Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Ruger single six 22 lr/22mag

Ruger single six 22 lr/22mag

I purchased a new to me, Ruger 1970 model single six convertible. Everything I read, says sr #’s are stamped on the cylinders. Just where is it that number is hiding?

From what I have read the guns that shipped with only one cylinder did not have the number engraved on the cylinder.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    If they are there their either stamped or etched on the face of the cylinder

Super Moderator

My old model single six convertible cylinders are not marked. I thought I remembered that they were...but upon pulling it out of the safe and inspecting it they aren't marked.

Correction: I cleaned the cylinder face and the last 3 digits of the SN are very lightly electro-penciled.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 07-07-2021 at 07:29 PM.

My Single Six cylinders are both hand engraved very lightly on the front with the last three numbers of each gun's serial number.

The three numbers are spread out and very faint.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Single Six Cyl Number magnified IMG_0609.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	285749

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Single six cyl markup IMG_0608.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	362.6 KB 
ID:	285750

As mentioned, the last three numbers of the serial number are put on the cylinder face with an electric pencil, done free hand. There was no engraving or stamping of serial numbers on the cylinders.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

FYI

( A Blacksmith Guide to Ruger Rimfire Revolvers, 1953-1973 by J. C. Munnell )

Ruger first started making uncatalogued SS convertibles just after 1961 with frames marked for .22 Magnums, that had an extra LR cylinder - with the last three SN digits stamped into the face of the LR extra cylinder.

Catalogued SS convertibles were introduced at about SN 169000, had standard SS frames, and had the last three digits of the SN stamped into the face of the Magnum cylinder; the LR cylinders had no SN marking.

Super SS convertibles made from 1965-1973, introduced the rear sight ears atop the cylinder frame, and had the SN scratched into the front of the Magnum cylinder.

After about SN 36444, the last three digits of the convertible's SN were scratched into the face of the Magnum cylinder with an electric pencil; the LR cylinders had no such SN marking.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I stand corrected. It appears some of the very early guns were stamped, but I've never seen one.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I just look at my and it have the last 3 numbers written like stated on the Mag and on my it have a X also on it and it is on both cylinders. They both written the same place and way . They are all match with the gun. I bought this gun new in the mid 80's . It is my trap line gun.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

That little critter I have, has the tattooed number hidden very well I guess, I can’t seem to find it.