Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options for Check Maker

Options for Check Maker

I have a FreeChex II or III in .30. Wanted one for .223 but put off buying it. Sharpshooter website only showing pistol calibers available. I like the idea of the one stroke check maker. So are there other alternatives available for making my own? I don't have access to a machine shop or mill to make my own punch.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Just a idea if there is a small machine shop not far from you and you know what the size of the checks you want take one of the tool you have and see if you can get the shop to make one for you . Might cost more that way but if you looking for one you can not find might be worth it .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

trapper9260;
    Thanks for the reply.

I think I have found what I was looking for.
    So after a week and one reply I'm outa here.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Banned
    there are detailed designs on the GC thread

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    what / where is this?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    what / where is this?
    Try this thread as it referenced two other threads. I just used advanced search.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...as+check+maker

Boolit Master
    I bought a mini lathe and after several attempts figured out how to make my own. Now with dimensions online it's a lot easier. I don't harden them but if a piece wears out it's easy to make another. Mine are one stroke type.

I bought a .44 and 9mm/357 check maker from sharpshooter22. The 44 does a decent job. But the 9mm/357 has a problem.

When trying to contact them use the contact form on their website https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.m...e#contact_form. They say it is the quickest way to get a response. I have had no response in a couple of days from emailing them.

As I said I'm having a problem with a 9mm/357 check maker. It cuts the skirt or part that goes up the side of the bullet on an angle. That makes one side of it too long to fit in the recess for the check on the bullet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	286782

I have used the form to request a swap for the check maker. Will let you know how that goes.

Got a message from Brian today. New check maker headed my way.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    I have a FreeChex II or III in .30. Wanted one for .223 but put off buying it. Sharpshooter website only showing pistol calibers available. I like the idea of the one stroke check maker. So are there other alternatives available for making my own? I don't have access to a machine shop or mill to make my own punch.
    Other than giving plans/drawings to a machine shop and have them make it.
    Mattesons Machine shop and Dima Prok both make single stroke makers. You can find them on "the book of face"

Boolit Master

Dima Prok's plans on making a checkmaker are on the Cosmos, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by lksmith View Post
    Other than giving plans/drawings to a machine shop and have them make it.
    Mattesons Machine shop and Dima Prok both make single stroke makers. You can find them on "the book of face"
    Do you know the cost of the one they make? I don't do FaceBook.

Well second check maker for .357/9mm came yesterday. Tried it today and it makes a check as good as alu check from Sage's Outdoors. So I'm good now.

Boolit Buddy
    Do you know the cost of the one they make? I don't do FaceBook.
    Dave is $80 unhardened or $100 hardened and Dima is $140 (I can't remember if hardened or not)

I forgot that he now has an external website. Good folks and good product (price ain't too bad either Pat is $100 + shipping for two step), just takes time being a small shop

https://www.mattesonsmachineshop.com/shop/
    Last edited by lksmith; 08-04-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I just wanted to fill you in on my experience with an order through Patmarlins. I placed an order for a 45 Colt plain base check maker on June 30th. After reading threads on this forum, I decided that I would rather have a single stage check maker from Matteson's Machine Shop. I figured that since my die from Pat had not been made I could get a refund from him through PayPal......Wrong! Pat's reply to my request was that he doesn't offer refunds on prepaid custom orders (this is listed on his website under terms). I incorrectly assumed that a refund could be made if production of the die had not been started or completed.
    I still placed an order through Matteson's and I must ay that Kim was a joy to work with. I understand that small business are having difficult times during COVID. I realize this as I am a business owner myself. I find it upsetting that Pat won't offer to refund my money. Just thought I would post my experience here so that future buyers have an understanding of Pat's terms BEFORE they make a purchase.
    Last edited by fjrdoc; 08-05-2021 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lksmith View Post
    Dave is $80 unhardened or $100 hardened and Dima is $140 (I can't remember if hardened or not)

I forgot that he now has an external website. Good folks and good product (price ain't too bad either Pat is $100 + shipping for two step), just takes time being a small shop

https://www.mattesonsmachineshop.com/shop/
    Would be interested to hear from some of you on here that have experience in using these check makers. Post photos if you don't mind. Yeah I know it's a pain. See post #10.

Boolit Buddy
    Would be interested to hear from some of you on here that have experience in using these check makers. Post photos if you don't mind. Yeah I know it's a pain. See post #10.
    I'll try to get some pics. Aside from a few small hiccups (too tight tolerance on 22 cal for my material. a little polishing compound while chucked in the drill press and it worked perfect) I have been happy. The biggest hiccup I had was on my 9mm PB the inner post on the bottom half came loose. But I just contacted Kim and Dave, the made it right and I had another one in hand the following week

Boolit Mold
    I bought a 9mm, 40/10mm, and a 50 from Dave and Kim. They are very nice and helpful. Using the dies takes a little learning, like with casting. The dies need a little lubricant, like WD40 or case lube. I use a big allen wrench and a rubber mallet to pop out each check after punching (this is where the lube comes in, so the check pops out without being deformed). I think a caliber-specific metal rod would help with this.

The size of the flashing depends on a few factors. Not just caliber. For instance, Dave says 40/10mm like .014" best, but since I powdercoat, which adds 2-3 thousandths, I've found my 40/10mm boolits like .0011" flashing.

The dies that are heat-treated are black. I can't imagine not getting them heat treated. They undergo a lot of impacts.

The 9mm also fit my Lee 358-158's ( .008 flashing):

Last edited by Castinator; 08-30-2021 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Added more pics

Boolit Master

Nice!
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Buddy
    Castinator. Could you explain how you use a hammer and allen wrench to knock out the checks? The threaded part mounts in the top of the press with the punch down. The die part mounts in the ram. I'm guessing that the punched out check stays in the top part when the ram is lowered.. Do I have it right so far? Thanks
    n.h.schmidt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast