MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pit Bulls Killed My Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Who told you that crap ? A Coon I would suspect or a Fox but not a cat . I have had any number of feral cats take up residence at my house over the years , none had rabies . Not all so called feral cats are afraid of humans although there are a bunch of them that they probably should be afraid of .
    70+ years of experience, my friend. I've had feral kittens adopt me, but never an adult cat.

I've had adult strays be friendly, but they were already half domesticated, just lost. Can't count those as feral. There's a huge difference.
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Time for some hamburger balls laced with antifreeze in their yard. Those dogs would be dead if it were me. Next time it could be a toddler. No use for vicious dogs, especially ones with irresponsible owners.
    Antifreeze is not deadly for dogs as it is for cats. Your plan would just take out members of the feral cat community. Now, a natural sponge 🧽 fried in bacon grease . . .

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I've had a couple adult feral cats adopt me, it takes years though. Patience, Time, food, kind words, gentleness.

One went from attacking my feet if I walked near him, guess my feet were assault feet and I didn't even know it, to greeting me by jumping into my car soon as I parked (muddy feet sometimes and all), crawling into my arms, and 'knitting' on my arm (with sabre claws, got a bit macerated there every time!) and sucking on my shirt, purring happily. Pretty sure I was his surrogate mother. Definitely was an "I missed you!" in there too. Dumped out in the woods when young, handsome Russian Blue cat.

The other we trapped in town, in January, so we called him "Mr. January"; GF and I were fostering cats at her place, I lived next door. He watched us treat the other cats nicely for 2-3 years before one morning deciding he wanted some of that; That was a good day!

When you live trap a cat if they bounce all over inside the trap trying to get away that's an indication they're feral vs. if they sit still, they were tame at one point, as a helpful hint.

My Torti is between the computer & I, soaking up attention & purring, she seems to enjoy this Calico will be baaack when she wakes up.

Boolit Grand Master

I've never paid much attention to dogs. We always had them growing up, along with cats, and a bunch of farm animals. I've never owned a house pet myself, and don't have any desire to. I never realized so many people are this against pitbulls. I can fully understand DougGuy's case, but others wanting to shoot every pitbull in your yard indiscriminately? Seriously?

This is what I think every time you guys start getting grumpy. Sorry DougGuy, this isn't directed at you, I just thought this was funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIP3wZwWJA4

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I've never paid much attention to dogs. We always had them growing up, along with cats, and a bunch of farm animals. I've never owned a house pet myself, and don't have any desire to. I never realized so many people are this against pitbulls. I can fully understand DougGuy's case, but others wanting to shoot every pitbull in your yard indiscriminately? Seriously?

This is what I think every time you guys start getting grumpy. Sorry DougGuy, this isn't directed at you, I just thought this was funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIP3wZwWJA4
    Try coming home from work one day to find 18 prime laying hens dead in a run because someone's loose dog jumped the fence and made a sport of it. Doesn't matter the breed. If a dog is out near my chicken runs... SSS.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master
    Blanket statements indicting all “Pitt Bulls” as vicious and dangerous are simply ignorant.
    Many “Pitt Bull” attacks are caused by misidentified mutts by people that wouldn’t know the difference between a Staffordshire Terrier, a Rottie mix, a Boxer mix, or an American Pitt Bull Terrier.

People-vicious dogs are all potentially dangerous, and almost ANY breed can be encouraged to be “people-vicious”… We can include most “terriers” above 10 lbs, many “working dogs” (I’ve seen Blue Healers that would attack children on sight), and every breed ever considered as a watchdogs, “Police dogs”, or “guard dogs”… German Shepherds, Dobermans,
    Belgian Malinois. etc….
    German Shepherds are, in fact, considered “The most aggressive” dog breed toward humans, although many seem to find them wonderful FAMILY companions, and child guardians.

Good owners, of good “Pitt Bulls”, can tell you with certainty that there is no finer breed in existence for a companion animal.
    The “problem” with such animals is their strength, intelligence, and physical capabilities… Such great potential turned into BAD is a recipe for disaster.
    The “Pitt Bull’s” extreme intelligence, agility, strength, loyalty, desire to please it’s owner, and fearlessness is unparalleled in the canine world… They are it’s best qualities, and it’s worse flaws when used in bad behavior.

“ALL Pitt Bulls are BAD, and should be illegal.”…
    “All guns are BAD, and should be illegal.”…
    “All Trump voters are BAD, and should be illegal”….
    Simple concepts for simple minds.
    “It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”.... Mark Twain

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I've seen with my eyes a German Shepard dog knowing how to open and close doors by manipulating the latch handle.
    A pitbull displaying that type of problem solving would be about as likely as me, running four consecutive four minute miles!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    a neighbor chow dog killed and was eating my sons pet duck... the duck was trained to eat pecans out of your hand. I drove up to see him eyeball deep in the duck!. I took my S&W 625 loaded with blacktalons, and let fly. Dog ended up missing a hind leg, and never returned. I told my neighbor what happened, he wasn't happy. they next got a female pit bull, who likes to challenge my wife. He has been put on notice that my wife has a revolver on hand at all times..............................some people!!!!.

