Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pit Bulls Killed My Cat

Moderator Emeritus

Doug, I am so sorry for your loss; I have a cat that picked me when one of my dogs died and he just refuses to let me have a bad day!

......A number of years ago we had a schnauzer killed by two pit bull's that were dumped.....I chased them and killed one in the yard of a neighbor.....he came out and asked what had happened and I told him what they had done and that one had gotten away....he said he would take care of the second pit as he knew where they were denning up....he was true to his promise.....on the flip side I absolutely hate people that dump dogs and cats.....they are scum!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

So, someone who allows their cat to roam the neighborhood is complaining about his neighbor allowing their dog to roam the neighborhood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Newboy View Post
    So, someone who allows their cat to roam the neighborhood is complaining about his neighbor allowing their dog to roam the neighborhood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I have no complaint about an animal that roams the neighborhood. I take issue with that animal when it goes to killing other animals for sport not food.

FYI, the cat was an outdoor cat but it stayed on mine and my next door neighbor's property. It lived here, ate here and sheltered here. The dogs chased it up a tree on my property, then went and hid in the yard until it came down, then chased it onto my neighbor's property where they ran it down and killed it there.

It wasn't just a chance encounter, they weren't just "roaming the neighborhood" they were hunting. Those dogs exhibited hunting skills a.k.a. the "pack" instinct, they were cunning and skillful working as a team. THIS is what makes them a dangerous animal. I explained this to the animal control officers and they noted this in the report, and that these dogs are both dangerous animals and a menace to the community.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 07-10-2021 at 07:57 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I don't think the cat was roaming the neighborhood and killing other people's pets
    Being human is not for sissies.

I am sorry to hear about your adopted Kitty demise. I am a cat lover as well, we have 3 all rescue cats, and one 10 pound Pomeranian. Dogs that are that vicious need to be put down.

Boolit Master
    Wow, I'm just shocked! Two pages of "pit bull" hate and not one! "I'd shoot anyone who killed my dog" no matter the circumstances post!

Sorry for the loss of your cat. If you seek retribution always take my Grandfather's advice. "Boy, of you are going to shoot someone's dog, make sure only you and Jesus know about it. Cause Jesus ain't talking yet, and folks will kill you over a dog!"

I've got a real high tally to account for if JC is keeping score!

Banned

Maybe 23 years ago, we had an incident just down the road where a couple who owned Rotweilers and wer deliberately training them to be vicious had thei dogs kill a little boy while he was waiting for the school bus. The three dogs ripped him apart in front of his little brother and as school bus full of his classmates.

They tried the couple seperately and the wofe was first, she got convicted of second degree murder and is still in prison as far as I know. Husband plea bargained out after that.

No tolerance for vicious dogs. The ones I mentioned had been complained about several times before this happened. If I had a dog like the pitbulls you mentioned in my neighborhood, I'd take care of it, carefully so as not to be caught, but those dogs would cease to be a threat in the neighborhood.

Boolit Master
    yesterdays news......five week old baby killed by two dogs.
    Last edited by john.k; 07-10-2021 at 08:46 PM.

Banned

I was surprised how easy to find an article about the incident by the house was. https://leerburg.com/rotkill2.htm

As luck had it, I was TDY and on the way home on a plane when I heard about it. While I was back east, I adopted a middle aged female bassett, and my brother who happened to be driving back to Colorado took her and dropped her off at the house in Milford.. I took her to our vet for shots the next day, he was an an old guy and kind of gruff, been doing vet work for like 40 years at that point, but as soon as he saw her, he told me how good it was to have someone come in with a common sense dog and then proceeded to tell me that in all his years of vet work, he'd only seen dog maulings by rots, pits, dobermans and chows, no others.

I'll get pounced on for saying this, some breeds are inherently dangerous and pits are among them. That poor cat wasn't a threat to anybody, those pits would have just as easily killed a child as a cat. Time for a night time visit with some fast acting poison, be careful not to be seen and have a reliable alibi.
    Last edited by richhodg66; 07-10-2021 at 09:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    I used to give pitbulls the benefit of the doubt, blaming their owners for their actions, etc, but my last dog (95 lbs) was attacked four times in a year and a half by pitbulls (and no other dog breeds). Luckily he was a big, strong dog or they would have killed him (he removed the eye of one of them in a fight). I don't like this expression, but they are what they are - dangerous. I'm a dog person but I'd have absolutely no problem with a pit bull ban. You'd have to be totally out of your mind to have one in a family setting with kids.

Boolit Master
    That pack behavior is why I carry a sidearm when hunting. If I see one dog wandering the woods, I don't worry too much, unless it's showing interest in me, but two or more, my hand is on my weapon in case they "go" for me! Anything resembling a snarl, I will draw and shoot before they have a chance to draw blood. Hasn't happened, hope it doesn't!

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Yep, One time on an 1800 acre hunting lease (no dogs allowed) I had just loaded up the 4 wheeler when I looked down a logging road 3 pits running at me.
    I climbed on the 4 wheeler with an old Spanish 7x57 Mauser loaded to the gills.
    These 3 jokers ran up there,Liver and white pits, The female and the puppy just wagged those tails at me.
    Now the male pit growled at me while staring down the barrel of the old Mauser, I'm like try to get on this trailer bubba.
    He turned, Wheezed on my tire and off down the road they went, I reported the encounter to the club president.
    He's like those are so-in-so's dogs you should of shot em!
    I'm like I can live with a wet tire for the time being.

