RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: first round of paper patching

first round of paper patching

Well, I received a 40/65 Pedersoli in the mail yesterday, and put some ammo together to goo see how it does.
    I was using IMR4227 , and although I have used it in my Shuetzen rifle and in my Snider a bit, I have never used it in a tight fitting bullet case combination.
    I have shot a few black powder cartridge guns in the past - 38/55,40/65 , 45/70/,45/110 etc, , but never used paper patched bullets.
    I found out this morning , even with new brass, that using the bullets made from the mold that came with the rifle, that a charge of real black powder tended to help keep the bullet stable as it was seated - that's my story and I'm stickin' to it anyway! LOL
    These were done up this morning.
    I also had some greaser bullets cast with a mold that also came with the rifle, but prefer to use the PP bullets as it is very easy to make the patches and apply the, with the help of posts of many of the members here that I read!
    David
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MvaUTKW.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	285825
    scopes and bags are cool, but palm rests 'n' irons RULE!

Boolit Grand Master

What Dia are they ? Bore riders or Groove dia.

For even more information pick up a copy o loading and shooting the paper patched bullet a beginners guide. It is very good

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    What Dia are they ? Bore riders or Groove dia.

For even more information pick up a copy o loading and shooting the paper patched bullet a beginners guide. It is very good
    They are bore diameter IIRC Country Gent, with .001 paper from an old bible.
    I was given a bullet already patched when I received the mold, and was surprised that it was made from Bible paper until I read the thread about paper patching!
    David

Boolit Mold
    bore dia and smokeless isnt the best combo as it wont bump up very well. When you use BP dont resize your brass just add enough taper crimp to hold the bullet from falling out. You should be able to remove the bullet after crimp and put it back in. .001 is very thin paper most will use .0015-.002. seat your bullet around .100 in the case with the BP too, to help align it more in the bore.

matt

Quote Originally Posted by bpcrshooter View Post
    bore dia and smokeless isnt the best combo as it wont bump up very well. When you use BP dont resize your brass just add enough taper crimp to hold the bullet from falling out. You should be able to remove the bullet after crimp and put it back in. .001 is very thin paper most will use .0015-.002. seat your bullet around .100 in the case with the BP too, to help align it more in the bore.

matt
    Yeah I was underwhelmed with 20 grains of 4227 as far as case expansion goes, FFFG works far better LOL!
    I have a very tight bore /bullet combination in this rifle and very little freebore, so cannot breach seat the bullets like I doo with my 8.15X46R.
    I shot last evening and was impressed at 200 meters as far as vertical dispersion goes ( 2 1/2" for 10 rounds), but my horizontal dispersion suffered because of the lighting conditions. I have a very fine crosshair type of front sight and will change that out for one of my insert style front globes today.
    The BP loads expanded well and the PP bullets worked wonderfully!
    David

So last night I shot 51 grains of FFG with the 420 grain bullet with a milk carton wad, things worked pretty good even with the flyer.
    Fired brass is unsized and not crimped, pistol primers were used

Name:	qhPXnZ6.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	286241
    Today I switched to 56 grains of FFFG ( and LOTS of compression!) and this was the result.
    I really think the high and low flyers were me, not the load however.
    Shooting was done at 200 meters

Name:	al10SJz.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	286242
    A little Happier every time I shoot this rifle!
    David