RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: 98 action

Boolit Master

98 action

could any one tell me what 98 action goes for?It has a 3006 barrel with it that not in verry good shape

Boolit Master

sorry about the double post

No priblem, I deleted it for you. There were no responses in it.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

thinks

Boolit Buddy
    98 actions are a funny thing and kinda a category all into their own...alot of places made different ones (Like FN) and many others. Then some were made by different counties making them worth more or less, some were made during WW2 and had German markings, making them worth more to some and less to others. Ones with a complete bolt seem to be worth more because tracking down a bolt always seems like a $100 adventure, I apologize for this not being that much help as too a dollar amount, but I hope it can help you expand on what to look for.......

Boolit Master

I will give you the same advice that my machinist teacher gave me when he was teaching me to build bolt action rifles.”Buy a complete rifle ! Hunting the small parts will drive you crazy and make you go broke!” Screws and small parts vary between manufacturers and shipping on small parts gets expensive!

Offer 100 dollars for it. Any complete 98 action is worth at least that. More details would help a lot to put a price on it. A barreled ACTION is worth more than a barreled RECEIVER for instance.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    And if you just want a rifle to shoot, go buy a complete rifle in shootable shape. There is no way you can rebarrel a rifle and come out money wise compared to a used or even new Savage.

If you want the fun of building your own rifle on the other hand, have fun with it.

Like a lot of other gun related questions the answer is: It depends.

With a 98 Mauser there is even more to the depends. Commercial or military? Which commercial or which military? Large ring or small? Sporter or still military? Already drilled and tapped with scope friendly bolt? Trigger? Complete or does it need "just a few parts"? What type of bottom metal does it have?

Good Luck,

Robert

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I gave $25 for a Santa Barbara 98 bolt and receiver .
    Spent $85 for a hinged floor plate .
    $10-12 for a GI 2 stage trigger and sear .
    An under appreciated mildly eccentric gun smith gave me a take off 358 barrel he rethreaded from Arisaka to the SB98 and set the headspace .
    He gave me fitted screws for the action .
    I was grousing about in a garage and gave $10 for a Fajin stock that had set in it's box in the desert heat long enough for large portions of the urethane to lift and flake off .
    I have about $60 in the Weaver rail , rings , and K4 El Paso .
    Ended up with a 358 Win , 98' scoped that shoots under .7 for 5 when the wing nut behind the stock does his part under $200 .
    Of course if the smith had charged his time , I'd bought the barrel , gone to a nice Timney and bought the Leopold stuff it could have been a grand quick .

Any LR 98' with large ring threads , minimal pitting below the wood and clean above is worth $75 with a bolt . Stamps , origin , D&T , trigger , bottom metal , no thumb cut , all adds value for the builder at 50-75% of their cost . There are exceptions of course . The barrel is only worth what it's worth .....

We can't all get lucky all the time ......
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I'd say $125 average and $150 for a nice one.

DG