Boolit Grand Master
    Had a couple of Chows kill one my cats decades ago. Chased him under the truck and tag teamed him till they got him. Neighborhood kids told me what happened and buried him for me while I was at work.
    Where I live now, wife was raising some ducks many years ago and neighbors dog came over and killed every one. You could see the tracks in the snow. Didn't eat them, just killed them. They got rid of the dog soon afterwards.

If you plan to take care of this problem yourself, then I would not report this to the authorities.

Banned
    The dogs aren't the real problem...It's the owners. And it's hard to get away with shooting them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    That pack behavior is why I carry a sidearm when hunting. If I see one dog wandering the woods, I don't worry too much, unless it's showing interest in me, but two or more, my hand is on my weapon in case they "go" for me! Anything resembling a snarl, I will draw and shoot before they have a chance to draw blood. Hasn't happened, hope it doesn't!
    I used to do a bit of trout fishing in the streams of Central Wisconsin. Get in the creek at one bridge...fish to the next and walk back to the car on the roads. Sometimes several miles. I always got chills when farm dogs would come out to the road (car chasers) and stalk me. One time while in a creek what looked like Rotweiler, St Bernard mix appeared on the bank growling. Above him on the hill was the owner standing with his hands on his hips grinning like he sicked the dog on me. I backed out into deep water and called the dog in "here boy, come on in' knowing he didn't have a chance in water that was above his head but not mine. I wish he would have attacked. I would have drowned that thing right there in front of the guy.
    When I related the story to my dad he said ..."a guy like that would have probably gone in and got a gun and shot you".

Boolit Buddy
    So sad for your loss. I often wonder why people are so irresponsible with their dogs. I happen to be the owners of two pits, well that at least what the back yard breeder called them. One is well over 100 pounds and the other is close to it. My two are lover of people, I do not allow them to run, they are in a fenced in yard. The smallest would make for the garage door every chance he got. He cost me over 400 dollars because he got at the next door neighbors dog. In my opinion their dog what not all that bad off, a few puncher marks a bit of blood. She had fit and rushed beloved dog to the vet who knew what he had, and took as much of my money as he could. The neighbor who loves her dogs soo much does not provide shelter for them, as best as I can tell does not keep them supplied with water and not sure how often feed. I heard the vet asking about her dogs shot record, none. I tell this story about my expence to prove a point after I had to shell over 400 bucks, IT MADE ME MORE RESPONIBLE for my dogs. To be honest I feel as though I got off easy/light, and am kind of ok with the way it turned out. When get into to someone's pocket book and you get their attention. Prior to him getting out I had been trying to figure a way to shock collar to work I was going about it all wrong. I got a base with a 3 foot area dog will not go near the door.

Rockrat you story about your wife raising some ducks and neighbors dog came over and killed every one, reminded about my Mom. A few years back she was raising chickens, ducks, geese and few other types of birds. One day she came home to find a bunch of dead birds in they yard and the neighbors dog doing the damage. My thought would have been to gut shoot the dog and hope the neighbor had a big vet bill. Mom took a goose that was still somewhat alive and bloody, to the neighbors door. The neighbor and her daughter answered the door and my Mother proceeded to show them what their dog had be up to. Then she left the goose on their porch and explained that she did not have enough freezer space and would hate for the meat to go to waste. As Mom was leaving the lady asked my Mom take the animal with you, its disturbing my daughter, Mom replies well your dog did it, you aught to have something for his work.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    yesterdays news......five week old baby killed by two dogs.
    Yep, we had one here 7yr old girl killed by two pit bulls, her and her mother were looking in on the dogs for a neighbor (dogs owners) while they were gone and the dogs attacked the pair killing the little girl and severely injuring the mother.

The owners have gone to court trying to get the dogs back, the court ordered them euthanized, they got an injunction, 60 days, the owners will pay for the shelter keeping the dogs, I think they should have already put them down. Can't believe this case is causing so much question and costing a lot of court time.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

DougGuy
    Sorry for your loss.
    My wife just brought a stray kitten home, so we now have a 130 pound great Dane, and a less than one pound black fur ball. It's amazing how fast you can get attached to a critter!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    45workhouse, hopefully they will be best friends soon!

Had a German Shorthair Pointer walk up to me on my front porch, back in the Jurassic when I was still a teen; Dog decided to growl at me, I offered to end it. Standoff for a while, then it walked off. Bad owner, and they let it run wild in Suburbia. Sister went to school with this tool's daughter and would regularly report that someone had shot him again; Gee, I wonder why?

Thundarstick, there is a difference between the friendly black lab who runs into my yard with a slobbery tennis ball, asking me to throw it for him (Fun LOL) and the pack / killer dog who comes to destroy, I suspect the same folks here who want to guard their feline fur kids would do the exact same for their canine fur babies. OP's post was about a cat killed by dogs, though.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast