RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Anybody Know How To Make 60-gr or 71-gr Jacketed .32 ACP Bullets?

Anybody Know How To Make 60-gr or 71-gr Jacketed .32 ACP Bullets?

Trying to find bullets for .32 ACP. Factory is usually 60-grain or 71-grain. All out everywhere, if they aren't flat-out discontinued by the mfg.

Bear Creek makes an 80-gr cast moly-coated .311 dia RN, which I have. No loading data for them, though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32 ACP Bear Creek Bullets jpeg.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	285839

Berry's makes a 71-gr plated RN, but is sold out, naturally.

Name:	Berrys 71gr plated RN for .32ACP.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	285838

I'd even go for the Lyman 311252 2-cav mold, if I could find one.

Name:	Lyman 311252 75gr .311 dia .32ACP mold.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	285840

But I'm hankering for some standard FMJ or jacketed soft point bullets. The Speer 60-gr Gold Dot looks nice, but I can't find them as bullets for reloading.

Have any of you swagers ever gone to the trouble of making tiny .32 ACP jacketed bullets?

What would you start with for the jacket? What core would you use? What die would you use?

Kind of a longshot, but I thought I'd ask.

Having made 240-gr .44 Mag slugs from .40S&W brass and a 175-grain cast bullet core fairly easily by jamming the cores and annealed brass into a 7x57mm Mauser sizer die, perhaps there's an equally simply way to make .32ACP bullets?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Got a 5.7FN die ...... That case is about right for a heavy weight 30 cal rifle . There's a lot of cutting needed to get it down to a 70 gr jacket .

I'm way out of my pond here so disregard as needed .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Spent 50 BMG primers are 5/16” which is.3125”.
    I made a set of swaging dies with a 5/16” reamer for 32 SWC revolver bullets for my Herters 9 ton swaging press and use gas checks and LEE liquid alox. I have not tried powder coating yet.
    Last edited by deltaenterprizes; 07-10-2021 at 03:06 PM.

What delta said, Spent BMG primers are great for a half jacket... I use them to make a 80 grain wadcutter for my Hammerli 32 S&W Long target pistol when i can find the primers...

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

C-H T&D used to make, may still do, a .30 cal "R" style set of swaging dies (fits 7/8" x 14 tpi presses).
    They worked great for making light .311 diameter bullets for the .32 ACP.

I had a set, and used Herters 30 cal short jackets to make 60 grain bullets.
    No longer having the dies, I still have 8 boxes (2000 jackets) of the jackets that are of no use to me any longer.
    If you can find the dies, and jackets, you'll have it made.

The Herters short 30 cal jackets measure 0.305" in diameter by approximately 0.290" in length. (see picture).

50 BMG primers do work, but are only 0.200" long, and although cover enough of the bearing surface, the ogive portion is mostly lead
    and may cause some feeding problems when engaging the ramp on autos.

20mm cannon primers are better, they measure 0.330" in diameter and approximately 0.250" long. After sizing them down in a jacket reducing die,
    they will increase in length slightly.

RRR

Name:	Herters 30 Cal jackets x.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	286137
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Buddy

Following this too, OP. I’ve been looking into the exact issue for a bunch of vintage 32 autos I own. I, too, am having trouble figuring this one out. The Corbin site suggests on it’s page for the CTJ-1-s die, that 9mm and 380 cases can be used for .311. I shoot those calibers and don’t want to waste cases for jackets. Trimming would be required, but most would trim jackets for uniformity anyway.

Boolit Master
    i had tom at accurate mold company make me a 71/73 grain mold ....on week # 6 of my waiting period.
    Last edited by mozeppa; 07-18-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    GONRA suggests first looking for these commercial
    60 grain .312 inch diameter bullets:
    Speer Gold Dot 3986,
    Hornady HP/XTP #32010

Otherwise warm up yer cheque book and call Corbin.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I'm not not sure which .32 ACP pistol you are looking to load for...

I collect .32 ACP WW1 and WW2-era pistols. I shoot them all, over a dozen. The original FMJRN ammunition these guns were designed to run used bullets from 73-77 grains. Limiting myself only to the very "best" pistols which still lend themselves to civilian concealed carry, and which are well proven to the the most accurate and reliable, based upon WW2 and Colt War clandestine services applications, I prefer the Colt M1903 Pocket Hammerless Type III, the CZ27, Beretta M1935, FN1922 and later CZ50, Beretta 70 and Walther PP, NOT the PPk.

Attachment 288127Attachment 288128Attachment 288129Attachment 288130Attachment 288131

Of all the Colt M1903 and Beretta M1935 are my favorites and I have multiples of them. The recent import Beretta Model 81s are reliable, but frankly is too bulky for concealed carry.

The Accurate 31-081H bullet "fits" the Euro-CIP throat and origin of rifling. Its seating depth does not exceed that of 74-grain WW2-era FMJ "hardball". This somewhat heavier bullet provides a reliable recoil impulse for positive functioning. The stated 81-grain weight is based upon common wheelweight alloy or backstop scrap. If you cast from linotype the bullet drops 77 grains, the same as WW2-era German or Czech Vz61 Scorpion machine pistol "heavy ball."

A powder charge consistnig of 2 grains of Bullseye, TiteGroup, WST, 452AA or 2.5 grains of W231, HP38 or Green Dot are full charge loads about 900 fps, which cycle reliably when bullets are seated to a minimum 0.955" OAL. For most pistols size bullets to .311-.312"

The lighter 60-65-grain JHP bullets of short-nosed profile do not permit cartridge OAL of at least 0.955 and therefore are prone to rimlock. The reduced recoil impulse of bullets lighter than 70 grains does not reliably cycle WW2-era pistols in standard-pressure loads. I have found that the steel-frame WW2-era pistols function reliably with 87-100 grain bullets at minimum 0.955 overall cartridge length using 3 grains of Olin AutoComp which approximate .380 ACP payload and energy.

Attachment 288125Attachment 288132Attachment 288133Attachment 288134
    Last edited by Outpost75; 08-30-2021 at 11:14 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Outpost75 - GONRA sez no .32 ACP collection is complete without a
    Frommer STOP and Frommer Baby. Cast boolits are Just Fine.
    (Plus a pyle of spare extractors and bolt heads.
    Have "long recoil" phun!)

(60 gn. jacketed are great for .32ACP Seecamps and clones....)

Boolit Master
    I make an 85gr jacketed swc using 50cal primers for the jacket. The jacket is just short of the front edge of the lead. Using a bit less lead and the jacket would cover all the lead that contacts the bore. I make these on home made dies with a Swag-o-Matic.
    I think it would be easy to make a nose forming die that would form a bit of the jacket over part of the nose using less lead to make a lighter bullet without having to trim a rather short jacket.
    I have been using a 93gr cast in my pre war Walthers ppk in 32acp without problems.