Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bear kills woman in Ovando, Mt.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Bunk. You do realize brown bear are regularly hunted in Alaska and eaten? Every person I've ever heard describe it, puts it as decent to very good taste. Who cares about Trichinosis? Tons of animals I eat can have it, including black bear, you simply have to cook them to 160 degrees. It's the same stuff pigs get, and nobody ever worries about bacon. Even squirrels can have it.

Me thinks an Idaho local is trying to scare others from applying if they ever go through with a hunting season. Yep, and our ducks eat nothing but weeds and lead shot, they taste like mud. No need to eat ducks or hunt South Dakota.
    Well my friend if you can find a legally shot Grizz (maybe in Alaska) you are most welcome to feast away. Myself I'd rather eat a skunk and you can bet I'm not doing that. Even First Nation Canadians don't eat Grizzly meat and they aren't known to be picky eaters. Read up on what Alaska guides have to say on the subject. As to shooting Grizzly in Idaho. I have no love for the beast and am glad we keep distance between ourselves. Gp

Boolit Master
    I got a feeling grizzly bears might like the taste of people more than people like the taste of grizzly , but ive never eaten grizzly,
    ive heard someone say if they have just woken from hibernation the tase is awful.
    hopefully no more bikers will get attacked

Another Grizzly attack this morning in Island Park Idaho. Early morning hiker-jogger had an unfortunate encounter with a sow and cub. He made it back to the cabin and called 911. Injuries aren't thought to be life threatening. Gp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    hopefully no more bikers will get attacked
    THIS... I have a lot of friends in the cross country cycling community and events like this do not go unnoticed. In the past 5 years, literally 10,000+ people had cycled through Ovando and few have ever seen a bear. A couple of years back, some young bears did bluff charges on cyclists but nothing major. IMHO this was due to people leaving garbage out that attracts them more than anything else. Every bear that I've seen on my rides has had nothing todo do with humans.
    In 2018, coming over Cabin Pass in B.C. we spooked a mountain lion. Like 15' away from us. We are all keenly aware of what it means to be in the food chain.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Quote Originally Posted by trebor44 View Post
    I stand corrected: https://geology.com/stories/13/bear-areas/
    I just don't understand why those "ghost bears" are in Boise and other 'non populated' areas! Those "experts" might know, or did they (the bears) not check on the internet where they are supposed to be?
    The map showing the location of blackbears in Montana is NOT accurate. If it is inaccurate here, it is likely inaccurate elsewhere.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doughty View Post
    The map showing the location of blackbears in Montana is NOT accurate. If it is inaccurate here, it is likely inaccurate elsewhere.
    I think you are starting to split hairs. Based on what I have heard, brown bears are slightly expanded from that, but it isn't like they are spilling out of those states. I've never seen one in eastern Wyoming or Montana, and don't know anyone who has. I can't even find a case of a lone bear wandering into the Dakota's in the last 100 years, and brown bear used to be all over the plains according to the journals of Lewis and Clark.

Here is a map from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. I didn't realize there were that far into Washington, but still, not that much different than every other map out there.

https://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie...website.V3.jpg

Boolit Grand Master
    Wife and I were in Island Park, ID just this past weekend. Where we were staying, we were told not to go walking late in the evening because of bears. There was a sign in the cabin that had "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, except for bears. Bears will kill you"

megasupermagnum,
    Maybe you didn't notice that I was referencing blackbears, while you where speculating about brown bears. Maybe that's the hair you are splitting. Blackbears are found further east than what the referenced map indicates. Enough to make me question the accuracy of what the map indicates for the southern range of the grizzly in Idaho. But perhaps this is also "bunk" based upon what you've been told, heard, read, or not seen.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doughty View Post
    megasupermagnum,
    Maybe you didn't notice that I was referencing blackbears, while you where speculating about brown bears. Maybe that's the hair you are splitting. Blackbears are found further east than what the referenced map indicates. Enough to make me question the accuracy of what the map indicates for the southern range of the grizzly in Idaho. But perhaps this is also "bunk" based upon what you've been told, heard, read, or not seen.
    What do black bears have to do with anything? I wasn't speculating. The woman was attacked by a brown bear.

Boolit Master
    I don't know what jackwagon drew that map - but they obviously are oblivious to actual bears.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I lived in AK for 32 years but never hunted brown bear. I hunted and fished a lot tent camping style and only had an issue with a brown bear once. My friend and I were fishing a remote river that we rode our four wheelers to. We spent three nights
    on the bank of a salmon chocked river with no issues. When we hiked out to our wheelers , about 1/2 mile, we found both seats chewed up as well as a couple of gas cans and a few other things that we had not packed in to the river. I retired and moved to Eureka MT 5 years ago and that summer we Had three brownies staying around our house. There was a mother and two two year olds. One afternoon I happened to look out the window and saw one of the young ones about half way across the field in front of the house apparently heading for the choke cherry tree in the front yard. A single round from my 454 casull carbine in front of his nose kicked up a bunch of dust and he quickly left.

It is sad to see someone mauled or killed by a bear but it does happen and then there is always the arm chair quarter backs that say they should have done this or that but no one can survive living in the red zone there whole life.

Also, people that stay active in their older age seem to live longer and healthier barring accidents or bear attacks. It sucks to die when you still have stuff you want to do but better that than wasting away sitting on the porch watching the world go by.

By the way, my friend hunted brownies and had some of the meat turned into pepperoni sticks. It was terrible. He brought some to work and tried to find someone to give it to but after a taste, he couldn't even give it away. The eskimo ate some things that would scare most folks but I never saw an eskimo that would eat brown bear.
    Last edited by rbuck351; 07-10-2021 at 02:30 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

No kidding. In a country where obesity is by far the biggest health crisis causing huge amounts of heart problems, cancer, and diabetes, as well as raising your risk of just about anything. They are talking down on a 65 year old dead woman who chose to stay fit as though you are supposed to stop everything when you retire.

Boolit Master
    As an update. They located and killed the bear close to the chicken coop that it had ravaged the night of the attack. They will do a DNA check to ensure that it was the correct bear.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/grizzly-b...lifornia-woman

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    No kidding. In a country where obesity is by far the biggest health crisis causing huge amounts of heart problems, cancer, and diabetes, as well as raising your risk of just about anything. They are talking down on a 65 year old dead woman who chose to stay fit as though you are supposed to stop everything when you retire.
    Muscle Tone goes fast when you are over 65 like me, it's use it or lose it. I swapped out 800 lbs of batteries and plumbed 4 inch pipe This week. There are a lot of us that ain't giving up till we hit the finish line.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Very true...
    When I finally leave this planet, I want my body to be like the BluesMobile...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bluesmobile_falling_apart.gif 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	285855

Moderator Emeritus

It may depend on what you are calling Eastern MT. East of Billings, probably not, in Lewistown area? yes there are recent sightings.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    It may depend on what you are calling Eastern MT. East of Billings, probably not, in Lewistown area? yes there are recent sightings.
    Well eastern half at least. Lewiston looks to be about dead center in the state. Either way, people are arguing over discrepancies of 25-50 miles, basically a days walk for a wild animal. Lewiston is only 100 miles from the edge of their range on any map I see, not a huge surprise that one might turn up there every so often.

Boolit Buddy
    Someone needs to tell that griz on the golf course in Hamilton MT that he should not be there according to the "map"!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    Griz don't read maps and pretty much go where they want and do what they want.

Boolit Grand Master
    As people encroach more and more into their habitat, there will be more and more attacks.
    Two solutions.
    Stay out of their habitat.
    Wipe them out.
    I vote for stay out of their habitat.
    The post office was, at one time, part of their habitat.
    You think gooberment would kill off all the bears because the kill people????
    It's like banning firearms because disturbed people murder.
    Sad reality of our times.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast