RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pit Bulls Killed My Cat

Boolit Master

DougGuy,
    Sorry for your loss. Whether we have them for a week or 10+ yrs, they grab your heart and stay.
    I live in a small SoCal city, we have coyotes. My Daughters cat is allowed out between 0800-1700hrs. I've found their fresh scat some mornings in my backyard. Completely fenced/walled. We also have opossums and raccoons. I've disposed of one yote.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Yes. Losing a pet is tough. I'm sorry that you lost your cat.

Vendor Sponsor

I have been in this house 3+yrs and I have not seen these two dogs before. Either they got out by accident and went roaming, or a new drug dealer moved in somewhere up the street and let them out for a stroll. If that's the case I am sure this is only one of many incidents to come.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

That’s why you need to file a report…

Boolit Grand Master
    Very sorry for your loss.I to am a cat lover.
    I like all animals.
    It's bad owner I have a problem with.
    I would also hunt the two dogs down.
    No telling what they would do to a infant.

Boolit Master
    Thinking about it,there have been a lot of dog attack deaths here of late ......even a couple of dog owners /carers killed by their own dogs.....pit bulls are not allowed in this state,so they are being attacked by other breeds of dogs.

For some reason this got me to thinking about people with live stock and the trouble they have with predators. People living in an urban environment can easily understand the loss of cat to a neighbors dog but don't always understand a farmer pulling the trigger protecting their dogs, horses etc. from anything to big cats to bears.

It's a heartbreaking experience wherever you live and want to lift up Doug for his loss.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Newboy View Post
    So, someone who allows their cat to roam the neighborhood is complaining about his neighbor allowing their dog to roam the neighborhood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Interesting. Not sure if my comparison would get my intended point across so will leave I at that. Can usually judge a person by how they treat animals, especially ones much more helpless than they are.

Boolit Master
    As long as I can remember there have been irresponsible pet owners, (believe it or not I got the worst dog bite I've ever had from a 6lb jack russell, ripped tendon from back of knee while walking down the street and it was on a leash) Farm dogs are notorious for doing their job, as a field mechanic I often recieved bites from farm collies and blue healer types. I dont think hunting the dogs down would be a good idea, however being ready for the next visit would certainly be my goal, any animal that doesnt stay home is a nusance to someone, be it cat ,dog, goat,pig or cow,you havent done nothing till you have to get a 1800lb enraged bull out of cement swimming pool after he walked across the wet lawn, poked his feet thru the ground level ceder decking and then fell in the pool!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Very sorry to hear that Doug . . . . but remember that if you had been there, they could very easily have gone after you as well.

Sorry . . . and this will irritate some I'm sure . . . but Pit Bulls are nothing but trouble waiting to happen. That day it was yours beloved kitty . . . . what if it had been a small child playing alone in the yard? Most states and localities have ordinances about dogs being able to run loose and supposed to be under control - whether it be a Poodle or a Pit Bull. Makes you wonder if the dogs are licensed - up to date on shots, etc. If the owner let's these dogs roam loose - he has no control over their actions and worse yet, no respect for their neighbors, no regard for the safety of their children nor their pets. Without getting yourself in trouble, you really need to pursue this and make sure that they understand that his Pit Bulls roaming will not be tolerated and they need to have that made very clear by animal control / LE.

You said something that needs to be paid attention to - they killed your cat for the sport of it . . . . . those dogs will not differentiate between a cat or a small child. Sorry, but those dogs need to be destroyed. There is a reason why many Insurance companies will not issue Home Owners or Renter's Insurance if there is a Pit Bull on the premises. We have dogs and love them - love cats as well . . . but our dogs belong to us and it is OUR REAPONSIBILITY to see that they are taken care of, confined and that they do not show aggressive behavior = whether towards other animals or humans. No different than when we had cattle - our responsibility to keep them confined - they get out and cause damage or an accident - it was on us.

Again - very sorry for your loss Doug. Many years ago, when I worked Ambulance and Fire Rescue - I vividly remember two different calls we took that involved Pit Bulls and children it wasn't pleasant and both incidents were as a result of owners who were idiots.

Boolit Master
    A few years back there was a father and son garage. Both had pit bulls. The fathers dog was the sire of the sons dog and was so wild he could not be around anyone except the father or son. The sons dog seemed fine until one day it bit the child of a customer. The parents were friends and did not make problems for the owner who paid the hospital bill. A couple of years later the dog again bit a young child that was with parents having their car worked on. Again the hospital bills were paid by the dog owner and the owner still insisted the dog wasn't mean and that the child must have done something to provoke the dog. The son gets married and has a child. Mom and the baby are at home with the dog and the baby on the the floor in the living room when the dog attacks the baby. Moms gets the baby away from the dog but the dog then attacks her.

End of story is the baby died, mom was chewed up and the son finally figured out the dog had a mean streak. Some folks are slow learners.

Have a friend with a pit bull that was as nice a dog to people as you could want.His kids and ours would play with and pester the dog to no end. When the dog got tired of being harassed in would go hide behind the couch. The same dog would kill any other dog or small animal it could get hold of.

People that have mean dogs and say they don't see it in the dog are not paying attention or just lying. The liability of owning an aggressive dog is way to high for me.
    Last edited by rbuck351; 07-11-2021 at 10:35 AM.

Boolit Master
    Sorry, Doug.
    We have a couple of strays that took us on years ago and have convinced me that cat are cool, rewarding animals.
    Keep the pressure on animal control for multiple daily patrols. Use emails that suggest it is just a matter of time until a child is killed. Copy to the County Commissioners.
    Also get a battery operated coyote caller that has the distressed kitten call. Play it when you are on the ready. Smoke em!
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Banned

There's a big, excellent animal shelter in Topeka that was right around the corner when we lived there. Seems like the only dogs ever in there for adoption are pit bulls and pitbull mixes and they always have to put the disclaimers that there are special considerations for adopting one (I'm sure it's home owner's insurance and other warnings).

It's a shame that it's so popular to want a big, vicious dog, it only makes the disreputable breeders more energetic and makes the problem worse.

Boolit Master
    Doug,, you have been a good friend to many, many people on this Forum & others. Your services are highly respected, BECAUSE you are a good person.
    So when I see all these posts,, know that many, many people feel your heartache & share your grief on some level.

I have followed the story of "Mittens" & "Gracie" with a lot of smiles,, because the good folks here appreciate the compassion most of the members here share.

Your love & compassion for this little stray,, while brief compared to life-long furry companions many of us enjoy,, is just another reflection of how good you are.

So I know I share the heartache sentiment so many others have shared with you.

You can't change what has already happened,, but you can possibly affect the future. Situational awareness,, and being prepared for any future encounters with these (2) dogs is necessary. NC law does make the owner(s) responsible for a dog's actions when it leaves the owners property. You apparently are already well educated in the laws here, by previous posts.
    Use the law,, and also use common sense. Handle as necessary. And I know most of us here support your actions. If we never hear anything else,, yet the problem ceases in your neighborhood,, all well & good.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    That’s why you need to file a report…
    An official report was filed with the Animal Control officers.

Many Thanks to the messages of support, you guys have a heart too! I can't go out and actively hunt the dogs with malicious intent, although I will admit to riding through the neighboring streets to see if I can determine where they live so far no sightings. If they come back around here hopefully I can entice them to come take a cool drink, you know being summer and everything they are probably thirsty...

I actually had a dream last night with these two dogs in it, a technicolor dream, and I had lured them into the basement with intent to take care of the problem but then when they got inside I noticed they were bloody all about the face and shoulders, and in the dream I called the animal control officer and told them they need to come look at this right now (3am) that this was an emergency and when he got there we both agreed they had killed something, but was it animal blood or was it human? The animal control officer called an EMS squad over and they were examining the blood to see if it was human or not, and we looked at each other knowing that pretty soon they were going to get a call of something or someone killed by these dogs, and I woke up. I hadn't remembered the dream until now.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

Like many have stated here, these kind of situations always seem to escalate to worse problems. A cat today, a child next time.

Someone mentioned Gracie, that little cat is the light of our lives right now and if someone had done something to her, I'd have had a hard time not going over there and taking it out on the owner. That owner needs a wake up call, because it won't be good or them either when those dogs do eventually commit a tragedy.

Moderator Emeritus

SSS, shoot, shovel shutup.

There is a pit roaming town, we had a meth head move into the house that is condemned(owner keeps getting a court stay on demolition). It has gone after people but is apparently gun smart. It started at me then I put my hand on my pistol and it backed off. I didn't have a good shot, it would have been into the horse pasture across the street. Sheriff is looking for it and they will kill it. Meth head moved out already after a few parents told him drug dealers don't last in this town! Left the dog behind...
    Last edited by MaryB; 07-11-2021 at 01:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    I don't know why but never did like pit bulls too much, if I wanted an attack dog I would be more inclined to get a doberman.
    soooo, are those killer dogs pushing up daisies yet? what if small children are playing in the yard? all too often people with official positions in communities don't read the signs of possible threats until its too late.
    Last edited by farmbif; 07-11-2021 at 01:17 PM. Reason: correcting auto correct

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    SSS, shoot, shovel shutup.

There is a pit roaming town, we had a meth head move into the house that is condemned(owner keeps getting a court stay on demolition). It has gone after people but is apparently gun smart. It started at me then I put my hand on my pistol and it backed off. I didn't have a good shot, it would have been into the horse pasture across the street. Sheriff is looking for it and they will kill it. Meth head moved out already after a few parents told him drug dealers don't last in this town! Left the dog behind...
    Poor dog they should be hunting the meth head.

2006 I think it was I tried let me say that a different way I tried to help a "street" girl get her life straightened out. Long story short she stole from me, stole a 2lb coffee can full of change, stole a guitar, and for that I had her arrested, the continuances lasted 6mo or so, never got the guitar back, never did hear nothing from her or the court about it. Then, some months later she called me and she says "YOU TOOK 6 MONTHS OF MY LIFE!" And I politely informed her that it was SHE who cost her own self 6 months and had she never stole from me, she would have never been in jail. Then she says "They killed my dog!" (she had this aging and sickly chihuahua mutt dog with her, I guess they figured it was in the dog's best interest to put it down, I dunno) but I had a bit of a chuckle and I told her "Damn! They got the wrong BITCH!" Never heard from her again..

Boolit Master

We have a pit puppy. She tried to mess with out cat. The cat messed her up pretty bad. She now respects cats. It was a life lesson for her. Glad she learned young. I have had to get rid of cat aggressive dogs in the past. It sad that your kitty got killed Doug. Hope the aggressive dog gets its proper dues soon.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.