MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is this area really for?

Thanks, Der Gebirgsjager I always try to be and you are one of the Good Guys

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Not sure I understand, does this make me a good guy or a bad guy?
    You're definitely a good guy. When you said you needed something, you posted your need along with the fact you couldn't afford to buy one, and a member helped out. Perfect! None of the threads I referred to indicated any financial trial as the reason for the need. They were just like "Hey I need xxxxx I can't find one anywhere. Anybody have one?" While this is a perfectly reasonable thing to ask the board, it doesn't seem appropriate to this area. I don't know you but from all indications, you are one of the good guys!
    Last edited by bisleyfan41; 07-16-2021 at 05:20 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    You're a good guy, BR.

Bisleyfan41, you make some valid points, and I can see it from your perspective. Like I already said, if you just want to give something away it's a PIF and belongs in that section. If you need something and can't afford it, it belongs in the HH section. If you want something and can afford it you should post it in the S&S section as a WTB ad.

Again, one does have to be selective about who gets your item(s). A fellow with a low post count once asked for a SKS stock. I had a take off and sent it to him. Never even heard the magic words, and never saw him post again. Sometimes I think folks just drop into our forum to see how green the grass is. But you just can't know for certain. Life is full of risks, swindles,....... and rewards.

DG
    Thank you for your response. I understand what you're saying. If the bolded part of your response is accurate, there are quite a few threads here that need to be moved to the S&S section as they are basically WTB posts. Here is why I'm asking for clarification.

From the header:

Forum: Helping Hands
    1. I am giving it away to someone that needs or wants what I am giving away. 2. "I'll take it" doesn't necessarily rule. The giver can "pass" on recipients calling "I'll take it!" 3. The person giving the item pays the shipping so the item is always worth the shipping. 4. The person receiving the gift is not obligated to give anything.

And from 45nut's post:

The goal.
    The new area is intended to help those that really can use the help in these dire economic times, if you have duplicates, triplicates and such of an item that you feel would be appreciated by someone that simply could not afford it then you can offer it up, or even nominate someone for help if you see a true need and cannot provide it yourself, then put out a call.

Both of these things seem to indicate that the threads in this section should be from somebody giving something away, not looking for something. The reason I'm asking is the stuff I'm giving away, I don't want somebody who needs it to HAVE to offer up a PIF. Some likely don't have much to PIF with anyway. Can I post them in this section? Like I have a duplicate of one of the current loading manuals. If a new loader without the means needs a manual, I want them to just have it without having to give something of theirs away.

Please don't take any of my posts wrong. I'm not trying to offend or annoy you, the other posters in this thread, or the authors of the threads I'm referring to. And I'm thankful for the responses here. I'm just trying to get clarity. I love this site, it is one of 3 that I visit every single day. There is such a wealth of knowledge here and I can't begin to quantify how much I've learned here. I've been on the bottom of the poor bracket, so I'd love to help someone in those same shoes. Also not too worried about the "not truly needy" swooping in to claim stuff. They'd have to answer to somebody way more important than me one day.

Understood, as to thoughts and wishes. Well, although I've done my best to explain it clearly, it can still be somewhat foggy and murky. If you want to give something away, no one is going to complain where you do it. There is no way that I know of to weed out the greedy and undeserving. In fact, although you are not the first to bring up this subject, it hasn't been brought up in quite a while. Since you desire to be the giver, offer to give it where you will.

DG

For me personally, I intend to give something away to help somebody having a better day. If that is to satisfy their greed, their collecting "sickness" or if they make a Million Dollars a year, I do not really care. If it improves their day, I accomplished what I wanted to accomplish.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
    How many people claim an item in PIF and never post something in return? I guess right now I'm one of them since I have some brass coming and haven't posted in return yet.

I don't know what the name Der Gebirgsjager means, but that's about the best answer.
    Der Gebirgsjaeger means: The Mountain Hunter (Der = The) (Gebirgs = Mountains) (Jaeger= Hunter).

Best to stick with english which is a hell of a lot less complicated !

Thank's

Boolit Master

I guess I really ought to post in this thread!

Here are quotes from various places in this sub-forum:

From the header:

Forum: Helping Hands
    1. I am giving it away to someone that needs or wants what I am giving away. 2. "I'll take it" doesn't necessarily rule. The giver can "pass" on recipients calling "I'll take it!" 3. The person giving the item pays the shipping so the item is always worth the shipping. 4. The person receiving the gift is not obligated to give anything.

And from 45nut's post:

The goal.
    The new area is intended to help those that really can use the help in these dire economic times, if you have duplicates, triplicates and such of an item that you feel would be appreciated by someone that simply could not afford it then you can offer it up, or even nominate someone for help if you see a true need and cannot provide it yourself, then put out a call.

I am the original writer of those four rules and I went to 45Nut and asked to create this sub-forum. 45Nut came up with a wonderful name for this sub-forum.

Although the rules and goal for this sub-forum do not specifically address requests based on supply chain issues, I am not opposed to members, even new members, requesting help locating scarce items because they can not find a place to buy them. The Helping Hand for this can be suggesting a source or even just arranging to send the item. It can even be a suggested alternate procedure which doesn't require that specific item.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12