have heard all sorts of problems people have with Ruger no1s and it has not been my experience or that of my mate who has two of them. I love single shots and while I will always have a soft spot for the Ruger I will always love my Martini's as well. Regards Stephen

I've owned & presently own several Ruger #1's & #3's. I've never had a split necks but I almost never shoot factory ammo. I buy brand new brass both Win & Rem to start my reloading for a new rifle. It's been many, many years ago & the ammo was factory .270 Winchester Super-X Silvertip, I had 2 dud's out of the box of 20. Luckily it was at the range & not out hunting! This pretty much soured me on Win factory ammo but I do like their brass. It seems to me the Rem brass is better quality than the Win stuff. I had a brand new bag of 100 Win .22-250 brass that I had to return because more than 20% had off-center flash-holes.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    Had a No 1B in 30/06 and three No 3's in 30/40. Still have two of the No 3's, both restocked with pistol grip stocks. Only issue with all of them was the need for offset rings to get proper eye relief with a scope. None of them are/were tack drivers but plenty accurate for hunting and the 30/40's are fun cast boolit slingers.

Boolit Grand Master
    I own several #1's and have never had a split neck. Failure to fire yes, but split neck, no.

Boolit Buddy
    The current production RED BAG Winchester brass in 22 Hornet is rapidly earning a reputation for neck or cases splitting. I'm not sure if the factory loads are having the same issues.