Boolit Grand Master

The dog regardless of breed pays the price for having irresponsible owners. It's the owners fault but until it's legal to shoot the owners dogs doing damage can't be tolerated. I lost a very valuable barrel horse in the 70's due to dogs chasing animals. I could have purchased 3 new trucks with that horse but never got a dime for the fence cut horse after the dog chased thru the fence but I had to the pay vets bill a permanently crippled horse.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-12-2021 at 04:22 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    I've seen with my eyes a German Shepard dog knowing how to open and close doors by manipulating the latch handle.
    A pitbull displaying that type of problem solving would be about as likely as me, running four consecutive four minute miles!

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Having raised many breeds, and being associated with many more, I can assure you that anyone in a room with an APBT that doubts it’s intelligence potential is not the smartest individual in that room.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/ne...ty-excellence/
    An example, from The American Kennel Club…
    “It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”.... Mark Twain

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Quote Originally Posted by cainttype View Post
    “Ignorance is bliss.”

Having raised many breeds, and being associated with many more, I can assure you that anyone in a room with an APBT that doubts it’s intelligence potential is not the smartest individual in that room.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/ne...ty-excellence/
    An example, from The American Kennel Club…
    No, ignorance is not bliss.

Ignorance is a state of not knowing, which can be corrected through education.

I am glad that you have a warm heart for the animals, raise them, help them after suffering such incredible cruelty.

However that does not entitle you to belittle anybody who fails to see things your way.

I have never raised dogs, so there is much I do not know, much I could benefit by learning.

It was not my intention to hurt or offend you, or anyone with dogs.

I do know many people who have raised pitbulls, either as pets or breeding.
    I like to play with animals, I do like pitbulls, when they are properly socialized and obedience trained.

However... when you have an animal that has suffered abuse or psychological damage... you know it is the truth: they can be big, strong, quick, and cruel.

I've seen dogs go after children. I explained to the police officer who showed up, " I will make every effort to kill that dog if he does it again! "

He understood. He understood more when the neighbor would not display the dog, instead locking it inside the bathroom, to hide the unnecessarily aggressive nature of that particular animal.

I'll reiterate, my opinion is that pitbulls lack the intelligence and problem-solving of other breeds, that does not mean that I dislike them. Also, it doesn't mean that I'm right.

I could very well be wrong. It's not your job to educate me, however if you share the knowledge I'll soak it up.

Please don't conflate fact with opinion, it wil leave you empty-handed during a discussion.

Be safe.

Boolit Master
    Assuming that the APBT breed lacks the intelligence to solve simple problems, like opening doors, is an opinion based on no knowledge, what-so-ever, of the breed…. It is the definition of ignorance, which is not incurable.
    I have “a warm heart” for animals in general, and a working knowledge of dogs. My opinion on this subject is based on fact, pure and simple.

It’s an individual’s choice how he views opinions, and suggesting that the APBT lacks intelligence is nothing that anyone familiar with the breed would ever agree with.
    “Breed Prejudice” is a real thing. It’s ugly, unwarranted, and rooted in ignorance.

It is my hope not to offend, but rather to help defend.

Moderator Emeritus

There is a coydog pack roaming the area, sheriff told me to be on the lookout for it entering town(I have written permission to shoot in town, I am on coyote patrol) because they have attacked people already. Sheriff said one that was shot was a pit/coyote mix and had its jaws clamped on a horses neck! They shot it and had to pry the jaws open even after it was dead.

This is what happens when people dump dogs or let them run loose! End up with problems. There are 3 huskies that run around town that are about to be crow bait, they keep trying to get in the neighbors horse/cattle pasture. Owner was warned 3 times so no more warnings, shoot on sight...

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    That breed of dog should not exist. And should be eliminated from the face of the earth. Far too many "things" mamed/killed by that type of dog. Killing is in their blood and the owner cannot train that out.

Boolit Master
    “The AVMA or American Veterinary Medical Association conducted an in-depth literature review to analyze existing studies on dog bites and serious injuries. Their findings indicate that there is no single breed that stands out as the most dangerous.

According to their review, studies indicate breed is not a dependable marker or predictor of dangerous behavior in dogs. Better and more reliable indicators include owner behavior, training, sex, neuter status, dog’s location (urban vs. rural), and even varying ownership trends over the passing of time or geographic location.

For example, they note that often pit bull-type dogs are reported in severe and fatal attacks. However, the reason is likely not related to the breed. Instead, it is likely because they are kept in certain high-risk neighborhoods and likely owned by individuals who may use them for dog fights or have involvement in criminal or violent acts.”

