Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me SKS came home the other day.

Boolit Master

New to me SKS came home the other day.

I recently had sold 9 of my competition ML's, since having 3 strokes in one day left me unable to stand without crutches, and I shot mainly offhand, prone chunk and cross sticks. I have my right side 70% paralyzed, but I can still see good, and my hand/eye coordination is still good. Feeling flush with my newfound$$, I decided to invest some of my money in a great condition SKS at a nearby LGS, that only deals in high end stuff. They also buy estate collections and have some ugly ducklings from time to time. The cheapest SKS I had seen in these parts for well over a year, had been $550, I got this one with cleaning rod and spike bayonet, sling for $450 out the door. I got it home, dropped in some wolf ammo, and shot it at 100yds. It shot low, I moved it up 2 notches and it was dead on and hit my 4x6"clanger 4 times in a row rested. I forgot how much I like these old rifles. This one may be used for Ranger patrol in my side by side for the occasional groundhog or coyote.

Glad to hear you're staying in the game. A side by side and a SKS will go good together. Happy clanging. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    koger,

My SKS and Blue Heeler ride all the time in my side by side Ranger here on the farm. As you probably know, you can adjust Elevation by moving the front sight up or down.

Be well.

Adam
    Last edited by Adam Helmer; 07-17-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good to hear you are still in the game! KBO. Williams makes a fiber optic set I have seen on SKS's. No alteration to the rifle. Replaces the rear sight with a peep and the front with a fiber optic. Absolutely fantastic and ! quick !! Still adjustable. Whatever you do with the SKS, have fun and keep it warm.

I absolutely love my SKS. I can't say it's the best rifle I own, but dang, it's a ton of fun to shoot!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master

I would like to get one of the recently imported Chicom models. I had a Yugo (with the grenade launcher mount on the muzzle) when I was 18. Think I paid $229. Sold it regrettably. I have a Norinko side folder I bought privately maybe 10 years ago for $350. They are great guns. More accurate, in my experience than their AK counterparts.

Same here. An SKS is much more of a rifle than is an AK, which is basically just a bullet dispensing machine. An SKS is one of those rifles that is just about right for a sporter the way it comes, but they can be customized. By the way, every now and then someone is looking for SKS stripper clips. I see that J& G Sales is offering them new in packs of 20 at a reasonable price.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM004744.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	285889

DG

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    I recently had sold 9 of my competition ML's, since having 3 strokes in one day left me unable to stand without crutches, and I shot mainly offhand, prone chunk and cross sticks. I have my right side 70% paralyzed, but I can still see good, and my hand/eye coordination is still good. Feeling flush with my newfound$$, I decided to invest some of my money in a great condition SKS at a nearby LGS, that only deals in high end stuff. They also buy estate collections and have some ugly ducklings from time to time. The cheapest SKS I had seen in these parts for well over a year, had been $550, I got this one with cleaning rod and spike bayonet, sling for $450 out the door. I got it home, dropped in some wolf ammo, and shot it at 100yds. It shot low, I moved it up 2 notches and it was dead on and hit my 4x6"clanger 4 times in a row rested. I forgot how much I like these old rifles. This one may be used for Ranger patrol in my side by side for the occasional groundhog or coyote.
    Sorry to hear about your strokes. Wish you the best. And sounds like you got a good SKS. I sold mine years ago that I bought from a guy in Burkesville, Ky.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Banned

In the mid 90s, I bought a Chinese one I'm pretty sure was brand new for about 90 bucks. It was really not the kind of thing I was into then, even less so now, but it was a surprisingly good shooter with cast and jacketed and as reliable as the son. Stock is way too short for most American men, sights are crude, trigger was pretty awful, but it shot way better than it had a right to. A guy could do a lot worse.

Good on you for staying in the game, strokes are scary things. I hope you recover quickly.

After thinking about it for just a bit, I realized that the SKS is my favorite Russian designed gun of all that I've tried. I like it much more than the AK or Moisin Nagant. At over 6 feet tall, I never liked the short stock and the sights are,well,...Russian. But they are still shootable and never jam.
    I removed the cleaning rod and bayonet from every one I owned, also.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I've got three SKS's, two Tula Russians, and a bubbafied Norinco with a folding stock shortened barrel and fixed to
    receiver scope mount.

This pick is of my favorite, one of the KBI Russian imports with all accessories. Pretty cool little package. Rifle has been refurbed and stored by Russian armories, then sold to the importer. This one is a 1954 Tula.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3933 copy.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	285941

Kits like these probably retailed for $199.95. Chinese rifles used to come in at $99.95, with a spam can full of ammo. Back in those days I thought they were junk, and wanted no part of them. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

The SKS has been reborn up here with new pricing as well. Gone are the days....

