Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do you ad lube to Magma Star?

Boolit Buddy

When do you add lube to Magma Star?

Recently picked up a Magma Star lube sizer and was curious if you guys use the "pressure screw length" as a measuring gauge to determine when to add another stick of lube?
    Last edited by 8shot; 07-10-2021 at 09:39 AM.

I have the air assist attached to mine. If you want to make life somewhat easier go the air assist route. Don't expect much help from Magma manuals they are this side of useless. After all the years of producing the lube sizer you would think a decent instruction manual was within their ability. I think they assume we are all mechanical engineers.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    I considered an air assist..even went to their web site...couldn't locate an area to buy one. Probably because of the backlog..anyway even with the air assist..how do you determine the remaining lube quantity?

I add lube to my several Star/Magma Sizers when the lube runs out. If you add it too soon, there won't be enough room to get the plunger in and catch the threads on the top cap, if using a full lube stick. You'll feel the handle get "spongy" when you're about out of lube, or the lube grooves won't fill out all the way. I just add a stick of lube, let it heat up about 15 minutes and then run any bullets that didn't fill out through the sizer again.

Over the years, I've tried all sorts of methods to keep from breaking the rhythm, but as I've gotten older, I find that resting my arm while the new stick of lube heats up isn't a bad thing, if you know what I mean. I tend to size and lube in batches of a thousand and either load the bullets into tubes for the bullet feeder, or load them one at a time, depending on the bullet and the sizer I'm using. I have one of the tall boy sizers that takes 3 sticks of lube, in addition to my regular Star Sizers, and that one will wear your arm and shoulder out before it needs to be refilled.

If you do happen to refill too soon, and you can't get the top cap to reach the threads, it's hard to get the new lube stick back out. I use a 6" long #14 deck screw to pull it back out. It works sort of like a corkscrew. Screw it in a few turns and then pull up. Once I get the too long stick of lube out, then I cut it to the proper length and put it back in. The short lube sticks get added later one.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by 8shot View Post
    I considered an air assist..even went to their web site...couldn't locate an area to buy one. Probably because of the backlog..anyway even with the air assist..how do you determine the remaining lube quantity?
    I don't bother. When the lube runs out I put a new one in. The first couple of times changing lube was a real challenge for the boy with little mechanical ability. Again there is not one word in any manua as to how you can sucessfully replace the lube tube. When you eventually get an air assist you will discover exactly what I am talking about. Just call and I will walk you through it while changing mine. You will get a lesson in how strong you are.....

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Magma has several videos on how to use the Magma/Star Sizer, including one on how to add lube to the machine: https://www.magmaengineering.com/magma-star-lube-sizer/

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Hi Fred
    The video for changing the lube is clear for manual method of pressurizing the machine. Nothing for the air assist which involves a couple of quirky things to do that you kind og find out trial and error.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master
    I only use soft lube in mine and melt it in with a propane torch like a plumber would use. You can get more in it faster and don't have to squash it down and worry about air pockets. Mine takes solid sticks.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 07-09-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    I keep track of how many bullets I lube, between adding a new stick of lube. Same goes for the RCBS LAM. Grease pencil/China Marker is handy and erasable with a Magic Eraser. Pretty much, can tell when I have to add a full stick.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I melt my lube and pour it in up to the hole. It contracts while cooling and I can just get the plunger installed. I don't fill it until it runs out.

There is an air compressor under the bench and all the air conversion parts in the toolchest but I haven't gotten excited enough about it to put it together.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 07-10-2021 at 09:45 AM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    If the conversion unit is the simple piston type, sold on this forum, don't procrastinate. Works as advertised. Allows you to plug the vent hole and add over a stick of lube.

Winelover

Run it until you run out

I just run mine until i run out. You will bottom out the screw and that is the dead giveaway.
    When you replace the lube stick, that gives you time for a break while it softens up. You can take a break or do something else for a while.
    A tip: coat the outside of the piston with white grease....the assembly is a heck of a lot easier to take out when you run out of lube.
    But with an air assist, i really don't know.
    My rhythm is lube a few, turn the screw, lube a few turn the screw.
    How many is a "few"? It depends on the bullets.
    H&G #503 has a lube groove the size of the Panama Canal....as do many Keith bullets.
    So maybe 5 or so.
    The #S55 380 bullet doesn't have much for a lube groove so maybe 10 or 15.
    I never found the issue troublesome enough to get the air feed.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

ADMIN

its been a very long time since I have used lube.
    From my memory, as mentioned above when the boolits don't come up full then I check on it.
    I "semi-automated" my star sizer. It sizes 100 boolits then stops.
    I change tubes and hit a button and it does another 100.
    Its pretty quick. It can knock out 100 boolits in under 4 mins without even breaking a sweat.
    I switched over to using a coating.

Boolit Buddy
    I mix lube colors. A small slice of red on top of the new lube. When the lube turns red, I add a stick and a marker lube. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    I only use soft lube in mine and melt it in with a propane torch like a plumber would use. You can get more in it faster and don't have to squash it down and worry about air pockets. Mine takes solid sticks.
    Melt it i your microwave and just pour it in from a glass measuring cup. So much easier with less [potential mess. I do that for my RCBS Lubricator when I melt down my collection of lube excess I have collected overtime from my "mistakes".

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Melt it i your microwave and just pour it in from a glass measuring cup. So much easier with less [potential mess. I do that for my RCBS Lubricator when I melt down my collection of lube excess I have collected overtime from my "mistakes".

Take Care

Bob
    I used to do that and stopped when I blew a bullseye out of the bottom of the Pyrex measuring cup. No idea why it happened but exploding glass makes me nervous.
    Mal

Boolit Master

What's so difficult about adding lube to an air assist? Unscrew the top cap, pull out the piston, add lube stick, replace piston in hole and screw down the top cap.

Boolit Buddy
    If there is not enough room to add a full stick, that can be tedious. Once a stick goes into the tube, it tends to stick. The question was, in my opinion, when do you add a whole stick of lube and still ne able to get the top back on.

Boolit Master
    I wait until I see gaps in the lube in the groove. I'll see a flash of silver where it should be grey. The side far from the valve is the closest to me so that's the most likely spot, right in front.
    Mal

You can also cut sticks of lube if after you remove the plunger you find there isn't enough room for a whole stick of new lube. If you do happen to add a full stick, and it won't allow the cap to screw back on, I detailed in Post #4 above how to remove it. Then just make a stick that will fit. I use a plastic pipe cutter to cut off the sticks to the proper length.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast