RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Pedersoli 40-65 1874 Sharps rifle and Pedersoli USA 431 long range creedmor sight

Boolit Mold

Pedersoli 40-65 1874 Sharps rifle and Pedersoli USA 431 long range creedmor sight

Need some help from the experts so I’m asking here. I have mounted my Pedersoli creedmor sight (Pedersoli USA 431)on the tang of my Pedersoli 40-65 shiloulette rifle. The sight won’t adjust down far enough (because the top curve of the breech blocks the aperture) for me to try to sight it in at 100 yards, my starting point is closer to 200-250; which makes it harder for me to sight it in and be on paper. Any suggestions or am I just going to have to suck it up and start at the farther distances? Thank you in advance.

Is the sight at the correct orientation and not back to front?
    Picture please!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A3879305-F1CE-44DE-BEED-9BCD3DE2D6AD.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	285795
    I hope this works for you. The sight can be moved down on the mount more but it is just blocked more by the breech

Get a taller front sight
    Great minds discuss ideas
    Average minds discuss events
    Small minds discuss people

Boolit Grand Master

Sight in on a tall target at 100 yds, so that the elevation is at the height for 200 yds or close to it. Once you have the windage and high elevation going to 200 yds should be much easier

Boolit Mold
    I’ll try those. Thanks guys didn’t think of that

Banned

What's yer front sight? If it's the stock blade sight, you WILL need to replace it. A Lyman 17A or Shaver P-H @ .550" height should be more than enuf to get below 100yds - either are what you will need for good shooting. Your Pedersoli tang vernier is good as a plinker, but it's missing the necessary Soule windage and Hadley eye cup for good long range shooting accuracy. Overall, that's a good rifle. I have one like yours that I had Lee Shaver bore and chrome-moly reline to .45-70, along with a custom paper patch chamber, excellent shooter.

Boolit Mold
    I replaced the blade sight with a globe front sight, with the inserts, not sure which make it is. It is not that tall.

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800BAFD4-5694-4F83-9E11-294432CB10B0.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	285820

If you are planning to shoot long distance
    Get a sight with a level built in, you will need it
    Great minds discuss ideas
    Average minds discuss events
    Small minds discuss people

Boolit Mold
    whats the purpose of the rifle?? if its long range, doing anything at 100yd wont be worth your time anyway. get a good 200yd load and dial her up!!

Boolit Mold
    The rifle will probably only be used for target shooting. Right now no plans to hunt with it. Distances will probably be 300-400 tops. The pedersoli sight hopefully will be good for that with the possibility of a later upgrade. My 100 yard sight in is just easier for me to get it fairly close on paper then once I find a good accurate load, I can work on moving the distance out to what ever I’m comfortable/satisfied with probably in 100 yard increments. I did change the front sight as suggested and now can look down the bore and see my point of focus at 100 yards and through the sight. So this is a good start. All the suggestions are much appreciated. I had been shooting smokeless powders and now want to go with the black. Will research load date using the 400 grain “snover” (?) bullet I have cast. Again thank you.

I have been shooting both FFG and FFFG in my Pedersoli 40/65 with a 420 grain PPB, I have been getting good results with 53 grains FFG , but I am also pursuing the FFFG load a bit just to see if the velocity will hold a bit higher with accuracy.
    I plan to get out with my buddy's labradar so confirm.
    I am still experimenting with the FFFG charge as well , as this rifle loads completely different from the previous 40/65 Uberti I owned, not to mention the fact that I went from greasers to PPB'S!
    The learning curve is fantastic for me, as II am experiencing a complete revival of my love of black powder which I got away from when my older BP shooting crowd transcended to quieter ranges or moved out of town!
    I haven't shot this rifle at 100 yards yet, only at 200, but my front sight is tall enough that I think I can get it down to 100.
    I may change it for the hunting season however to a barrel mounted flip up sight in case the Soule gets beat up on horses or the ATV!
    David
    scopes and bags are cool, but palm rests 'n' irons RULE!