Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Must be living right, new .357 lever action today.

Boolit Master

Must be living right, new .357 lever action today.

Earlier this spring, I had traded into a Rossi 92 in .44 mag, and a .45LC also. Both worked slick, shot great, no issues at all. A LGS had a .357 92 just like my other 2, 20" barrels. I had seen it sitting there for 4 weeks, but did not act too interested. I had asked the dealer about it 3 weeks ago, but did not really have the dinero. In the past 3 weeks, though, I had sold 9 of my competition ML's so I was flush with newfound cash. I looked it over, offered him $50 less than he had it priced, which was not a bad price to begin with. He said pay me, it has been a slow week. I got it home, and tried some +P. 38's and .357's and son of a gun, it worked slicker than either one of the other 2 did. I worked the lever very slow, to try to get it to hiccup, no problem, it ejected a shell over my shoulder about4 feet away with a ping. This concludes my sets, of 3 Identical rifle/revolver combos. I guess the third time is the charm. I think Rossi has came a long way with their QC, and I have not experienced any of the issues that others have posted about.

I do not own any Rossi at the this time. I got into putting peep sights on my rifles at one time so I am more of a Marlin man. But I have had two Rossi rifles. Both never any problems. Now I am on the look out for another one. I believe I want this one in .357. Congratulations on the new rifle.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Im glad you.got a good one. My 92 from last year took A LOT of work to get running properly. It was the worst machining I have ever seen on a firearm.

Boolit Bub

+1 to what badguybuster said. Mine was and still is a ***.

Boolit Master

I have two; 357 with a heavy hex barrel and a 44-40 ss long barrel that's one of the nicest lever action rifles I've ever owned. Both are very good, but I favor the 44-40.

Congrates! But your set is not complete, until you get one in 44-40! I've had mine for over 20 years and not one hiccup have I had with it.

While my late purchase 1894C 18.5” .357 micro groove is not a 92 action, the versatility of a 357 lever rifle is huge. Currently it’s mostly shooting 2.8 grains bullseye behind Lee’s 125 gr. RF bullet in a 38 special case for cowboy action. A 6 year old could shoot that round. This gun also loves lymans 358430 195 grain unsized. With the primer being the most expensive component, one can sometimes shoot this gun cheaper than 22LR with a cast bullet.

Boolit Master
    rossi has gone through many changes through the years with several different importers to the USA. at first I guess they stared out making inexpensive copies of the winny 92 , ive got an early example of a 357, it shoots and operates perfect every time out but is a bit picky as to OAL and bullet nose design. then I guess they came out with the puma with cast cat head emblem. much better fit and finish than the early 92's, another perfect operating rifle with a bit of bling, then I guess it was all about making cheap winchester copies till the interest in CASS picked up and they brought in Steve Gunz to help them figure ways to slick up the guns in the factory, the Hartford built by rossi I guess was the result, mine in 45 colt is one of my favorite lever actions, very nice fit and finish, this thing is smooth running and piles up brass in a very small footprint just a couple feet away from shooter no matter how the lever is levered and is pretty darn accurate for a 45 colt the most current Rossi's are the result of what they have learned through the years and most reports on new Rossis are pretty good.
    I would much rather have a new rossi with the bolt top safety than a late model marlin with barrel droop.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Congratulations Koger .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

I've had 3 rossi's, of different importers. All have worked well for Me. They were the rifle of choice when I started Cowboy Shooting in the late 1980's. I consider it very odd that I've heard so many more complaints about them here. Then I ever heard from Cowboy Shooters. But then in the 1990's there were probably a dozen good Cowboy Gunsmiths in SoCal. Most folks who bought them got a $75 action job and loading info to start with.
    They are good guns. Ya just gotta know how to treat them and feed them.
    I kept the .44-40 Rifle imported under the EMF label. It works flawlessly. All it ever needed was a strip down, good cleaning and removal of a couple of burrs.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats on the new Rossi. A lighter extractor spring will stop the empties from trying to reach a low earth orbit. Both of mine have extractor springs from Stevesgunz. It made a huge difference.

Congratulations, I bought the same rifle 3 weeks ago and love it!
    Endeavor to persevere

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCcactus View Post
    Congrats on the new Rossi. A lighter extractor spring will stop the empties from trying to reach a low earth orbit. Both of mine have extractor springs from Stevesgunz. It made a huge difference.
    I went with the Harbor Freight spring for mine. Now the ejection is perfect.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Still kicking myself for passing up a cherry Interarms 92 for $300.00 a couple of years ago. You live and learn I 'spose.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    had my win 357 94ae since 97 ,accurate fun to shoot and loves cast boolits .mine shoots 190gn best.

Boolit Grand Master
    My 357 Rossi came from Navy Arms. Very accurate, but have to jiggle the lever a few times to get a round to feed in 357 mag, 38 special are a bit easier to feed.

Boolit Bub
    I have 2 x 357 rossi 20" bought in last 12 months. Both run perfectly with any length 38 or 357, even wadcutters just seated out in the 38 to about 1.42" COAL.
    The first was rough though- sharp load gate edges, bevel in start of mag tube making loading tough and shaving bullet noses , lifter had pitted surface( looked like a reject), extractor beating up case rims. Worth noting it still digested and fired all ammo perfectly so I gave it to a smith to polish up. The second was a lot nicer internally from the get go.

A hardware store or Ebay Century C-530 spring replacing the stock ejector spring will solve the problem of cases flying into the next zip code.

Watching Youtube videos allowed even a non mechanically inclined person like me to replace it.

Peening the sharp edges of the loading area with the upper portion of a drill bit makes it more user friendly.