That said it seems we are getting fewer and fewer "nice" SKS's imported. Fortunately the use market here is active. Mine is a Russian and I may pick up a Chinese SKS to add to the fun. They are the ultimate "truck" gun. With a little TLC they can become useful campanions.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    I wish you all the best. It is nice you are able to stay in the game, so to speak. I like the little SKS. I think it is a great little gun. It used to be cheap to shoot before the pandemic and the ammo shortages. But even at present the 7.62x47 ammo is still not terribly expensive albeit it has gone up quite a bit in cost. I put a pistol scope on my example.

Boolit Master
    I think you'd be hard pressed to get a better rifle than an SKS. More tacticool, yes. More modular, yes. More modern, certainly. A rifle that could be drug through the dirt, thrown behind the seat of the truck, fed any ammo that is available, badly neglected and then called upon to dispatch vermin....I can't think of anything better.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    koger,

My SKS and Blue Heeler ride all the time in my side by side Ranger here on the farm. As you probably know, you can adjust windage by moving the front sight up or down.

Be well.

Adam
    Adam, don't you mean that you can adjust windage by drifting the front sight with the SKS/AK front sight tool( or a punch and hammer?)
    My late brother had this one and it now belongs to my sister. It has scope mount bosses on the dust cover and set screws.
    We clobbered an old Kwik Site Win 94 mount to fit it and it has held zero. Jim killed several hogs with it using the cheap Wolf hp ammo. When he got it from a friend, it was equipped
    With the ( dumb to me) Tapco 30 round AK type mag- so I found an original magazine and reconverted it. I don't like the side mount scope- but it's not my gun so it stays.
    The last time I shot it, it put 3 of the Wolf hp inside a Copenhagen lid at 100 yards.

The SKS is like a lot of WW11 vintage rifles. Put a scope on them and you find out they are shooters.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Adam, don't you mean that you can adjust windage by drifting the front sight with the SKS/AK front sight tool( or a punch and hammer?)
    My late brother had this one and it now belongs to my sister. It has scope mount bosses on the dust cover and set screws.
    We clobbered an old Kwik Site Win 94 mount to fit it and it has held zero. Jim killed several hogs with it using the cheap Wolf hp ammo. When he got it from a friend, it was equipped
    With the ( dumb to me) Tapco 30 round AK type mag- so I found an original magazine and reconverted it. I don't like the side mount scope- but it's not my gun so it stays.
    The last time I shot it, it put 3 of the Wolf hp inside a Copenhagen lid at 100 yards.

Texas,

Yessir! My mistake: I meant to say Elevation adjustment is possible by screwing the front sight up and down. Windage is easily adjusted with a pusher-type screw gizmo. (Gently).

At the range last month a "hammer mechanic" did use a hammer on his SKS front sight to adjust windage and broke it off! You cannot fix stupid.

Sorry for the mistake.

Be Well.

Adam
    Last edited by Adam Helmer; 07-16-2021 at 11:43 AM.

Been there done that Adam. I made a wooden jig with a hole for a brass punch to move the front sight on my second SKS way back in the 80s- after hitting it pretty hard with it secured in a vise- it still didn't want to move. So I coughed up the money for the sight pusher tool and voila- it moved!
    I always thought that a reciever sight that would mount with the takedown pin removed would be a great addition- but then the barrel sight would have to be ground down.
    Remember the plastic replacement front sight posts that came in different colors?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Been there done that Adam. I made a wooden jig with a hole for a brass punch to move the front sight on my second SKS way back in the 80s- after hitting it pretty hard with it secured in a vise- it still didn't want to move. So I coughed up the money for the sight pusher tool and voila- it moved!
    I always thought that a reciever sight that would mount with the takedown pin removed would be a great addition- but then the barrel sight would have to be ground down.
    Remember the plastic replacement front sight posts that came in different colors?

Texas,

Yessir, I recall the colored plastic front sight posts and have a half dozen in assorted colors somewhere in my stash.

Adam

Once upon a time, I ran into several SKS' (some Russian; some Chinese) in excellent condition for sale @ $99 on the wall behind the counter of a Maine convenience store/market while I was up there deer hunting (go figure).

I bought 2 of those Russian "poor man's .30-30's" and gifted them to family members who couldn't afford a "deer rifle".

They were pretty accurate when I test fired them, and only needed 5-shot magazines to make them legal for hunting there.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast