Titan ReloadingWidenersPBcastcoRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When do you ad lube to Magma Star?

Boolit Master
    I will cut the lube sticks also, using a folding Stanley utility knife.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

The simplest way is, as stated above, when you run out, put a new stick in. However, the J.S. Wolf book “Loading Cartridges for the Original 1873 Springfield Rifle” suggested using a common desk top coffee cup warmer full of bullet
    Lube, then after you finish for the day, just remove the piston in the Star luber and fill it up. The coffee warmer doesn’t get hot enough to damage the lube. Have a cup of lube melting on the warmer as you start, by the time you finish, the lube will be melted and ready to pour. It works perfectly. I learned that it not only worked for my black powder lube but also worked for my smokeless powder lube. I LOVE that method.

NOTE:
    There are a couple of potential problems.
    One, make sure your chosen cup warmer gets hot enough with the particular cup you are using to melt the lube.

Two, do not overfill the sizer. There is a bleed hole to let air out of the sizer on the back of the Star Luber (use a flashlight and look inside the luber where you put the lube and you can see it). When you are filling with melted lube you must stop just below the bleed hole.

FWIW
    Dale53

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Well, I have a ME degree from Purdue, and that machine still gives me fits!

Boolit Master
    One of my first adventures with my magna star was squirting molten lube out of the vent hole all over the place , right after cleaning up the mess , I decided to stick a tooth pick in the hole when refilling it with melted hot lube .
    Be careful to not mess up the threads when trying to push down the spring replacing the top cap .

Boolit Grand Master

pcmacd;
    Years ago, I was having some of the same problems with my Star lube/sizer. I determined that I had the best results when I used a flat punch and sized the bullets nose first. Further, I started using nearly all of my cast bullets that utilized a single lube groove (like a Keith) or just lubed the first groove (as in the H&G wadcutter moulds). Suddenly my "problems" went away. No more trying to adjust the lube holes for every different bullet. It became almost absurdly easy.

That has worked for me since the 60's. My bullets are all self centering when sizing (using the flat punch) and very little adjustment changes are required.

I use Lar's Carnauba Red, and use a heater for my lube sizers, and now, lubing and sizing is just a BREEZE!

Dale53

I am with Dale53 albeit I do lube one vullet that requires three lube grooves. I don't lube the bullet often and when I do 0 lube a lot of them ztome sitting.

I have the air assist attached to my Magna Star. I fill it with lube tubes when the machine runds dry. I have my olfest son living with us for awhile. He helps with the pulling up of the ram when I go to add lube. If someone knows of an wasy whay to pull the plunger out I sure would love to hear it.

I still use my RCBS Lubricator for odd rifle bullets I cast. I also do some powder coating but still prefer wax based lubes.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Robert Bank, Flip the top cap on the sizer over so the flat portion sits on the top of the tube and just turn it to make it tighter and the plunger will come up. Rather slow but after it comes up just a bit, you can pull it out by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Caster View Post
    Robert Bank, Flip the top cap on the sizer over so the flat portion sits on the top of the tube and just turn it to make it tighter and the plunger will come up. Rather slow but after it comes up just a bit, you can pull it out by hand.
    I think I know what you are suggesting and will try it when I next add a tube of lube. Thanks for the tip. The manual for the Star is really quite void of information. I have the air assist plunger on my setup.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Run it to the end, put a new stick in, and take a break while it heats up.
    There is always something else to do for 10-15 minutes while it softens the new stick.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    I am with Dale53 albeit I do lube one vullet that requires three lube grooves. I don't lube the bullet often and when I do 0 lube a lot of them ztome sitting.

I have the air assist attached to my Magna Star. I fill it with lube tubes when the machine runds dry. I have my olfest son living with us for awhile. He helps with the pulling up of the ram when I go to add lube. If someone knows of an wasy whay to pull the plunger out I sure would love to hear it.

I still use my RCBS Lubricator for odd rifle bullets I cast. I also do some powder coating but still prefer wax based lubes.

Take Care

Bob
    I put a light coating of lithium (white) grease on the red washer. It helps a TON trying to get it out.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I put a light coating of lithium (white) grease on the red washer. It helps a TON trying to get it out.
    I use STOS for that, since it's what I have handy on the bench........

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Yes, I lube until the bullets do not get fully lubed, then I add an
    entire stick of lube.
    I still have a supply of Javelina lube and it is great for low heat
    conditions

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Great tip, thanks. You obviously have felt the pain. LOL. <y oldest is 6'2" and 240lbs. Even he puts his weight to it when pulling the plunger out . Your idea and reversing the cap will go along way in making life easier.

Take Care

Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12