Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Handgun Stopping Power Revisited

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by memtb View Post
    Here is another source of information, that may be quite relevant pertaining to this topic! Maybe the reason that I like it is because I’m not a die hard believer in ft/lbs of energy being as important as it’s many worshipers would have us believe! memtb

http://rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/wounding.html
    memtb: Thanks for that link!

And thanks also for your signature quote:

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel
    That's not just sound advice for selecting a hunting rifle. But I think it's also close to what handgun stopping power is all about -- the ability to incapacitate an attacker when your shot placement sucks.

MacPherson's WTI wound mass numbers simply quantify that ability.
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth.” --George Orwell

Boolit Master
    Could someone who has good understanding of these studies write a clear, coherent paragraph on what they have learned by them .
    What say you OP?
    Is there anything that is clear?
    Is there a caliber and load for that caliber the "experts" say is the "do all" for self defense?
    Someone please write that paragraph.

C'mon 44Mag, that would just be babbling on. Just make it a 15 second sound bite. You could do that.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Quote Originally Posted by pettypace View Post
    memtb: Thanks for that link!

And thanks also for your signature quote:

That's not just sound advice for selecting a hunting rifle. But I think it's also close to what handgun stopping power is all about -- the ability to incapacitate an attacker when your shot placement sucks.

MacPherson's WTI wound mass numbers simply quantify that ability.

memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Could someone who has good understanding of these studies write a clear, coherent paragraph on what they have learned by them .
    What say you OP?
    Is there a caliber and load for that caliber the "experts" say is the "do all" for self defense?
    any cartrdige in a handgun, 22lr and larger, when fired into the back of the human head results in a fatality about 90% of the, unlucky ****'s that survive tend to be vegtables tha tWISH the shooter used a bigger gun

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post
    any cartrdige in a handgun, 22lr and larger, when fired into the back of the human head results in a fatality about 90% of the, unlucky ****'s that survive tend to be vegtables tha tWISH the shooter used a bigger gun
    Now we know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post
    Yep, I'd say 90% is about right. Many years ago there were some kids in town playing with a .22 revolver. Started out as Russian roulette and then they started pointing it at each other. One kid was shot in the head from behind. The bullet skidded around the skull under the skin and came our above one eye. He survived with a concussion and a few stitches.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Yep, I'd say 90% is about right. Many years ago there were some kids in town playing with a .22 revolver. Started out as Russian roulette and then they started pointing it at each other. One kid was shot in the head from behind. The bullet skidded around the skull under the skin and came our above one eye. He survived with a concussion and a few stitches.
    yet i remember a case from the 90s an autistic kid used a pellet gun to peg a mail man in the eye killing the poor fellow.

Murphy rules as always, but smaller makes more problems.

Boolit Master
    Yep. It's like when we debated motorcycle safety and equipment. Several had examples of people who died from falling over in the driveway or at a stoplight.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Yep. It's like when we debated motorcycle safety and equipment. Several had examples of people who died from falling over in the driveway or at a stoplight.
    Just like everyone has a friend, that has a brother, that has a friend that has an uncle that has a neighbor that has a cousin that had a deceased brother that knew someone that was shot in the index finger with a 25 auto that dropped dead.

Boolit Master
    The DEEPER the hole, the BIGGER the hole, the BETTER the hole… It ain’t rocket science.
    You’re job is to put the hole where it matters.
    “It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”.... Mark Twain

Boolit Grand Master

Cainttype;
    Truer words were never spoken!

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cainttype View Post
    The DEEPER the hole, the BIGGER the hole, the BETTER the hole… It ain’t rocket science.
    You’re job is to put the hole where it matters.
    Is this anything new.
    I was hoping for an Epiphany.

Boolit Master
    Is this anything new.
    I was hoping for an Epiphany.
    If it’s too complicated for you, perhaps you should watch the video you attempted to disparage earlier as being too “long”… You obviously have the time to waste.
    “It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”.... Mark Twain

Boolit Master
    If it’s too complicated for you, perhaps you should watch the video you attempted to disparage earlier as being too “long”… You obviously have the time to waste.
    If you can tell me if the video reveals an Epiphany I will watch. While I did not watch ALL of it I watched enough of it but must have missed the Epiphany
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 10-22-2021 at 02:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'm glad I didn't watch the whole thing, just a very few minutes of it.
    Yes, it was long.
    Only a few minutes of it. It is where you hit them and what you destroy. I didn't know that.
    What say you OP?
    If you can tell me if the video reveals an Epiphany I will watch. While I did not watch ALL of it I watched enough of it but must have missed the Epiphany
    You seem very confused, or very trollish… It doesn’t matter to me.
    I figured I’d quote you before you had the opportunity to run back and erase your posts like you did the first time you were identified as acting like a troll (Posts 44, 46… 50 was after you erased a dozen useless disparaging posts but couldn’t resist the urge to return and be “special”).

Your general wannabe soapbox trollish behavior belies the fact that there are NEW shooters joining the sport/hobby every day, and most of them will be asking questions many experienced shooters formed opinions on decades ago.
    You’ve had the opportunity to offer constructive input here for months, but you chose to simply disparage the thread and troll decent members for trying to help.

You wasting your time is nothing to me, but me wasting my time on you is too boring.
    I’m solving the issue by putting you on “IGNORE” from now on so I can avoid the drivel you attempt to pass off as intelligent conversation.

Boolit Master

You seem very confused, or very trollish… It doesn’t matter to me.
    I figured I’d quote you before you had the opportunity to run back and erase your posts like you did the first time you were identified as acting like a troll (Posts 44, 46… 50 was after you erased a dozen useless disparaging posts but couldn’t resist the urge to return and be “special”).

Your general wannabe soapbox trollish behavior belies the fact that there are NEW shooters joining the sport/hobby every day, and most of them will be asking questions many experienced shooters formed opinions on decades ago.
    You’ve had the opportunity to offer constructive input here for months, but you chose to simply disparage the thread and troll decent members for trying to help.

You wasting your time is nothing to me, but me wasting my time on you is too boring.
    I’m solving the issue by putting you on “IGNORE” from now on so I can avoid the drivel you attempt to pass off as intelligent conversation.
    Bravo!

What cainttype said!
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Master
    The video was simple. Several large holes that penetrate all the way through kill faster than one small hole that does not penetrate all the way through. The fewer and smaller the holes, the slower they bleed out.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678