Don’t let in actual facts interfere with common myth.
    The “dangerous breed” fallacy has gone from Dobermans, to shepherds, to bulldogs over the years and it will always pick a new breed when the current choice falls out of fashion.
    Less than 50 fatal dog attacks happened last year in the US, and “yes” dogs identified as “Pitt Bulls” accounted for the majority. The problem is two-fold, 1)Dogs are OFTEN mis-identified as Pitts after people are harmed, and 2)Pitts are often employed by criminals to be vicious guard animals (environment and owner), but previously Dobermans were “the most dangerous” for the EXACT same reasons.
    Just to be clear, over 19,000 deaths due to firearm misuse and/or abuse by their owners occurred in the USA last year…. If firearms were totally eliminated it’s obvious that future deaths DUE to firearms would be a non-issue…. Anybody in favor of that?

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    There is a coydog pack roaming the area, sheriff told me to be on the lookout for it entering town(I have written permission to shoot in town, I am on coyote patrol) because they have attacked people already. Sheriff said one that was shot was a pit/coyote mix and had its jaws clamped on a horses neck! They shot it and had to pry the jaws open even after it was dead.

This is what happens when people dump dogs or let them run loose! End up with problems. There are 3 huskies that run around town that are about to be crow bait, they keep trying to get in the neighbors horse/cattle pasture. Owner was warned 3 times so no more warnings, shoot on sight...
    That will become a major problem when TSHTF so to speak because people will turn dogs out to roam for food because they can no longer feed them.
    We will have to shoot and kill these packs whither we like it or not.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by cainttype View Post
    “The AVMA or American Veterinary Medical Association conducted an in-depth literature review to analyze existing studies on dog bites and serious injuries. Their findings indicate that there is no single breed that stands out as the most dangerous.
    You are missing a HUGE part of why the PB is a dangerous dog. Thugs, teen aged drug dealers, highly favor the PB to go along with that "grille" they get stuck in their mouths, and those pants worn below the buttocks, the cars with 30" wheels with subs rattling the bolts out of the fenders. They "train" the pits with cats for bait animals. It's THAT culture, if you can call it culture, that makes the PB a dangerous dog. A young black male totes a pit or a pair of pits for "status" among his peers. The dogs are nothing but an ornament.

I suspect the two pits that killed my cat already knew what to do and I suspect their owner matches a big part of the preceding paragraph if not every letter.

You can continue to try to whitewash the breed but your words fall on deaf ears around these parts.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 07-12-2021 at 04:22 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    That will become a major problem when TSHTF so to speak because people will turn dogs out to roam for food because they can no longer feed them.
    We will have to shoot and kill these packs whither we like it or not.
    Sometimes a problem can be a blessing in disguise. My father is good friends with a Vietnamese fella who makes coyote taste good. He says back home, dog was always on the menu.

Doug, I’m so sorry for your loss. I know the feeling all too well. Once a critter gets ahold of your heart they become something special. It’s a painful way to loose one. I’m glad your neighbor was kind enough to bury it for you. That’s not the last image of your buddy you want trapped in your mind.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    Sometimes a problem can be a blessing in disguise. My father is good friends with a Vietnamese fella who makes coyote taste good. He says back home, dog was always on the menu.

Doug, I’m so sorry for your loss. I know the feeling all too well. Once a critter gets ahold of your heart they become something special. It’s a painful way to loose one. I’m glad your neighbor was kind enough to bury it for you. That’s not the last image of your buddy you want trapped in your mind.
    I had no idea I had become attached in just the two weeks she was here. I didn't see this coming. I took her cardboard box that was her bed, put her in a plastic bag and took her to the land fill. I did not bury her here, it was over and done before I had much time to think about it. I am relieved there is no sacred "place" in my yard where she is buried I think that would only contribute to the attachment and I am trying to let things go not hold on to them. All I can do now is SMDH and if them dogs ever come back around, I just better shut the hell up right now.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    You are missing a HUGE part of why the PB is a dangerous dog. Thugs, teen aged drug dealers….
    You can continue to try to whitewash the breed but your words fall on deaf ears around these parts.
    Actually, you just said EXACTLY what the point is… Too bad you missed it.
    There was a time the “Pitt” was not the “dog of choice” for thugs, they have become “popular” because of their extreme talents, physical attributes, and desire to please and protect their owner/family… The felons that own them will do the same to Dobermans and Shepherds if they need to, but it’s a step down from “Super-dog”.

The truth is I could post a dozen pictures here that would likely all be identified as “Pitt Bulls” by the DEAF crowd, without a single APBT in the group.

Nobody here seems even remotely interested in banning those dangerous guns, though… They watch death and destruction daily, but blame the human that uses them dangerously.
    You might not see the parallel, but I do, so enjoy the deafness that comes from a closed mind… And try to learn and apply the term “whitewash” properly.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast