MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to me SKS came home the other day.

Here's the "drill and tap" scope mount that I created for my Norinco SKS. Made from bent angle bed frame stock. Every landfill has them. It sits just high enough to allow rifle disassembly without dismounting the scope or mount. It is completely solid and with countersink screws that re-locate it if I do remove it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finished scope mount with scope 003 copy.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	217.9 KB 
ID:	286245

I've also got a folder stock with a cheek riser to drop this rifle into which puts my eye on level with the scope. Something to think about if you put a scope on one of these rifles.

Name:	2013-06-20 008 copy.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	286247
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    Sks is definitely one of my favorites. It's just fun to shoot. Ammo is cheap and it will eat anything stuffed in to it. To shrink your groups replace the front sight with a smaller one. Midway has 3 sized ones( they look like a ball sitting on top of a stick) I used the middle one and my groups were cut in half.the factory sight is just too big for any kind of precision

Boolit Grand Master

I remember selling these to every farmer in the county for $79.95 and never thought to keep a couple. Same with the russian revolvers. I did think the Yugo's were dandy truck rifles and deadly shooterd with cast.

Name:	DSCN0179.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	286275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0167.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	286276 funny jim, I understand what you mean about the large front sight, but take a look at these 50 yd. groups. On the double target, I'm referring to the one on the right. Btw, my SKS is entirely "as issued" and the loads on the target would not eject.

Edit: I should add that finding the proper CB design and diameter was the bigger problem for me than the sight. As you may have noticed, I was using the Lee ~175gr. CB for the 8mm Mauser sized to .316" to suit my Type 56 SKS. However, the C.E. Harris designed ~160gr. CB that I got from NOE (target #1) is as accurate and much easier to site down to .316". One more thing, those were test targets. I've done much better with the issued sights, but don't have pics to post.
    Last edited by Maven; 07-18-2021 at 05:51 PM.

As seen, an over bore scope must be short tubed to avoid being pummeled by ejecting brass. DG, yours is the best looking that I believe an SKS can get-and I bet that is soft shooting.
    Hoodat- was the side of the receiver hard to drill? One of mine sure was( broken tap;argh).

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Hoodat- was the side of the receiver hard to drill? One of mine sure was( broken tap;argh).
    I got a brand new bit, and tap from Track of the Wolf to do it. Was kind of worried about it but it wasn't that bad. I was careful. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    I remember selling these to every farmer in the county for $79.95 and never thought to keep a couple. Same with the russian revolvers. I did think the Yugo's were dandy truck rifles and deadly shooterd with cast.
    Yep, I remember pallets of them in the gunshops. I should have bought one too.

Banned

still remember a gun shop here that had a basket full of them for 59 bucks each. I was to stupid to by one.

Boolit Master

I have one of the chinese made ones that were the rage of the 90s ?? well whenever SKSs were the rage.

Have no idea how it shoots shot 4 shots with AA1680 and Hornady 130 grain SSP bullets back then and it is taken out and cleaned once in a while, but has not been shot since.

Keep saying I am going to sell it, but never get around to it. Probably won't!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    still remember a gun shop here that had a basket full of them for 59 bucks each. I was to stupid to by one.
    Lloyd,

In 1992 or 1993, on payday, I went into a gun shop and got 5 NEW SKS arms for $90 each with sling, cleaning kit, chest pouch, etc. They are the best farm guns a farmer could have.

I swapped a few off for farm equipment I needed. The coyotes continue to suffer....

Adam

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Texas,

Yessir! My mistake: I meant to say Elevation adjustment is possible by screwing the front sight up and down. Windage is easily adjusted with a pusher-type screw gizmo. (Gently).

At the range last month a "hammer mechanic" did use a hammer on his SKS front sight to adjust windage and broke it off! You cannot fix stupid.

Sorry for the mistake.

Be Well.

Adam
    This might be a good place to discuss those front sight adjustments. I purchased a good quality front sight adjustment tool and headed for the range. The gun was shooing slightly to one side, so I whipped out my tool and began moving the sight over.

Huh..........the tool actually bent and the sight never moved. The Chinese must push those things in with a 100 ton press! I finally went to our local Ace Hardware and bought a metric bolt that matched the tool and replaced the adjustment screw with the bolt. To adjust, I use a small Crescent wrench to put force on the sight........then whop it with a small hammer. The impact will move the sight over and allow you to adjust the sights.

So, the next time you see some guy using a hammer on his SKS, he may have already figured this out!

Boolit Master
    have 1 for cast and 1 for js both scoped
    shoot to a diferent poa between the 2 bullets about 9" apart at 100yds

Boolit Master

Before AR's became ubiquitous, I used my first sks to teach my daughter how to operate a rifle. I turned it into a "bolt action" by removing the op rod on the recommendation of a gun writer at the time. Super soft shooting, and she just had to pull the bolt back and let it go to chamber another. Short length of pull was perfect. I foolishly bought her a Contender in 30/30 for her first deer gun instead of just letting her shoot the sks with some quality bullets. The recoil difference was too much and she ended up deciding to wait a couple years before trying it again.

It also shot lead bullets quite well, and I developed loads that cycled the action for the two .30 cal molds I had at the time, the Lee 93 gr .312 pistol mold and the Lee 170 gr .310 gas checked 30/30 mold. No leading either. Blasting ammo was $2 or less per 20 round box and I introduced several people to shooting a semi-auto using that gun, also loaning it as a deer rifle to others who had none. Since it cost me $89 plus tax in 1992, I wasn't too worried.

Since then I bought several, sold a couple, and they all work perfectly. I bought an AK clone in the mid-90's and within a few days came to the conclusion that the sks was a much better gun in almost every way, and I haven't changed that opinion.

Now-days I mostly play with my AR's but I'm not getting rid of my sks's any time soon.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12