WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Redding Oversize Expander Sources

Redding Oversize Expander Sources

The expander in my Redding 45-70 dies is about .001-.002 too small. I'm shooting mostly .459 and occasionally .460 boolits. I called rRdding and their custom one is too big. The expander is .460 then the flare out is even more. So, too big for .459 or .460 sized boolits. Does anyone know a source for ordering over sized expanders for Redding dies?

Thanks.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    "I make what is basically "M" dies to replace the factory expander in any custom size wanted for friends or whoever.
    It is a hobby that makes me a little shooting money."
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ictures)/page4

"Just got one of these from Chill Wills. It's Bee-you-tee-full. A well made expander folks. Worth the $$. "

Take a .460 grind a tapper on the expanding end spinn it in a drill and use a piece of 400 grit emery till its smooth as a baby butt.
    Set you expander to dead stop to bell the case to the desired size. some adjustment may be needed till you get the angle you need.
    I just made one for my 9mm hornady powder through expander. I used a .357 and ground it like above. .355 is the size of the bullets and the case mouth is about the same. now I can adjust from.355 up to .357. M cast bullets range from .356 to.3565.
    Have not had any hitches at this point.

Thanks...that's what I was hopping for. It will be next week before I can get the existing expander out and take some measurements.

Thanks.

That was my backup plan. I would have to order the 460 and then polish it down. I'd rather just order the correct one but that would the the process if I hadn't heard from Chill Wills.

Thanks.

Buffalo Arms sells custom expanders for your dies for $20.00 nothing nobody has made is better nobody. They expand and do not bell . I too shoot .460” size boolits in my Shiloh 45-70 and use a .457”-.462 “ to account for spring back in the brass. Never have to run them back through another die to take the bell out so it will chamber either,the B/A expanders are nice to your expensive brass. I also only expand once when the brass is new and being prepped then it’s slip fit for either P.P. or G.G.

Boolit Bub

G'day from Downunder

g'day , contact Lathesmith on this site Chris will make one for you at a very good price , i have ordered many different one's from him over many years he all ways provides exactly what I need promptly and to my exact spec a quality product from a great supplier I highly recommend him

Regards Paul.

Got one from Chill Wills today and it looks and works great.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Take a look at NOE - they make expanding plugs to use in the Lee Universal Expander die

Go to their site - click on Shop at the top and then go to the list at the left and click on Expanders - it will then bring up pistol or rifle and you should find a selection that will work for the 45/70

I have always used Lyman M dies for what I reload but recently decided to go with the NOE expanders as a lot of folks have used them and liked them - the expander plugs are reasonably priced and allow you to have a variety of sizes to fit your needs. I am just getting set up to dp 45/70 and included a variety of the range of sizes for 45.70 in my recent order to NOE - looking forward to having a selection for a variety of cast sizes.

Not Redding but there are other options out there.

I also use the NOE expanders. I have them for many calibers. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    I use Ch-4D. Works great!

Boolit Grand Master

"I make what is basically "M" dies to replace the factory expander in any custom size wanted for friends or whoever.
    It is a hobby that makes me a little shooting money."
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ictures)/page4

"Just got one of these from Chill Wills. It's Bee-you-tee-full. A well made expander folks. Worth the $$. "

The NOE setup , custom sized expanders in the Lee Universal Expander Die body are also a good option . I have the Lee Expander and order the correct NOE expander insert every time I order a new NOE mould ... they work great also .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 07-28-2021 at 07:02 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Vendor Sponsor

Pros and Cons of a custom bullet expander

Here are a few thoughts on the Pros and Cons of a custom bullet expander. Trying to compare them to what can be ordered the main venders may be choice of apples and oranges. Your needs, wants and product availability effect the decision.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resizedtextDSCF4387.jpg  
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

The two diameter custom expanders are a direct replacement for the factory part (expander) in the 2 or three die sets and are to be installed in the factory expander die body. The expander you get when you buy a set of dies often run small to meet the widest range of handloader needs. These small diameter expanders work well for the tough jacketed bullets mainstream handloaders often use (in normal times) but imparts a lot of squeeze to the cast bullet, and may deform or even size down cast bullets during the seating operation. This is not so good for accuracy. Also, the stock/factory expander is often the single diameter type with a large flair above it. As all of us have experienced at one time of another, this flair needs to be adjusted so as not to make a large trumpet or bell on the mouth of the case. If the cases are not trimmed to the same length the amount of flair on the case will vary.
    The up side of the custom replacement two diameter expander is, no extra die body is needed. Just simply unscrew the stock part and replace it.
    Once replaced and set up, they are good to go each time, every time. Cases with normal length variation are no problem - Bullets will start Okay in any of these.
    Custom expanders can be had in any size - to include sizes not available by stock venders.
    There are direct replacement expanders in the marketplace now. Direct replacement expanders from the fulltime venders are not made sizes that screw into all brands of die body. This is because not all of die brands do not use the common 9/16-18 internal thread.
    Custom expanders become the only choice for the calibers not made by the big guys. As an example, NOE in rifle calibers, (who, by the way, makes very good products and outstanding molds) has is a void between 375/38 and the 405 Winchester and then just one additional size up to the 45 caliber rifles. If your needs are for a size that falls through the cracks, a special made expander is the solution.
    Chill Wills