Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: 25-20 Thread

Boolit Master

25-20 Thread

I have been trying to find any 25-20 threads on here. No luck on search function.

Anyone suggest some search terms to help?

I'm pondering a Marlin 1894 purchase from a friend.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

One of my favourite little rifles with an 80gn cast boolit!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    I can’t help you here but I’d drop over to the Marlin Owners forum. There is an abundance of info on the 25-20 there in all shapes and forms.

Where I can help you is if it’s a reasonable deal GRAB IT !!! Everyone loves their 25-20’s. Nice shooting lever, can be very accurate, joy to shoot for young,old,cripple,crazy folks and even a few regular people. Brass can be found and made from 32-20 brass which Starline sells. Dies and molds might be a little harder to grab right now and venders do sell cast for the lever if your not a caster.
    PM me if I can be of any help with questions.
    Don’t wait, grab that lever. They only going UP in price !

Mike

I have a Marlin 94 CL in 25-20 & 32-20 . Bought them new way back when they first came. I cast & PC for both & both are very accurate. If I can be of any assistance , would be glad to chat.

Boolit Master

Great little rifles. I also have both as well as Contender barrels and Savage 23 Bolt rifles in both of these calibers. Needless to say, I really like them!!

These have such a history and are uniquely American. Start looking for brass and please do not forget its a great cast bullet caliber too!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Have you done any research in to what the oldtimers used to hunt with the .25/20 and the .32/20? Just amazing and in the original loadings which were pretty anemic. I guess no one told them it couldn't be done.

I have a Contender .32/20 barrel (.308 bore) and eventually I'll get it threaded and shoot subsonic cast out of it. Right now I load 125 jacketed in it and push them to just shy of 2000fps. But of course the brass is backed up by modern steel. In a 100 year old rifle I wouldn't consider doing that.

Moderator Emeritus
    It will take you a couple days to get through this 25-20 thread: https://www.marlinowners.com/threads...loaders.26002/

There is a lot of cast load data and testing that was done.

I have a Marlin 94 CL in 32-20 and 25-20 and really like them.

Banned

I've just begun dabbling in it, but 3.5 grains of 700X and some 70 grain cast FNs make a good squirrel load in my Savage 23.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Grand Master

At my Uncle's farmhouse , in the kitchen , a Winchester 32-20 model 92 , lived leaning against the wall , just to the right of the back door between the door jamb and the end of the kitchen base cabinet . Since it was so accessible it was the first firearm I remember getting my little boy hands on ...
    That rifle stayed there as long as my Uncle was alive and I know he used it on to kill hogs for slaughter , deer ( he grew corn out behind the house) a fox that was killing his chickens and several steer , for slaughter . Crows ... I don't think he kept track but they liked to eat his corn .
    " Keep the range short and place the first bullet well " was his advice . He let me shoot it , probably more than his own son ... I didn't realize how costly ammunition was for a poor East Texas dirt farmer ...but he was my favorite Uncle and I only got to spend summers with him and my aunt ... they let me get away with murder !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

My Winchester '92 was built in 1909 and is the 5th rifle that I have owned. Over the years, I horse traded the rifle I had at the time for a better one until I got an original, all matching numbers Ser No. **3423, (23 being my birthday) and a barrel as close to mint as I could wish for!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    My Winchester '92 was built in 1909 and is the 5th rifle that I have owned. Over the years, I horse traded the rifle I had at the time for a better one until I got an original, all matching numbers Ser No. **3423, (23 being my birthday) and a barrel as close to mint as I could wish for!
    If you do buy it I could send you some coated cast I have cast from an original Winchester 25/20 mould. Oh by the way your doing well for a guy I am assuming was born in 1923.Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Mine are a Win 92 1921 made and a Savage 23. The Win is my favorite walk about small game rifle. Although the bore is not pristine, it will still shoot the Lyman 69gr under 2" at 100yds. I don't shoot jacketed in either gun.