Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolt extremely hard to rotate on old Husqvarna 640 30-06

Boolit Buddy

Bolt extremely hard to rotate on old Husqvarna 640 30-06

I got bit by the Simpson’s LTD. Husqvarna bug a couple of months ago. Bought a 9.3x62 640, and a 30-06 640. Both had cracks behind the tang, so I sent those stocks off to be repaired. I have them back now, and the rifles are put together.

But the 30-06 exhibits a condition that I have NEVER experienced in any bolt action in my entire life: the bolt is VERY hard to rotate, both on opening and on closing. It sort of feels like one of the lugs is dragging somewhere inside the action, but I can’t be sure.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this? I don’t really want to put more $$ into the rifle (e.g. gunsmith expenses), but it looks as if I may have to.

8mmFan

Boolit Grand Master

If it has scope bases mount at least one of the base screws may be hitting the bolt.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    You would not be the first to get caught by the base screw being too long. Regards Stephen.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't know about the Husqvarna but too long stock bolts can do it on some rifles.

Just for grins, try the 9.3 bolt in the 30-06 to see if acts the same. If it is stiff working as well, that points toward the action. The mount screws are a distinct possibility. Did it come from Simpsons with scope bases?
    Pics, please

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I’m one for the stock bolt as as the issue… loosen them up a half turn a few times and see if the bolt gets easier to operate, saw this on a remmy 700 once that my uncle had , I thought he was a magician when he fixed it ….

Boolit Master
    I would try looseining the rear action screw. Iv'e seen bolt actions get bound up like this before because the rear bolt was way overtightened pulling the action out of square. The rear bolt just needs to be snug. Also look at the locking lugs for scratches if the right lug is scratched its your scope base screws if its the left lug its your front action screw dragging. Its an easy fix to figure out unless you feel you should have your smith involved.

Boolit Grand Master

The 640 was built on M96 actions, a Mauser so the front action screw isn't the problem. The rear scope base screw being too long is the most likely suspect. However, the bedding could also cause the bolt to bind as mentioned. Loosen the rear action screw only, if the tang rises above the stock any appreciable degree the action could be bending when tightened causing the bolt to bind. There should also be a pillar in the stock to prevent the action from bending when the rear action screw is tightened.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    What about removing cocking piece/firing pin assembly and try with naked bolt possible isolation, if still tough on naked bolt remove extractor. Pull barrel/rec from wood and try, isolate down. As mentioned earlier, confirm length of mount screw protrusion on rear bridge.

I'm surprised that 30-06 or 9.3x62 fit in the 96 Mauser 6.5x55 magazine. Did Husqvarna modify the magazine boxes for the model 640?
    And yes, the rear guard screw collar is important to prevent action bind on Mausers.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for the insight and ideas here, guys. I am on vacation until Wednesday. When I get back, I will try all of the above. FYI the rifle has NO cope or bases—has never been tapped for a scope.

Thanks again.

8mmFan

Boolit Master
    Strip the bolt. Check that the extractor rotates easily and is not binding. If the extractor moves easily degrease the bolt and using a black marker color the entire bolt. Then put it back in the rifle and work it several times. Any binding spots will remove the color and give you an idea where the problem is. If not on the mating surfaces of the lugs stone the binding points and repeat until bolt operates freely. Make sure you check the extractor as well, it may be slightly too large to match the cut in the action. Never did this on a Mauser but had a similar issue on an 03A3.

Boolit Master
    If it never had a scope my money would be on that rear guard screw.

Boolit Master
    I had one Mauser that rubbed real hard external in rail where extractor attached to collar on bolt, some careful 320 love and smooth as glass it was.

Boolit Buddy
    Quick follow up: definitely not the stock screws/bedding, etc. Loosened the rear screw—no effect. Loosened the front screw—no effect. Removed from stock, separated from magazine box, inserted bolt into action...and it still has the same issue.

So, I will now proceed to work on the other suggestions involving the bolt/extractor listed above this evening or tomorrow, and report back.

Oh, yes: forgot to add that I interchanged the bolt from the 9.3x62 into the 30-06, and there was no such issue in cycling the bolt. It wasn’t totally smooth, as it is in it’s correct action, but the 9.3 bolt didn’t have any of the resistance in the 30-06 action that the 30-06 bolt has.

Thanks everyone.

8mmFan
    Last edited by 8mmFan; 07-13-2021 at 11:01 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Lay a straight edge against the bolt. Also look for any peening or rub marks on the bolt or in the raceway.

I will say that I have been bitten by each and every prior suggestion in this thread. Fortunately not all on the same rifle.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 8mmFan View Post
    Quick follow up: definitely not the stock screws/bedding, etc. Loosened the rear screw—no effect. Loosened the front screw—no effect. Removed from stock, separated from magazine box, inserted bolt into action...and it still has the same issue.

So, I will now proceed to work on the other suggestions involving the bolt/extractor listed above this evening or tomorrow, and report back.

Oh, yes: forgot to add that I interchanged the bolt from the 9.3x62 into the 30-06, and there was no such issue in cycling the bolt. It wasn’t totally smooth, as it is in it’s correct action, but the 9.3 bolt didn’t have any of the resistance in the 30-06 action that the 30-06 bolt has.

Thanks everyone.

8mmFan
    Is the action D&T'd for scope bases? If so and the bases are on the receiver ring remove the rear screw. The problem you are having, with Mauser actions, is almost invariably caused by the rear base screw being to long.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Larry,

The action is not drilled and tapped at all. Evidently there has never been a scope on the rifle at all.

I’m in a hotel tonight and can’t work on the rifle, but from the comments above, I’m kind of suspecting it’s something with the bolt and/or receiver. I removed the whole thing from the stock this morning, put it together without the stock, and the issue still happened.

8mmFan

Boolit Master
    Did you try the 30-06 bolt in the other rifle? And I would differently check it with a go no go set.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 8mmFan View Post
    Larry,

The action is not drilled and tapped at all. Evidently there has never been a scope on the rifle at all.

I’m in a hotel tonight and can’t work on the rifle, but from the comments above, I’m kind of suspecting it’s something with the bolt and/or receiver. I removed the whole thing from the stock this morning, put it together without the stock, and the issue still happened.

8mmFan
    In that case given the rear action screw did not bend the action I woulod concur there is a problem with the bolt.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast