MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 308 Win. Success with Lee 312-155 cast boolits

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico

308 Win. Success with Lee 312-155 cast boolits

308 Win. , Remington 700, heavy barrel rifle, Lee 312-155-2r cast boolits, powder coated, gas checked,( weight after checked and PC is 163 grains) CCI 200 primer, 40.0 grains IMR 4895.
    Distance was 465 yards, laser range finder checked, when I did my part it rang the 8” plate with authority! My friend whose place we were shooting, asked,” a cast lead bullet.” You’re gonna shoot that far with a cast lead bullet? Yes, yes I am, gonna shoot that far with a cast boolit!!! When all said and done, he was convinced that lead bullets are just as capable as jacketed bullets!
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, no video it didn’t happen, but I’m trying to load this videos now.
    I love this hobby! More results later after more shooting.

I forgot to add these were sized to .310” and col was 2.80” if I remember correctly! Important details for sure! Sorry about that, guys.

Oh, by the way, I didn’t have much luck at 950 yards!! Lol
    Last edited by Budzilla 19; 07-10-2021 at 10:32 PM.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Budzilla, Way to go! Did you size the boolets?

Boolit Master
    Nice. How deep did you have to seat them?

Boolit Master

tigweldit, i sized them to .310”. charlie b I seated them to the “ crimp Groove”? I like this boolit, by the way! Once I figured my hold over, it was bang,ding! Like clockwork
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    I also like this boolet in my .308. It has the nose for the chamber length and bore. It didn't work in my Krag as well as the 312-160-2R, I guess due to the difference in nose profile.

Boolit Master
    Longer ranges.

Some bullets will do ok when going through transition to subsonic and others won't. Then there is the rainbow trajectory to consider. The times I tried longer ranges I had to pick an aimpoint on the hill way above the target. It was enough to hit a 5ft square area. If I can't put the bullets on a sheet of paper I lose interest.

Boolit Master

Charlie b , I ran out of elevation on my Leupold scope, so I just was winging it at 950 yards!!!! I got close, but, it was a heck of a holdover!!! Switched over to Sierra 168 Matchkings, in match loaded ammo, but, in the end, it was late in the day, and I was kinda tired as we had been bangin and clanging for a while!! That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! So, backed up to 240 yards, banged a few more, and when the rain started it was a mad scramble to get in the house. Guys, I appreciate your comments! I’m still learning after all these years about casting, and accuracy with lead! And most of it I learned right here!

Boolit Master
    what size groups at 100 yds ???????

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Ha wow that's over 1/4 mile!
    Bang!----Ping!

That's some good shooting!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Yep, you have time to get the scope back and watch the impact

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use this bullet in charges heavy enough to cycle M1 Garand, 36-38 grains of 4895, 4064, RL15 or Varget, approximating. 30-30 velocity and grouping is as good or better than military Ball M2 back to 300 yards. Use 200 yard sight dope for 100, 300 yard dope for 200, etc.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I've got a favorite "off-hand" gong I made from a farm disk. It's about 16", and too easy for 100 yds, and even pretty easy off-hand at 200. This is for un-scoped military rifles like my Nazi Mauser, and the SKS's. 300 yds is when it starts getting interesting, (at least for me). I love that I can shoot off-hand, that far, with no scope at something about the same size as the vittles of an elk, and regularly smack it.

Our cast bullets are made for stuff like that. Here's a pic of Grandotta #1 banging the gong at 200 yards, pretty regular. Shooting paper wouldn't hold anybodies interest for very long doing this, but that satisfying "KAFLANGGGG" keeps the kids going till their shoulders are sore. jd

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2894.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	285936
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    308 Win. , Remington 700, heavy barrel rifle, Lee 312-155-2r cast boolits, powder coated, gas checked,( weight after checked and PC is 163 grains) CCI 200 primer, 40.0 grains IMR 4895.
    Distance was 465 yards, laser range finder checked, when I did my part it rang the 8” plate with authority! My friend whose place we were shooting, asked,” a cast lead bullet.” You’re gonna shoot that far with a cast lead bullet? Yes, yes I am, gonna shoot that far with a cast boolit!!! When all said and done, he was convinced that lead bullets are just as capable as jacketed bullets!
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, no video it didn’t happen, but I’m trying to load this videos now.
    I love this hobby! More results later after more shooting.

I forgot to add these were sized to .310” and col was 2.80” if I remember correctly! Important details for sure! Sorry about that, guys.

Oh, by the way, I didn’t have much luck at 950 yards!! Lol
    Sounds like a good load (1.5 MOA) and some good shooting...well done.

Most people could not hit 8" target at nearly 500 yards unless shooting off a bench and would need a dead calm wind to do it even with jacketed bullets. IIRC, shooting the 175 gr Sierra MatchKing in full load .308's, wind drift is about 20" at 500 yards with a 10 mph cross wind.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

dverna, thank you,sir! We were shooting from a bench,and it was fairly calm across the lake we were at. turtlezx, I’ve never shot these loads for group at 100 yards. Or, for that matter, never chronographed them either! I’m still working on video loading, so when it comes, I’ll post it for y’all!!

Boolit Master
    I just found that mold new in box in a bunch of reloading stuff I put up when I got sick. I think I'll give it a go in 30-06 and 7.62x39. I sold my FR-8 when I was sick.

Boolit Master

jim147,, I have a friend who loads this boolit in 7.62x39, in a bolt gun, he’s ringing the 300 meter gong regularly! In 30/06, I’ve loaded this boolit to maximum loads before. Never shot it over 150 meters, but it hit that 8” gong with power for sure!!! I’m going to shoot the 465 yard gong with my old Remington 700, ( y’all notice a trend here in my choice of bolt gun?) chambered in 30/06, next time I go there to shoot. Couple years ago, I acquired a substantial amount of Scot Brigadier 4831
    So I figured I’d burn up some of it in some cast boolit loads! Good luck to you with that ‘06.

Boolit Master

If it will load, I got the video.

Boolit Master

Let’s try that again! Well, dang it, still can’t get this video to load!! Guess I’m stupid when it comes to this I pad!! I’m going to try later. Sorry, guys, I really wanted y’all to see that hit!!

Boolit Master

Update on this thread!! I went to the range today, same rifle as listed in post #1, but I scrubbed the fire out of that bore, two fouling shots and then shot this group at 75 yards! We are making progress! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3554EC31-2555-473A-87EC-9D7063DC0BBD.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	295939

Boolit Master
    I am going to have to try these again in my son’s.308 700. Before I had half of them sticking before I could get the bolt closed and there were groove marks on the bullets I got pulled out.

I pc’d and seated to the crimp groove as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast